Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Paranoid? Allegheny area .. have been told NOT to open carry...

Quote Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
    You do realize you cant drive anywhere with that loaded pistol right? You will have to be transport on foot to open carry. As soon as you step foot in the car with a loaded pistol, you need a LTCF or equiv recip state to have it loaded in the car.

You know this, right?
    Worth repeating.

Very important that you understand that you can't simply "unload" to be legal while in the car and then load up and carry once you are out of the car. Doesn't work that way.

There are a very few specific places you may transport an unloaded firearm in a vehicle.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

You do realize you cant drive anywhere with that loaded pistol right? You will have to be transport on foot to open carry. As soon as you step foot in the car with a loaded pistol, you need a LTCF or equiv recip state to have it loaded in the car.

You know this, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Worth repeating.

Very important that you understand that you can't simply "unload" to be legal while in the car and then load up and carry once you are out of the car. Doesn't work that way.

There are a very few specific places you may transport an unloaded firearm in a vehicle.
    Pssst...

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Being the respectful person I am, I contacted my Father-In-Law about my carrying a firearm while we visit this Easter, and about the fact I will be open carrying, due to the action of Herr Kane (I have a UT permission slip.)

So... is this friend of yours on PAFOA or something?

(Allegheny County)

Cool. I forgot he mentioned that AND I have no idea what is/isn't accepted these days in regards to the out of state licenses.

Carry on then I guess.

empty: understandable. (un)luckily I'm from a locale that LOVES to litigate and regulate, so I'm good at reading the details. sadly, from conversing with some of my inlaws, I appear to be BETTER versed in the laws for PA than they are!

(Allegheny County)

I'll also note that I attended a citizens police academy 2 years ago that was hosted by both of the municipalities mentioned in the OP and during one of the classes an attendee brought up the topic of "guns" and specifically "open carry".
    The "academy" was being run by two high ranking officers - one from each department and they both sort of looked at each other then said "What about it? It's legal."

So yeah, they know it's legal.
    That's not to say that every single officer you could potentially cross paths with fully understands, or accepts it, but overall, it was nice to hear it come right from them and more or less "voluntarily" too.

I've met quite a few officers over the years here and all but one has been very much "pro-citizen carry." I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have started to discuss crime trends (we used to attend crime watch meetings) and hear an officer outright say "Get a gun. Learn how to use it." (Even with them not knowing my own personal stance on the subject)

I've lived in this area for 20+ years now and I've never seen anyone carrying openly - aside from the little bit that I did myself.

Enjoy your time here and have fun at the club. I'm a member there as well - great facility.

You know this, right?
    He has a UT license. He can transport by vehicle.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Pssst...

So... is this friend of yours on PAFOA or something?
    Ehh... I doubt it. He's not too bright... certainly not the level/quality of person I see on this forum on a regular basis.

(Lycoming County)

You know this, right?
    He's covered in the car with his UT permit since he is a NJ resident.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Caveat: some of the following is not first hand. I will endeavor to speak with the relevant LEO's via phone as soon as possible to obtain first hand clarity.

Being the respectful person I am, I contacted my Father-In-Law about my carrying a firearm while we visit this Easter, and about the fact I will be open carrying, due to the action of Herr Kane (I have a UT permission slip.) He apparently spoke to one of his brothers, who spoke to various LEOs (town/county and state) and they are adamant that I NOT OPEN CARRY while in the Penn Hills/Monroeville area; to the effect of I am almost guaranteed to be spread prone and arrested if I do so. Seems that because LEA's are hyped up due to recent activities of criminals I am being told I will be denied my 2A rights.
    I have requested he find out from his brother EXACTLY who he spoke to, so I may do so myself and find out if I'm (un)officially being told my rights are to be suppressed if I choose to exercise them.

So my question for the collective in the area... Bullshit? or will I be shot on sight? Recommendations for a lawyer in the area specializing in 2A cases that I can at least have their number handy? If anyone would like to create an impromptu Open Carry Walk this Friday or Saturday let me know and I'll be certain to join in.

edit: also, this is not a 4/1 joke thread on my part, and I'm assuming it's not a prank being pulled by my father-in-law and uncle-in-law.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12