Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Contemplating Handling NFA items

Well, as of 28 April, the ATF cashed my check for the SOT so it looks like I will be able to handle NFA stuff come 1 July. I'm starting out with a couple of suppressors for demos for those that want to see how they work and if they want to buy one from me, I'll order it and then when it arrives I'll do my part of the paperwork and then it will be up to the buyer to finish it out.

I try to be as upfront as possible. Since I am not a large company with deep pockets, any NFA item that is ordered through me will have to have a non refundable deposit paid before I order it. I have not determined what that deposit will be yet as I need to get some more info about certain scenerios from my distributor. Once I determine what it is I will publish it.

Any questions, just let me know.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

So how about SBR and engraving? ANy plan for them?
    I could really use NFA approved engraving on my lower
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Well, as of 28 April, the ATF cashed my check for the SOT so it looks like I will be able to handle NFA stuff come 1 July. I'm starting out with a couple of suppressors for demos for those that want to see how they work and if they want to buy one from me, I'll order it and then when it arrives I'll do my part of the paperwork and then it will be up to the buyer to finish it out.

I try to be as upfront as possible. Since I am not a large company with deep pockets, any NFA item that is ordered through me will have to have a non refundable deposit paid before I order it. I have not determined what that deposit will be yet as I need to get some more info about certain scenerios from my distributor. Once I determine what it is I will publish it.

Congrats! Join this private FFL forum if you aren't already a member.

https://www.fflsonly.com/phpBB

Wealth of information on there for NFA items.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    So how about SBR and engraving? ANy plan for them?
    I could really use NFA approved engraving on my lower
    Yasu, if you have the chance, stop by the garage sale on June 5 or 6 and we can talk about it, or stop by the shop sometime (I have new hours now that I am retired). In many cases, depending on what is already on the receiver, you may not need it engraved. I've been reading the NFA rules pretty thoroughly as of late and I think many people get confused by all the "info" that is floating around the internet.

My shop hours are Tues-Fri 11am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm and evenings by appointment. You can always call also 814-867-0867

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Congrats! Join this private FFL forum if you aren't already a member.

https://www.fflsonly.com/phpBB

Wealth of information on there for NFA items.
    Tredd,
    Already on there (RonsGunRepairLLC). Benn following your post about the MG shoot and once I get the ok to pick up my SBR from ACE's I'll contact you about the 5 MG shoot certificate I won at the FOAC gun bash.

(Centre County)

Well, I am now legal to handle the transfers of SBR's, SBS's MG's and Suppressors. I have studied and talked to a lot of other FFL's and my fee schedule will be $50 to do the transfer of a Class III item that is bought from another FFL. If you purchase a Class III item from me, no transfer fee is required. I have placed an order through the distributor that I will be using and will be getting some SilencerCo suppressors and adapters to demo and sell. The wait is with the ATF to approve the transfer from SilencerCo to me but I hope to have them in early in August. I will be setting up several guns to use as demos so once they arrive, potential customers can stop by the shop to see them in action.

Congratulations on the expansion of your business. What a shame/scam that you/we need to jump through so many hoops to possess such items. But if it must be (for now anyway) I'm pleased to see one of our own taking the leap.

And I have a question that comes from a couple of posts. What is the "engraving" deal? Do some NFA items requite some sort of unique identifier that a SN doesn't cover?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Centre County)

Yes they do. If you are going to build your own SBR or SBS or suppressor (on a Form 1) your name (or the name of your trust) and city and state need to be engraved on the receiver to identify the "manufacturer" of the SBR, etc. You can, however, if you choose to do so, use the serial number that the maker of the receiver has already engraved on it. The engraving has to meet certain specifications as outlined by the ATF to be legal. At this point in time, I do not believe that laser engraving goes deep enough into the metal to be legal, but new lasers are coming out that I think will meet the ATF's regs.

If you purchase a SBR, etc. that is already built, the transfer form is a Form 4. Both the Form 1 and the Form 4 have to have the $200 tax stamp affixed before the firearm is legally yours.

I just today picked up a SIG 516 SBR that I won at the last FOAC bash. The approval was astonishingly fast at 2 1/2 months. They received my application on 4/11/15, cashed the check on 4/21/15 and approved it on 7/7/15. Ace Sporting Goods received the Form 4 with the stamp on 7/16/15. I was at an Ohio Gun Collectors Association show this weekend so I picked it up on my way home. Now I'm just waiting for my first shipment of suppressors. Hopefully I'll have them by mid-late August, then I can start demonstrating them at the shop.

(Washington County)

Tredd,
    Already on there (RonsGunRepairLLC). Benn following your post about the MG shoot and once I get the ok to pick up my SBR from ACE's I'll contact you about the 5 MG shoot certificate I won at the FOAC gun bash.
    See you on the 1st... but I warn you, the toys we have will hurt your bank account once you realize you can own all of these with your SOT. Make sure to say hello so i can give you a tour of our collection.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Default Re: Can Now Handle NFA items

I'm thinking of adding the SOT 3 to my license that would give me the authority to handle NFA firearms (SBR's, SBS's, Suppressors, machine guns). Just not sure yet due to the cost ($500 per year) versus the possible market in this area (will I make enough to cover the yearly tax).

Your thoughts Valley of the Susquehanna Area (or anyone else that may use my services)?
    What are ya???? Some kind of gun nut????

Congrats on your new business venture, Ron!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12