Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Small steal autos: new philosophy of mine.

I love revolvers. I owned many different revolvers over the years, some of them huge (Ruger Alaskan), some of them small (J-frames). The .38 snub nose revolver, in many circles, is still considered a top choice for a small and concealable pistol that has adequate ballistics if the correct ammo is chosen.

I have discovered a new appreciation for small auto-loaders with all-steel construction. I know that polymer is king these days, with aluminum not far behind, but I just prefer that my firearms be all steel construction. While the .38 snub is a great 'get off me' tool, I do think that the pistols I now like to carry play that role, but maybe even with additional advantages.

Here is the Makarov PM (Russian) and the Walther PPK/S (S&W). These two pistols are ROUGHLY the same overall length and height of a steel J-frame snub nose. They are thinner in profile, and the Makarov holds 9 rounds while the PPK/S holds 8 rounds. This is a serious upgrade in capacity over a 5 shot snubnose. Both of these pistols are slightly heavier, when loaded, than a loaded steel framed snubnose, but the weight difference is insignificant.

Reliability? These two pistols have not jammed on me once. They both have an excellent track record of being about as reliable as a pistol can be.

.380 auto against .38 spl.? I WON'T make this into a caliber war. I'll just say my own impressions are: .38 spl. from a 2 inch barrel and a .380 auto out of a 3.5-4 inch barrel...any difference really begins to split hairs.

What I like about these two little steel work-horses are the 9 or 8 round capacity and a quick reload. They are also much easier to 'point and shoot' accurately than a snub-nose, which takes a TON of practice.

I love my wheel guns, but for 'light' and ultra-concealable carry, I've been going with small steel autos lately.

Thoughts?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by American1776; May 19th, 2015 at 01:51 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Small steal autos: new philosophy of mine.

I carry my Star M43 9mm primarily over my M&P. Mostly due to size. The Star is heavy for a small gun. I get a 7+1 Capacity and it is easy to shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

I like both. My SW 638 for me is a great little point shooter, with a pretty nice staging trigger with a crisp break. The sheer simplicity adds to it's appeal for me. I have however always thought the Sig 232 was absolute sexiness !

Cb

Sorry but my photo isn't uploading.

How are Star pistols Bill67? I've seen them now and again but don't know what to think.

Solrac7: I had a Sig P232 and sold it. I've been wanting a Stainless P232, but that whole model has been discontinued by Sig. Prices have gone skyhigh.

While I'm not a 'capacity fanboy', I do think there are real advantages of having 8+1 or 7+1 over 5 in the same size platform.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Small steel autos: new philosophy of mine.

This is my only Star. I bought it a few years ago. It was new in the box. I have had some FTE"s, but it turns out it was in my wrist. The size of the slide dictates a firm grip and a stiff forearm, whereas I would be shooting with my elbow slightly bent. Not enough resistance to cycle. I changed my ways, and have had zero problems. Thanks go to fellow poofer cdi for straightening me out. I added the wood grips. They look nice, but the stock rubber grips are better for holding on. I do shoot it a lot.

I was OCing the star in Home depot a couple months back and a guy walked past me and said "nice Star." Good eye.

I carry a Romanian PPK clone and it's a great shooter.

Fits in pocket if you want to carry that way too.

I do not (yet) own a polymer gun.

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I carry a Romanian PPK clone and it's a great shooter.

Fits in pocket if you want to carry that way too.

I do not (yet) own a polymer gun.
    Yes, the good thing about these small pistols is that they do well both for belt carry and for pocket holster carry.

They are large enough to be considered compact service / duty guns, but also small enough for pocket carry.

Smile Re: Small steal autos: new philosophy of mine.

I have only one issue with these two outstanding firearms,That damm Mak the magazine when loading it has a very sharp edge on the side oof it.Had the MAK in the 80s when they could be had for $129,and Walther agreat accurate one as both these guns. JMO/MDT

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    I have only one issue with these two outstanding firearms,That damm Mak the magazine when loading it has a very sharp edge on the side oof it.Had the MAK in the 80s when they could be had for $129,and Walther agreat accurate one as both these guns. JMO/MDT
    Yes, I know exactly the sharp point you're referring to. It's like someone took a file to it so as to carve a point.

Inside the Makarov are a bunch of really sharp points as well. When cleaning it, one has to be careful not to get cut or punctured by it's sharp edges. But the darned thing feeds ammo no matter what! I'd say that this Makarov would keep shooting reliably longer than my Walther PPK/S, and would probably even stand up to dirt and grime better than my HK P7s.

(Montgomery County)

I have to agree. I can't shoot my LCR worth a damn anymore because I've been spoiled by the LC9s. That, plus the limited capacity and slower reloads, it hasn't been carried at all lately.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast