Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default "Shooters’ places of assembly or target practice"

I recently read on this NRA website (https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat.../pennsylvania/) that it is legal in PA to carry a handgun in a car from the owner's home to "shooters’ places of assembly or target practice" without a concealed carry permit.

I live in Philadelphia, and that's where my shooting range is (Philadelphia Training Academy, for those interested). I bike everywhere in the city, and I was wondering the legality of biking with a hand gun to a range.

Additionally, do I need to go directly to/from home and the range? What if I wanted to stop and get a soda or pick up dinner before I make it home?

I'm also wondering about this "places of assembly" language, as some friends just bought 13 acres in Norristown, PA and I have talked about going with a few people to shoot long guns, and I'm wondering if this could legally be a place of assembly if someone wanted to bring a handgun.

Thanks!

(Erie County)

Default Re: "Shooters’ places of assembly or target practice"

Quote Originally Posted by mtwtrf View Post
    I recently read on this NRA website (https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat.../pennsylvania/) that it is legal in PA to carry a handgun in a car from the owner's home to "shooters’ places of assembly or target practice" without a concealed carry permit.

I live in Philadelphia, and that's where my shooting range is (Philadelphia Training Academy, for those interested). I bike everywhere in the city, and I was wondering the legality of biking with a hand gun to a range.

Additionally, do I need to go directly to/from home and the range? What if I wanted to stop and get a soda or pick up dinner before I make it home?

I'm also wondering about this "places of assembly" language, as some friends just bought 13 acres in Norristown, PA and I have talked about going with a few people to shoot long guns, and I'm wondering if this could legally be a place of assembly if someone wanted to bring a handgun.

Thanks!
    I don't know about the biking part, because my understanding is that the firearm was to be unloaded, and stored in a sealed compartment, e.g. the trunk.

As far as stopping...... Yes, according to the letter of the law, you may only go directly to and from the range. I have heard of someone charged in Erie County because he stopped at a relative's house for dinner, his car got rear ended, and guess what? He called the police, who saw his weapons.

Main reason I got my LTCF.

IANAL..................

(Luzerne County)

Yes, you can transport your "unloaded" firearm to and from the range on a bike. That would be no different that using a normal motor vehicle.

Nothing has to be in a "sealed compartment" (trunk, etc).

As for stopping, the law says going to or from said places. It does not say you can stop for a quart of milk, loaf of bread, lottery tickets, etc. If you need to stop for a necessity such as almost running out of gas, needing to use a restroom or something similar, you can argue the need for doing that but stand to loose.

What are you going to do with the firearm? You can't leave it on your bike. You can't carry it with you, because you would need a LTCF then.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mtwtrf View Post

Additionally, do I need to go directly to/from home and the range? yes What if I wanted to stop and get a soda or pick up dinner before I make it home? you risk being charged if caught

Thanks!
    HB 718 – Right to Transport Firearms Rep Krieger 2015-2016 legislative effort
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ve-effort.html

/\ no stops w/o LTCF permit Go read this thread /\

Bike ( Peddle or motorized? ) w/o a LTCF in "gun owner friendly" Philly no less, keep a lawyer on retainer and in your speed dial.

IF you want to really solve the problem with paying a coat tax on a right ...here is the solution for ALL, especially for Philly gun owners with the extra BS requirements and hoops to jump through to get a LTCF

\/ \/ ....Go read this thread \/ \/

HB 230 Constitutional Carry – Rep Saccone 2015-2016 legislative effort
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ve-effort.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Lackawanna County)

Why not get your license to carry and not worry about it

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Additionally, do I need to go directly to/from home and the range? yes What if I wanted to stop and get a soda or pick up dinner before I make it home? you risk being charged if caught
    I keep seeing this over an over yet, to my knowledge, nobody has ever posted a case or any court opinion backing it. Does anyone know of any case law or court decision supporting this?

(Bucks County)

Sounds contrived from fear. Seems reasonable that needing gasoline to make it home is not a deviation from direct. Same for a convenience store that offers a place to piss.

Problem is, if for some weird reason a gun is discovered in car parked outside a convenience store, it seems reasonable for an officer to consider the worst and the range story will probably be investigated while everyone is in police headquarters.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I keep seeing this over an over yet, to my knowledge, nobody has ever posted a case or any court opinion backing it. Does anyone know of any case law or court decision supporting this?
    I think the absence of any case law and the fact that the law does not make mention makes it a grey area at best.

To the OP, I would apply for your LTCF this will get rid of any transportation problems. You could carry your handgun OC loaded to the range with it. Although in philly prepared to be harassed for it or worse. Also philly still likes to make it harder to get a LTCF I believe they have been forced to drop a numer of their bad practices but it still happens. Dot your I's cross your T's and apply.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I think the absence of any case law and the fact that the law does not make mention makes it a grey area at best.

To the OP, I would apply for your LTCF this will get rid of any transportation problems. You could carry your handgun OC loaded to the range with it. Although in philly prepared to be harassed for it or worse. Also philly still likes to make it harder to get a LTCF I believe they have been forced to drop a numer of their bad practices but it still happens. Dot your I's cross your T's and apply.
    I'll buy that it may be a gray area but it is relayed as fact on this board over and over again yet I've never seen one single fact to justify it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    http://forum.pafoa.org/1871011-post-12.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast