Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Underwood 357 magnum--WOW

yesterday I got around to trying the Underwood 125 grain .357 magnum JHP. The advertised velocity is 1700 ft/s from a 6 inch barrel and 1500 ft/s from a 3 inch barrel. I used my Ruger GP100 Match Champion. My guess is that it's doing an honest 1600 ft/s from my Ruger 4 inch barrel.

This load is INSANE. After shooting some Fiocchi 158 gr. SJHP, which are no slouches and have a little more report than a short-barreled .40 S&W, the Underwood 125 grainers are absolutely monstrous. The high pitch crack is other-worldly. I've owned a lot of big bore revolvers over the years, and the loudest gun I've ever shot was my S&W model 58 .41 magnum. These Underwood 125 grain 357s are just one level beneath the thunderous .41 mag.

I'd say it's more than twice as loud as the Fiocchi 158 grain .357 magnums. Recoil is manageable but brisk from the GP100. I'd say this is the ammo I'll keep in my revolvers, and should I ever need it, there isn't much more short of a rifle that these round can accomplish.

Try the Underwood stuff-- it's the real deal.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Underwood 357 magnum--WOW

I just purchased a batch 0f 9mm Extreme Penetrator ammo from Underwood. The Extreme Penetrator was the subject of a thread some weeks back. It sounded like super 9mm. I emailed customer service at Underwood to ask about the penetration of the 9mm round. The reply stated that in a standard ballistic gel test with a 4 inch barrel the round penetrated 36 inches.It went on to say that most people use it in case they run into a bear or mountain lion. Since I do several trips a year into PA black bear country I decided too purchase some. It will arrive on Tuesday (4/14). It sounds too good to be true, but it is a better back up to bear spray than my Hornady Self Defense ammo. I'll test shoot it within a week of arrival. I'll try to report back here with my findings.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I just purchased a batch 0f 9mm Extreme Penetrator ammo from Underwood. The Extreme Penetrator was the subject of a thread some weeks back. It sounded like super 9mm. I emailed customer service at Underwood to ask about the penetration of the 9mm round. The reply stated that in a standard ballistic gel test with a 4 inch barrel the round penetrated 36 inches.It went on to say that most people use it in case they run into a bear or mountain lion. Since I do several trips a year into PA black bear country I decided too purchase some. It will arrive on Tuesday (4/14). It sounds too good to be true, but it is a better back up to bear spray than my Hornady Self Defense ammo. I'll test shoot it within a week of arrival. I'll try to report back here with my findings.
    We'd look forward to reading your boots on ground "just hiking in the woods" report.

And if possible, be sure to post a few pics of the bear.

This must be an H110 load. Any ideas?
    - bamboomaster

(Lehigh County)

I've shot Underwood's 357Mag 125 gr bonded FMJ (Item #120) out of my Pietta 1873 SAA clone.
    Everyone; including range officer; stopped what they were doing to watch me and started debating amongst themselves as to what I was shooting.
    Everyone thought it was at least 44 Mag.
    --ET

I've never shot Underwood's .357 Mag ammo, but I have no doubt it's great and full power. I really like their 10mm loads.

Bamboomaster - I'd say there's a pretty good chance it's H110/W296, but it's hard to say. It might sound odd but Unique is actually pretty impressive with max loads & 125 gr. bullets in .357 Mag. Check out a few older manuals or Alliant's website.

(Clarion County)

FWIW Someone tore some 10mm down and reported 800x.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.