Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Thinking of a progressive

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    Ive written lengthy posts about this before and simply dont feel like writing it all again or finding one to copy so ill give you the TL;DR version

1. Always go progressive from the start ... it will save you $ in the long run and you can always load 1 piece of brass at a time to focus on what each station is doing.

2. Every brand has its fanboys -- Dillon more than others ... take it as you wish.

3. Every brand can/will have issues at one point -- both Red and Blue will take care of you with no questions asked. I do find it funny how many people praise Blue for their warranty when they call in for issues. I hear less of people needing to calling Red -- just sayin

4. Caliber changes on the red press are quick and easy -- and cheap. Something that doesnt necessarily happen with blue. Being able to buy the lower section of the powder measure is fantastic for even faster changes.

5. The red powder measure is more consistent with throws due to design vs the blue sliding bar -- or so ive heard

6. Red doesnt use those stupid ass buttons to retain cases in the shell plate ... nuff said

7. Red doesnt kick a live primer out of the system and onto your floor like blue does

8. If you want Blue -- go with a 650 and not the 550. The auto indexing alone is worth the upgrade and lessens the chance of a double charge

Im sure im forgetting something but those are some main items to consider. What I always recommend is that you find some local shooters who have the presses you are considering. Ask if you can load a few on each to get the feel. I did this and now have 2 LnL's on my bench ...
    Exactly, especially #1 the thing loading 300 rounds of 9mm on a single stage is going to teach you is... you should have bought the progressive , #3 , #8 With 5 stations and a powder through expander, you can run a separate taper crimp die and a powder check.

(Northampton County)

deadctr

Go to www.ultimatereloader.com . Gavin has videos on most of the major progressive presses and shows loading rifle as well as pistol. He also shows the use of case and bullet feeders. Actually you can waste a lot of time at his site. The vids aren't really reviews of the presses (pro vs. con stuff) but he does show how he sets them up and shows them in use. Lots of good info to get you started in your search for a progressive press.

Personally, I have a Dillon 550B that was given to me by my dad years ago. It started out life as a 450 and we had it converted. The only problem I have had with it was that one of the pivot points in the linkage started to seize up, but a bit of dis-assembly and lubrication perked it right up.

If I were to get another progressive it would have at least 5 stations. Gives you more options for goodies like case and bullet feeders, cop dies, etc. The Dillon 650, the Hornaday LnL and the RCBS Pro 2000 can all do rifle and pistol. The 1050 can only do small rifle like .223, 7.62x39, .30 Carbine, etc, and most pistol calibers. Not sure about the Lee Loadmaster.

Actually I have to get a good strong O-press for case forming and other stuff not normally done on the Dillon. So if you already have a single stage press, KEEP IT!

Stuart

Edit. Just found out that RCBS has 2 new progressives coming. The Pro Chucker 5 and 7. 5 and 7 station reloading machines! This is gonna get expensive fast!
    Last edited by flygrimm; April 9th, 2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: New info.

First off, Thank all of you for the responses. All good stuff.

I knew I would get a lot of red and blue fodder, and that's what I wanted. Now I can start to read between the lines, and ferret out what really counts.

I've been loading for a while on a single stage. That, in my mind, is the only way to start. You get the feel of the press; the compression during resizing, the felt pressure during seating, and the pull on the crimp. These are all things that I can't imagine could be felt on a progressive.

Again, the progressive would be only for pistol, 9MM mostly, but my son has a 40, so there you go. fly + ointment.

Definitely will keep the single stage for the long range varmint loads, where fractions really count. FYI, my goal with my varmint gun is a load for each powder on hand, 5 shots in one paper hole. I'll probably run out of years before this happens, and that's OK. I'll have fun getting there.

Thanks again folks.

(Montgomery County)

I have a Sq. Deal and a 550. If you are positive that you will never load anything but pistol, the Sq. deal will do the job very nicely. Reloading turns into a passion for some and it is likely that sometime in the future you will decide to load rifle also. The 550 would be the one I would choose if I could only have one press. If you desire, because it is manual indexing you can also use it as a single stage. It is very versatile and the changeover from different calibers takes only a few minutes if you get extra toolheads for the calibers you load. In all the years I have reloaded I have NEVER been disappointed by Dillon customer service. Also as it has been stated before the 550 would be easier to sell if you ever decide to quit reloading....Good luck with whatever you choose...
    I have so many toys because my wife wont let me have a girlfriend.......

(Allegheny County)

Another vote for the Dillon 650, had mine for quite a few years and never an issue. I hear they have great customer service but I have yet to need it.

(Monroe County)

This is a well reasoned comparison of progressive presses:

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck View Post
    This is a well reasoned comparison of progressive presses:

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
    Urban Redneck, Thanks for that link. That was a good read, well put together.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234