Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Sig 1911 RCS Failure-To-Feed

I have a Sig 1911 RCS that occasionally fails to feed (about one in fifty rounds). Really more like falure to go into full battery as the round partially chambers (about 75% of the round is in the chamber). A gentle nudge on the slide will get it to fully close. The gun has 400 to 500 rounds thru it so it should be 'broke in' and has been cleaned and lubricated. The chamber does not appear to be rough.

What could be causing this?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Sig 1911 RCS Failure-To-Feed

How's the feed ramp look? And by extension, the jump into the barrel after?

Have you noticed it happens with different mags?

Have you tried different ammo?
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Allegheny County)

I would try upping the poundage slightly on the recoil spring and then throw another 500 rounds. *More knowledgeable smithy types will come soon*

Factory loads of reloads?

(Berks County)

What kind of ammo? What magazines?

Factory ammo and if yes, what brand? Hand/reloads?

10 times out of 10, make sure it is or isn't the ammo, first. If you were shooting WWB new factory ammo, I'd say to clean the chamber, next, and not just the carbon...give it a good polish.

If it isn't going into battery, but the cartridge made it in 75% of the way, and it happens 1:50, you can rule out the feed ramp and magazine. If they were the problem, you'd be getting more failures. Also, once a case gets in the chamber, the recoil spring should pull it into battery with very little momentum.

You either have some brass that are a little swollen or your chamber needs a good polish/cleaning. If not that, then your recoil spring is tanking.
    Last edited by harold63; April 1st, 2015 at 09:23 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Erie County)

Which round, 1st, 4th, last, does the FTF occur?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

I had FTF issues with my sig1911 but only when the ammo was below a certian OAL. Might be your issue as well if youre using bulk ammo.

I had bought some ammo that was short. Still within spec, but short that caused me a bit of grief. Switched back to my previous ammo, no issues.

Also , if youre using the sig mags, theyve been know to be problematic. A 1:50 doesnt sound like a mag issue, unless you can track it to the same mag everytime. Number you mags to help you keep track.
    Last edited by BenFoo; April 1st, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks to all that responded. Here are the answers to the questions:

• Feed ramp looks OK (but I am not a 1911 expert).

• Been using mostly Wilson mags (along w/ some Sig mags). Have not been paying attention to what mag was being used.

• Happens anywhere from 2nd shot to last shot in the mag.

• Ammo that this has happened on has always been Winchester white box 230 gr. FMJ. Have also put 50 rounds of Federal 230 gr. HST w/ no failure-to-feed.

• I have thought about the recoil spring, but this is a fairly new gun (400 rounds). I guess it could be a bad spring. Should I contact Sig or what kind of replacement spring should I get?

• How do I go about polishing the chamber & feed ramp? Do not want to remove significant metal, just polish what is there.

• I have been using Break Free. What oil should I be using? Should I use grease on the rails/slide? Do Sig 1911’s run better wet or dry?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Thanks to all that responded. Here are the answers to the questions:

• Feed ramp looks OK (but I am not a 1911 expert).

• Been using mostly Wilson mags (along w/ some Sig mags). Have not been paying attention to what mag was being used.

• Happens anywhere from 2nd shot to last shot in the mag.

• Ammo that this has happened on has always been Winchester white box 230 gr. FMJ. Have also put 50 rounds of Federal 230 gr. HST w/ no failure-to-feed.

• I have thought about the recoil spring, but this is a fairly new gun (400 rounds). I guess it could be a bad spring. Should I contact Sig or what kind of replacement spring should I get?

• How do I go about polishing the chamber & feed ramp? Do not want to remove significant metal, just polish what is there.

• I have been using Break Free. What oil should I be using? Should I use grease on the rails/slide? Do Sig 1911’s run better wet or dry?

Thanks!
    I have a C3 that doesn't like Wilson mags, but runs flawlessly on the mags that Sig supplied. You could take a Sharpie & number your mags. That way you can determine if the malfs happen with one mag or with all of them.

If the gun has only 400 rounds through it, the recoil spring shouldn't be the problem, unless your loads are way underpowered.

Break Free should be OK on the rotating parts, but I'd use a light coat of grease on the rails, barrel hood, barrel & bushing. I use TW25B, but any good grease will work. I smear a dab of grease on a pipe cleaner, (You can get a huge pack of them at WalMart's craft dept, or any craft store for a couple bucks), then run it down the rail grooves. That way you know it's going where it needs to be.

I'd hold off polishing the feed ramp until all the easy fixes fail, then I'd call Sig. From what I hear, their CS is good.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast