Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring Gobbler

(Clinton County)

Default Spring Gobbler

The season is approaching the turkeys are gobbling. Is everyone gearing up and getting ready? Mentored day April 25th regular season opens May 2nd. Lets hear your stories and remember hunting thread rules pics or it didn't happen.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Spring Gobbler

First time turkey hunting, been practicing my calls since the beginning of the year. Not sure how many confused looks I get during my commute to/from work, I'm too busy calling to notice :P

Any good suggestions on public land around Pittsburgh? Been checking out Hillman State Park recently.

(Clinton County)

Good luck I hope you have a safe and enjoyable season. Sometimes the hardest part of turkey hunting is how often and how aggressive to call. Hopefully someone will chime in on the area you plan on hunting.

(Berks County)

They're timbering around the club land I belong to, so the spot I saw a ton of turkeys last year is all mixed up. This will be my 2nd year going for spring gobbler, so hopefully I will be able to get a bit closer. I'm going to go with my grandfather's single shot 16 ga. It's patterning pretty well out to about 30-40 yards max.

Does anyone have a favorite calling tutorial video? I can't use a mouth call to save my life, so I try with a box call & striker/plate.

(Allegheny County)

I watched a bunch of random YouTube videos, and read a bunch of articles.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...ling-learn.htm

Not exactly a video, but some helpful tips. The most helpful part was...

Next, you'll learn how to make the two syllable sound of a Yelp. A yelp consists of a single high note, followed by a second lower note. You will learn to make an exaggerated yelp first, then speed it up to make the correct snappy yelping sounds. Start with about 2 seconds of the high-pitched squeal you have already learned, followed by removal of your tongue from the reed(s), or simply opening your mouth, either of which will produce the second lower note. It sort of sounds like the mewing sound of a young elk calf. It should sound like This (audio). After you have mastered that sound, all you have to do is speed it up, going faster and faster, until you reach the snappy yelping sound. The general progression of your practice may sound like This (audio).
    The progressively high to low practice was REALLY helpful, and I was consistently yelping after about 2 weeks of commutes to and from work.

I also used the NWTF's website and app (paid). While the app is pretty much the website broken down into phone friendly form, it does allow you to simultaneously play a recording of your call while playing a recording of an actual turkey. I can yelp, cluck, purr, and cutt pretty well, but kee kees are still a bit tough for me.
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; April 16th, 2015 at 08:42 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Problem with Pa's turkey season it starts about 2-3weeks to late, makes calling them in much more challenging. I've had better luck later in the morning.

I've got turkeys all around me now, the woods are full of them. I had a couple talking back to me this morning.

I used to drive watching for kids, now I have to beware of turkeys. If I want to see a few I just take the road out from mine and there they are, everyday.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

For some reason Turkey hunting never interested me. Spring is a busy time of the year around the homestead.

Anyway good luck!
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

I keep seeing them while driving around as well. Today, the boys & I almost whacked 2 toms crossing the street while we were going to school.

(Lehigh County)

Haven't gone turkey in a while. I think they trapped them from my area and relocated them. I used to see 30-50 in deer season. None this year
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast