Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Real hands on Class for Dillon 550? Added a class

http://www.kingshooters.com/reloadin...s-p-49587.html

If you are trying to decide between one brand of reloader or another or if you're are trying to decide between a Dillon 550 or 650?

I went to this class a few months ago even though I already have been reloading since 1982 or so. I already had a variety of presses ranging from singles, turrets, a Dillon 550 and a 650 that I've had since around 2002 or so.

If you live within driving distance of King of Prussia, it's well worth the $25 for a 3 hour plus session to teach you how to setup a Dillon 550. I prefer the 550 for things like 308, 300 WM, 30-06, 7mm RM while I prefer the 650 for .223, 9mm, and 45. In this class, they waited around until everyone who wanted to, setup all the fine details of everything it took to load a cartridge.

After finishing the class? If you like the 550, I think they will even have them in stock. They have a lot of Dillon parts in their store. Roger even says that if you buy one and then have a problem at particular stage, you can bring it into the store to fix your problem.
    Red or Blue, I don't see how you can go better than that.

Smitty56.

PS, The biggest mystery in this class was that it was just about all older men, 40's and up with a few women as well in the class There were no young people at all.
    Is that because younger folks don't think about the concepts of reloading ammo or that they think it is too hard to learn? Reloading is a huge investment for your future and making sure you can shoot more for less, always having ammo, even in bad times. They have online signups in order to get in making it really easy to sign up for the limited class seats they have. If they run out, I bet King Shooters creates more classes.
    Last edited by smitty56; April 15th, 2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: your to you're (darn spell check)

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Real hands on Class for Dillon 550?

smitty56 asks
    PS, The biggest mystery in this class was that it was just about all older men, 40's and up with a few women as well in the class There were no young people at all.
    Is that because younger folks don't think about the concepts of reloading ammo or that they think it is too hard to learn?
    Much as I hate to say it gun sports are not in the wheelhouse of most young people these days. Popular culture is too much against it and it is a decidedly "uncool" thing. The only youth you'll see participating in gun sports in general are those who grew up in gun friendly households.

Conventional Pistol, International Pistol, Smallbore rifle and high power rifle shooting competitions have all but disappeared, go to any IDPA or other action pistol match and you'll see few, if any 20 somethings participating.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Im 33 have been reloading for a few years now and know or a few 20's-30's guys that do too. Started with a rockchucker and added a 550.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    http://www.kingshooters.com/reloadin...s-p-49587.html.

If you live within driving distance of King of Prussia, it's well worth the $25 for a 3 hour plus session to teach you how to setup a Dillon 550. I prefer the 550 for things like 308, 300 WM, 30-06, 7mm RM while I prefer the 650 for .223, 9mm, and 45. In this class, they waited around until everyone who wanted to, setup all the fine details of everything it took to load a cartridge.
    ^^^^ This is the reason that I go to Roger when I have any reloading question.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    smitty56 asks

Much as I hate to say it gun sports are not in the wheelhouse of most young people these days. Popular culture is too much against it and it is a decidedly "uncool" thing. The only youth you'll see participating in gun sports in general are those who grew up in gun friendly households.
    Well all I can say is that when my daughter wants to shoot 5.56x45 rounds, she stops by for a "visit" and loads her own match-grade rounds. When she needs 9's, 45's, etc., she loads them too.

The best part of it is that she cooks dinner at the end of the day and happily lugs her own ammo cans to her car.

But she's been shootin' since she was six years old. Her nickname is "The Shredder" (which is what she normally does to bullseyes)
    - bamboomaster

(Carbon County)

They should really put an easy way to signup for their newsletter on that page so they can send you reminders when upcoming classes are. Think I'll be attending one in the near future, thanks for pointing this out.

Has the powder / primer shortage worked most of itself out? I frequent a few gunshops and while I don't look for this stuff, I also don't normally see it when looking around.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    smitty56 asks

Conventional Pistol, International Pistol, Smallbore rifle and high power rifle shooting competitions have all but disappeared, go to any IDPA or other action pistol match and you'll see few, if any 20 somethings participating.
    I don't know about that. I see lots of young people buying guns but they buy ARs and similar such rifles more than the traditional bolt guns. Also in IDPA traveling around to different clubs, some clubs I would say have at least half of the competitors under 40. Also at least one club I frequent the younger people might be more than the older guys, plus they all reload as well.

Reloading I think was dying out there for a while but a lot of younger people like me started to see the benefits during these ammo shortages and especially those that compete.

I think shooting and shooting sports are booming compared to 10 years ago and consider the amount of guns sold in the past 10 years. It's just that some of the market has changed and shifted in terms of what people are interested in. Even a lot of the media reflects that. Many of the old print media magazines are dominated by writers over 60 and a lot of the blog sites and youtube is dominated by people under 45.

(Delaware County)

Smile Re: Real hands on Class for Dillon 550?

I just got their weekly email and it seems they have added another class.

http://www.kingshooters.com/reloadin...s-p-49587.html