Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Range/club north of Pittsburgh? ACRC?

Hi all- I just moved to Pittsburgh from out of state and am interested in finding a good rifle range or sportsmen's club. The reviews seem to favor PSMC but I was wondering if there are any good ranges or clubs to the north of Pittsburgh? Anyone know if Allegheny County Rifle Club is opening up membership anytime soon? Thanks for the advice-

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Range/club north of Pittsburgh? ACRC?

Welcome to the 'Burgh. Unfortunately ACRC is not planning to open membership or even take more names on the already extensive waiting list. There probably won't be an opportunity to join for years. On the bright side, the club isn't really for everyone; I like it because it suits my needs and is close but there are plenty of valid complaints about it.

You could check into Millvale Sportsmens' Club in Wexford not far from the State Game Lands and Coraopolis District Sportsmens' Club right off 79 just past Neville Island. Both are easy drives from the north but I don't know if either are accepting members or what their facilities are like now.

(Beaver County)

Depending on where you are located,Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol is accepting new members,I believe.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the heads up. From my research it looks like there are only a limited number of clubs out there, and most seemed to be closed to new members unfortunately

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_phil View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. From my research it looks like there are only a limited number of clubs out there, and most seemed to be closed to new members unfortunately
    Being a relatively new North Hills resident, I came to a similar conclusion as you.

There's a BUNCH of clubs up here, actually, but they're usually all closed to new applicants (Northside, Millvale, etc.). BVRPC I think was open, but the drive was practically the same as to PMSC.

So I ended up joining PMSC. I know it's far, and I know it's not what you're looking for, but for the prices you pay, the hassles you avoid, it's worth the drive (yes, even dealing with the Squirrel Hill Tunnel/Tunnel from Hell).

There's a group shoot in 2 weeks. It's a good time to meet people, eat pork based products (and possibly other stuff), shoot guns, check out PMSC, and find a sponsor (though if you didn't know, most people at a meeting will sign yours within a minute of meeting you).

Welcome to Pittsburgh.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_phil View Post
    Hi all- I just moved to Pittsburgh from out of state and am interested in finding a good rifle range or sportsmen's club. The reviews seem to favor PSMC but I was wondering if there are any good ranges or clubs to the north of Pittsburgh?
    Rosedale in the Cheswick area. It's modest, but does the job.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Being a relatively new North Hills resident, I came to a similar conclusion as you.

There's a BUNCH of clubs up here, actually, but they're usually all closed to new applicants (Northside, Millvale, etc.). BVRPC I think was open, but the drive was practically the same as to PMSC.

So I ended up joining PMSC. I know it's far, and I know it's not what you're looking for, but for the prices you pay, the hassles you avoid, it's worth the drive (yes, even dealing with the Squirrel Hill Tunnel/Tunnel from Hell).

There's a group shoot in 2 weeks. It's a good time to meet people, eat pork based products (and possibly other stuff), shoot guns, check out PMSC, and find a sponsor (though if you didn't know, most people at a meeting will sign yours within a minute of meeting you).

Welcome to Pittsburgh.
    I live in Ross and make the trip to PMSC, well worth it.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion