Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Northumberland County)

Default How do I clean up old ammo?

Recently, I got 1200 rds. of .30-06 from CMP. It has been in storage in cardboard boxes for decades, and a few of the rounds are beginning to show a bit of corrosion on the brass, particularly the necks. However, nothing that would make me question the integrity of the round.

What should I do to clean to them up to store them? Brasso?

Any suggestions?
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: How do I clean up old ammo?

Brasso might work. Scotchbrite should work, also, as will bronze wool. You can get mounted wheels made from Scotchbrite at Enco (www.use-enco.com) that you can chuck in your hand drill, if that'll help. I wouldn't spin it too fast; you don't want the cartridges flying around the shop!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Jefferson County)

A tumbler.

Ammo manufacturers tumble most of theirs before packaging.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A tumbler.

Ammo manufacturers tumble most of theirs before packaging.
    You can tumble finished ammo??? I dont reload, but know a little about tumblers - that they tumble the casings and knock off any debris.

Interesting.... what kind of medium would one use for finished ammo?

Damn... may have to get a tumbler now.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Berks County)

I use crushed walnut shells (sold in pet stores/walmart) for tumbling, very cheap. I haven't bought any of the expensive media ever.

I add a cap full of flitz polish, sometimes nu finish car wax.

I don't normally tumble finished rounds, usually surplus ammo that is dirty, had some 7.62x51 that had an oily residue, tumbled it clean.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northumberland County)

That is exactly what I am doing - its Greek surplus ammo that just got dirty from sitting in the cardboard for my guess is 30 years.

Awesome, awesome. How long do you tumble, just until they look good?

Anyone have a good line on a decent tumbler what will work with .30-06 rounds?
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    . . . a few of the rounds are beginning to show a bit of corrosion on the brass, particularly the necks.
    Since the issue is confined mainly to the case neck area, I question if it's truly corrosion or simply discoloration from annealing the brass prior to loading. Annealed brass has a metallic brown/bronze look to it, but brass corrosion will be white, whitish-blue, or turquoise and powdery.

If it's just the annealing coloration on your ammo, fuggedaboudit.

Noah

(Northumberland County)

Its definately not the annealing, that I recognize.

Its actually little brown colored spots... check out the pic on this page, its about half way down.
    http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm
    None of my rounds are NEARLY that bad, just little spots particularly around the annealed necks. I am wondering if I am just barking up the wrong tree and to let it be after all.
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    Its definately not the annealing, that I recognize.

Its actually little brown colored spots... check out the pic on this page, its about half way down.
    http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm
    None of my rounds are NEARLY that bad, just little spots particularly around the annealed necks. I am wondering if I am just barking up the wrong tree and to let it be after all.
    That's corrosion. If your rounds aren't that bad, maybe it would pay to try to remove it, to prevent it getting worse.

Noah

(York County)

I tumble old ammo in my "vibrating" case tumbler and i know ohhhhh probably 10 or 12 reloaders that also do it ... no problems .....a vibrating tumbler is actually very gentle ... walnut is usually used to clean very dirty brass and corn cob for polishing.... 20 minutes or so in corn cob does the trick for me on my dirty "live" ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast