Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default 1911 work near Downingtown?

I just found a few problems with my TRP 1911 (hammer won't stay back and the safety is loose) and wanted to get it fixed.

Can anyone recommend a good smith near Downingtown, PA?

Default Re: 1911 work near Downingtown?

1911"s are what I do, and I am not far from Downingtown. I would be happy to take care of that for you.

You can get more info on my 1911 work at:

www.sheafferprecisiongunworks.com

Les

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    I just found a few problems with my TRP 1911 (hammer won't stay back and the safety is loose) and wanted to get it fixed.

Can anyone recommend a good smith near Downingtown, PA?
    Call Springfield CS directly and they will get you taken care of free of charge most likely.

As Don said, that is an option. You will need to ship and wont have direct contact with the person doing the work, but assuming no mods have been made to the pistol they may do it free of charge.

If you want someone local let me know.

Best of luck.

SPG

(Chester County)

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm not in a big hurry to get it fixed since it's not my primary carry gun or anything. I just moved to Downingtown and don't know who the good shops & smiths are out there yet.

Les, I think we differ on what's local and not too far. I looked up Kempton and it's about 65 miles away; That's a bit far for me, but I still appreciate the response.

RealDonJohnson, that's not a bad idea. Even if it costs a little, having the manufacturer fix it back up could be a good way to go. I'll look into that as an option.

(Northampton County)

Go see Sean at CDI in Chalfont hes close and and take care of you.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

No problem Tom. I have guys who come from Jersey, Delaware and Philadelphia and I grew up out west, so I sometimes have to keep in mind not everydody wants that sort of drive.

Brian is correct that Sean is a good guy who knows what he is doing that is a good choice and is closer.

Hammer follow down is usually an easy fix so dont worry to much about it.

Have a good one.

Les

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by SheafferPrecisionGunworks View Post
    As Don said, that is an option. You will need to ship and wont have direct contact with the person doing the work, but assuming no mods have been made to the pistol they may do it free of charge.

If you want someone local let me know.

Best of luck.

SPG
    Sounds like a problem that is the result of a manufacturing or assembly flaw. I am sure they will take responsibility for this and offer repair on their dime.
    You may not have direct access to the gunsmith performing the work, but you will be in touch with a CS representative at your beck and call. The CS at well establish companies such as Springfield and the like is second to none. Their turn around time for minor issues is usually pretty reasonable as well.

No offense to SPG, but if I had the option of sending it off and having it fixed free of charge I would opt for that as opposed to actually paying for the labor myself.

Of course bitching is key in a situation like this. If you are generally perturbed by the issue at hand and communicate it to the company like Springer, they will do anything in their power to rectify the situation.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by TheRealDonJohnson; April 9th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.
    neckbeard extrordinaire

(Chester County)

Bob's Gunsmithing
    120 Holly dr, Downingtown
    610-873-2062

Found another:

Edward Cradduck
    4317 W. Lincoln Hwy. D-town
    610-873-6113
    Last edited by ideaman; April 9th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.

No offense taken Don. With that said, unless the guns is brand new you are incorrect about the reason he has follow down and it being a manufacturing or assembly flaw.

I wont go into a long detailed discussion about things that cause follow down but in my experience 95% of the time its a issue with function of the relationship of the sear, sear spring and hammer or all 3. And it is usually caused by wear, letting the slide slam into battery on an empty gun repeatedly and riding the hammer down with your thumb repeatedly among a few other things like parts defects etc. I wont go into the checks an fixes because I dont want guys fiddiling with these things and making things worse or more dangerous. If the gun worked fine when you got it and now it dosent its unlikely is a springfield assembly flaw. (Although a sear spring wear and failure is posslible as all the manufacturers us cheap springs that may cost just cents, have a gunsmith replace all your springs with Wolff springs, you wont be sorry. I only charge $25.00 for this plus the springs, its the cheapest best insurance you can buy for your 1911.)

I will go ahead and get this out there, and many may flame me because they are trained otherwise, but here it is anyway: With a 1911, it will eventually damage the gun if you let the slide slam into battery on an empty chamber, so just dont, instead always ride the slide down on an empty gun. Second the hammer is not meant to be ridden down , dry fire the gun (ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER) this prevents sear binding and un natural wear patterns. I cant stress this enough, I have to explain this a hundred times at shows when guys are trying my 1911's triggers. Some will refuse to dry fire the gun due to training scars, at this point I ask them to give it to me and I dryfire it and place it back on the table. (A good sear can cost as much as $50) I have a few pistols that have been dryfired with and without snap caps over 1000 times. When I take them apart the sear shows normal wear. (I have a tool for sear tuning that has a 20X optic and scale, so I know what I am saying here)

Anyway, I dont have time for a longer discussion, but you 1911 guys please note what I have said re slide dropping and hammer manipulation. I know you may have heard the opposite but having been inside hundreds of 1911's I can tell you this is fact.

Thats it for today. OP, let us know how it works out and what they say was the problem. (request they do)

Have, a good one gentlemen, got work to do.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    Sounds like a problem that is the result of a manufacturing or assembly flaw. I am sure they will take responsibility for this and offer repair on their dime.
    You may not have direct access to the gunsmith performing the work, but you will be in touch with a CS representative at your beck and call. The CS at well establish companies such as Springfield and the like is second to none. Their turn around time for minor issues is usually pretty reasonable as well.

No offense to SPG, but if I had the option of sending it off and having it fixed free of charge I would opt for that as opposed to actually paying for the labor myself.

Of course bitching is key in a situation like this. If you are generally perturbed by the issue at hand and communicate it to the company like Springer, they will do anything in their power to rectify the situation.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by SheafferPrecisionGunworks; April 10th, 2015 at 07:20 AM.