Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 vs .357 sig

(Berks County)

Default .40 vs .357 sig

Ok, I've watched some videos & looked up info online. I'm thinking about getting a Glock again & have been kicking around the idea of getting a 40 since I've never had one before. I like the theory of the 357 sig too, but haven't fired one either. I was thinking I could get a 23 or 32 with an extra barrel for the other caliber. Anyone have a set up like this or any pros / cons of each caliber?

I do reload, so ammo prices aren't really a deal-breaker for me. I do understand that the 357 is more of a hassle due to case prep.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .40 vs .357 sig

I bought a 23 with plans to add the .357 Sig barrel. .40 mags are the same since the .357 Sig is a necked-down .40. Extractor and ejector are the same also. It's a great duality.

But, sorry, I elected the 9mm barrel instead, which is my range caliber, so cannot offer any .357 Sig experience.

I bought model 19 mags but then discovered the .40 mags feed 9mm just fine.

23 is a great choice.

(Lehigh County)

I have the G32 and I love the 357 Sig. I also have a .40 SW barrell for it. I've shot both calibers out of it and I prefer the 357.

I reload and there IS more case prep for the bottle necked 357. I mostly shoot factory ammo in 357 Sig and reloads with the .40 barrell.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I have 3 .357sig Glocks and .40 barrels for them.(have the OE Glock .40 barrels as a "just in case" more than anything) All you really need to do is swap the barrels to go back and forth. The 23 will be easier to find locally than a 32. I have found that .357sig fits in magazines to full capacity much easier than .40.

There is no extra case prep with .357sig and that means no trimming cases. It loads like a regular straight pistol case with basically 2 exceptions. One being the profile of the bullet is important (not all 9mm bullets are suitable) and if you over crimp the round you can crush the shoulder. I have not had any problems reloading .357sig and it is actually cheaper to reload than .40.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I have 3 .357sig Glocks and .40 barrels for them.(have the OE Glock .40 barrels as a "just in case" more than anything) All you really need to do is swap the barrels to go back and forth. The 23 will be easier to find locally than a 32. I have found that .357sig fits in magazines to full capacity much easier than .40.

There is no extra case prep with .357sig and that means no trimming cases. It loads like a regular straight pistol case with basically 2 exceptions. One being the profile of the bullet is important (not all 9mm bullets are suitable) and if you over crimp the round you can crush the shoulder. I have not had any problems reloading .357sig and it is actually cheaper to reload than .40.
    I loaded one batch of 357 Sig last year and had to trim about half of the cases. Maybe it was the cheap brass I was re-loading or the fact it had been reloaded more than once.... (I had to shoot range ammo when I went to an Indoor range in Tennesse. They only allowed the ammo "they" reloaded to be used.... I took my brass with me)
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I loaded one batch of 357 Sig last year and had to trim about half of the cases. Maybe it was the cheap brass I was re-loading or the fact it had been reloaded more than once.... (I had to shoot range ammo when I went to an Indoor range in Tennesse. They only allowed the ammo "they" reloaded to be used.... I took my brass with me)
    What did it measure after sizing? There is a SAAMI specified range for brass length. I have .357sig brass with at least 6 firings on it and I never trimmed it and am still using it. The little neck just isn't big enough to have much change on brass OAL.

(Berks County)

That's interesting that you're getting by without trimming. If I could pop them on the Dillon after tumbling like a straight walled pistol case, that would be awesome.

I was thinking to use the 40 for most range sessions & carry the 357 - as I'm sure many people who have this setup do (or plan to do).

I'll have to see what the barrels costs to see if the 40s are cheaper than the 357 or something.

From what I am seeing costs between a .40 barrel and a .357sig barrel are none to very small. If you want to carry the round I would recommend an OE glock barrel, the .357sig barrels are supported very well and not as short throated as some aftermarket barrels.

Here is the SAAMI .357sig drawing.

http://saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dra.../357%20Sig.pdf

I have a setup like this - Glock 23 (40 S&W) with LoneWolf 357 Sig and 9mm barrels.

Typically, I practice with 40 S&W or 9mm and use the 357 Sig as my EDC. My preference for SD ammo is from Underwood because their stuff is blistering hot.

I've shot thick steel plates with all 3 calibers. The 357 Sig makes a significantly deeper dent in the steel. It's a LOT louder. The most interesting thing is that the felt recoil between 40 & 357 is about the same - but the 357 Sig pushes backward, much like a 45 ACP, while the 40 recoils upward.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    What did it measure after sizing? There is a SAAMI specified range for brass length. I have .357sig brass with at least 6 firings on it and I never trimmed it and am still using it. The little neck just isn't big enough to have much change on brass OAL.
    I'll have to check my notebook when I get home.... It didn't require much trimming but I did have to trim....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast