Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom LCP

Default Custom LCP

Does anyone have experience with Ruger's Custom LCP? I just sold my Taurus TCP and looking for something a bit higher in quality (TCP worked fine, btw).

The Custom has a different trigger, better sights and a steel guide rod as upgrades over the standard model. Not sure why they didn't add slide lock after last round.

Also looking at Kahr ct/cw 380. Ruled out the Bodyguard; too many negative reviews and the manual safety is just silly.

Gotta be easy to pocket carry.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Custom LCP

No experience with the Custom; I have a std LCPw/Laser.

Great pocket pistol, has been 100% reliable through ~700 rounds. It is not a range toy; the sights suck and its not fun to shoot. However, neither is a problem to me for the intended range and use.

Improving the sights and trigger (if a real improvement) make a lot of sense, especially since the dimensional change is tiny and the weight remains the same. The steel guide rod may improve longer term wear and tear, and together with the new sights might make a small improvement to target accuracy. OTOH, neither change is likely to make this pistol a precision instrument at the range.

I'd put one in my pocket at the LGS to be sure about the dimension changes and whether the new sights interfere with pocket draw. But I can't really see how either would hurt this pocket pistol. If I planned to carry any other way, I'd look elsewhere. Of course, YMMV.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; April 5th, 2015 at 05:31 PM.

(Chester County)

Look up galloway precision. You can buy the steel guide rods, stronger springs, triggers, internal springs to make the custom gun yourself. I completely re did an lc9 about a year ago. Hell of a difference. Total cost in upgrades was about $140 for ss guide rod, higher power recoil springs, new connector, RTK adjustabe trigger, and all new tweaked internal springs.

If you just want to throw in a ss guide rod and spring its like 20 or 30 bucks. If the price of the custom lcp is over like $100 to $150 msrp over stock from ruger and your good at doing stuff to your guns yourself galloway is a better option.

Edit

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/

Looks like its a bit cheaper (albeit you get a little less stuff) compared to redoing the lc9. You could redo pretty much everything to the lcp for about $95 plus shipping.
    Last edited by ckellyme3; April 5th, 2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added link

In 2013 Ruger upgraded all current production LCP pistols they changed the trigger effectivly doing what Galloways kit does and started adding useable sights. Both upgrades are a vast improvement over the Original models. I haven't seen the new "Custome" model so I cannot say how the trigger or sights compare the steel guide rod does nothing different then the polly model does other then add some weight. Don't know what they are charging but if it's over $350.00 I would pass and get the standard or the Cw380. The Ruger isn't much different then the TCP as far as build quality goes and its a bit snappier with recoil too. A step up from it would really be the Cw380 and a jump would be the PM380 or the P238.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 5th, 2015 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    In 2013 Ruger upgraded all current production LCP pistols they changed the trigger effectivly doing what Galloways kit does and started adding useable sights. Both upgrades are a vast improvement over the Original models. I haven't seen the new "Custome" model so I cannot say how the trigger or sights compare the steel guide rod does nothing different then the polly model does other then add some weight. Don't know what they are charging but if it's over $350.00 I would pass and get the standard or the Cw380. The Ruger isn't much different then the TCP as far as build quality goes and its a bit snappier with recoil too. A step up from it would really be the Cw380 and a jump would be the PM380 or the P238.
    The Custom is quite a bit higher in price compared to the standard model. I saw it for $490, but that's close to list and I think I can find it for just over $400. If not, I agree the cw380 is looking better and better.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by larryinpa View Post
    The Custom is quite a bit higher in price compared to the standard model. I saw it for $490, but that's close to list and I think I can find it for just over $400. If not, I agree the cw380 is looking better and better.
    I can highly recommend the Kahr CW380.

I own both a standard LCP, and a CW380.
    The CW380 is so much better in design, build quality, and shootability then the LCP it is just in a different league. And the CW380 can be found for less then $300.
    Last edited by Beardog; April 5th, 2015 at 08:29 PM.

I am in the same boat. I want to like the TCP but I can't bring myself to buy a Taurus. It also really bothers me that the OEM 8 round extended mags went extinct along with the +1 extensions. The LCP is ok, but you pay more for less than you get in a TCP. I am not a Kahr fan in the least, but the CW380 is nice for what it is. I am actually considering the Pico, admittedly the Kahr has a much nicer trigger but the Beretta is really slim. If you are torn between the LCP Custom & the CW380, I would get the Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by itchinesu View Post
    I am in the same boat. I want to like the TCP but I can't bring myself to buy a Taurus. It also really bothers me that the OEM 8 round extended mags went extinct along with the +1 extensions. The LCP is ok, but you pay more for less than you get in a TCP. I am not a Kahr fan in the least, but the CW380 is nice for what it is. I am actually considering the Pico, admittedly the Kahr has a much nicer trigger but the Beretta is really slim. If you are torn between the LCP Custom & the CW380, I would get the Kahr.
    Done! Picked up the Kahr today. Nice looking pistol. it's sitting cleaned and with the slide locked back until I can get to the range this week.

grats! get yourself a 7 round mag as a back up & you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by larryinpa View Post
    Done! Picked up the Kahr today. Nice looking pistol. it's sitting cleaned and with the slide locked back until I can get to the range this week.
    I think you made a good choice just make sure you run it through it's factory 200 round break in and you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast