Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 45-70 hunting set up

Recieved a 1895 marlin in a trade. Going to set it up for hunting, and that's where the question lies.

I want to set it up so I can get a fast sight picture. So I am debating between either a straight red dot or a 1-6x scope.
    Does anyone have experience using either of these style optics for hunting? Ones that should survive the recoil of the rifle?

Also good resources for reading up on reloading infor for the caliber?

Thanks

(Beaver County)

Default Re: 45-70 hunting set up

I have a cheap 1-4x on mine and it has held up great. I can get you a model tomorrow. I had Emptymag buy one for his AR also. I think they were 60 bucks.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    Recieved a 1895 marlin in a trade. Going to set it up for hunting, and that's where the question lies.

I want to set it up so I can get a fast sight picture. So I am debating between either a straight red dot or a 1-6x scope.
    Does anyone have experience using either of these style optics for hunting? Ones that should survive the recoil of the rifle?

Also good resources for reading up on reloading infor for the caliber?

Thanks
    I put a Burris 2.5x pistol scope on mine. It looks very similar to this one. Quick to use and provides a bit of magnification for longer shots.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Clarion County)

Have a Handi in 45-70 with a low end 1.5-4 burris on it for quite awhile with no problems.
    I'm a fan of peep sights on my hunting levers. Don't know if you considered them or not.
    Numerous threads in the reloading section discussing the 45-70 like this: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=226337
    Here's a couple outside sites I had bookmarked:
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/articl...-applications/
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/45-70Govt.htm
    https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...overnment.html
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/the-45-70-govt.46/
    Last edited by cephas; December 13th, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Although the guide gun is for close in shots I still put a 3-9 Simmons on mine. It doesn't feel the same without a big scope.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I have a marlin 1895 with a lever rail and a Trijicon MRO mounted on it. I used it to kill a buck in Ohio this year. I have been hunting deer with a red dot for a few years now, and I enjoy it. That being said, I'm looking to switch over to a low power variable, like a vortex strike eagle, moving forward.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I put a Burris 2.5x pistol scope on mine. It looks very similar to this one. Quick to use and provides a bit of magnification for longer shots.

Cool setup.. is that what they call a scout scope?

I have a 1894 .357 and am looking to get a skinner peep sight for it.

(Berks County)

Been using a guide gun with a Leupold 1-4 VX2 and a Ruger #1 also in 45-70 with a VX3 1.5 -5 on it for close to 20 years . I like and would recommend both . I originally had a 1 3/4-5 Bushnell on the Ruger , it made it about 5 years before giving up the ghost . Went with the Leupold and been fine since . My son has the 1.5-5 VX3 with the heavy duplex on his Ruger and likes the heavy duplex at first and last light , says he can see it better.

Currently running a Williams 3D peep sight and fire front sight. Sadly, it's time to move to a scope. Leupold VX3i 1.5 to 5 is getting the call. I shoot 405 grain Buffalo Bore for bear and can't risk cheaping out on the scope. The recoil is very stout. Very very stout.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Cool setup.. is that what they call a scout scope?

I have a 1894 .357 and am looking to get a skinner peep sight for it.
    Yup. Or a handgun scope. Just longer eye relief than typical scopes.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato