Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Carry permit for someone with a 2 year green card

Hey, everyone. Someone I'm friends with has a 2 year green card (and will most likely be getting a 10 year green card when the 2 year is up) and is interested in getting her carry permit in our great state. I've been trying to find information on this and haven't had much luck online so far.

Can anyone provide any information? Any and all is greatly appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carry permit for someone with a 2 year green card

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    Hey, everyone. Someone I'm friends with has a 2 year green card (and will most likely be getting a 10 year green card when the 2 year is up) and is interested in getting her carry permit in our great state. I've been trying to find information on this and haven't had much luck online so far.

Do you mean an H visa? Green cards are quite different and as an ex-green card holder (when they really were green) they do not have a time limit as they are the route to citizenship. If you have a green card and are married to an US citizen, as I am, then you could apply for citizenship after three years rather than the 5 year wait following your green card. In my case, I came in with a green card in 1968 directly from the UK, so no problems. Today!! Dave_n

(Berks County)

From what I found was green card and documents, valid photo ID, and three months proof of PA residency (electric bill,etc). Doesn't sound to be too hard.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post

Unless otherwise specified, the rights, privileges, responsibilities and duties which apply to all other lawful permanent residents apply equally to conditional permanent residents, including but not limited to the right to apply for naturalization (if otherwise eligible), the right to file petitions on behalf of qualifying relatives, the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws, such status not having changed; the duty to register with the Selective Service System, when required; and the responsibility for complying with all laws and regulations of the United States. All references within this chapter to lawful permanent residents apply equally to conditional permanent residents, unless otherwise specified.
    http://www.uscis.gov/iframe/ilink/do...0-0-35954.html

I believe the only thing that's different is that the LPR status expires if not renewed. Care is required here because you don't want to be an alien unlawfully in the US (and therefore prohibited to possess a firearm and ineligible for an LTCF) - even for a day. So she really needs to ensure that she files the proper paperwork within the 90 day window before the conditional status expires.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    http://www.uscis.gov/iframe/ilink/do...0-0-35954.html

I believe the only thing that's different is that the LPR status expires if not renewed. Care is required here because you don't want to be an alien unlawfully in the US (and therefore prohibited to possess a firearm and ineligible for an LTCF) - even for a day. So she really needs to ensure that she files the proper paperwork within the 90 day window before the conditional status expires.
    This is what I was looking for. Thank you very much.