Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    lancaster, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Posts
    1,001
    Rep Power
    6814

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    Not trying to start an argument here, but I disagree. The tricky thing about killing people is to not shoot your buddy by accident, or civilians for that matter. Firearms safety is a big part of weapons training, and indiscretions are dealt with swiftly and almost brutally by the chain of command.

    As far as fairness goes, you gave up 8 hours to sit through a class. Over the course of my 6 years I gave up a week in basic training, one day/year for qualification, a month of MOUT training, as well as countless hours of rehearsals, and more time than I want to think about doing it for real. All of this involved situational awareness, knowing your target and what is beyond, and muzzle awareness, which I rarely see from someone who just took a hunter safety course.
    Hunter safety is a small part of the course. It also teaches you the laws of the state. The different types of hunting and how they are done. It goes over different animals in the state and what is legal for them. Yes safety is the upmost important, but the course offers more than that.
    Hunting is totaly different than military shooting. Different tactics , different guns , different "game". My father had a term for guys that just bought a gun and went out to the woods and "hunted". He use to call them "kmart hunters" all they did was buy what they saw on tv and just went to the woods thinking they were going to kill a deer.
    Im not saying your not an experienced hunter ,just saying this for those that dont know.

    I took this course last year. I have been hunting since I was 12 years old and am now 36. I took it because I had never purchased a PA license and it was "required". I have probably taken a half of dozen hunter courses over my life and sppent time in the military and the police academy, but I took the one up here because it is required and it is great information for you if you have never hunted in PA.
    No longer posting

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    22001

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    I have no interest in hunting. Nice skills to have for a SHTF time and the shooting at moving targets that can hide sounds like fun but. But I have no interest in cleaning and gutting the catch. And I hate the taste of wild meat.

    That said, hunting is part of the gun culture and if I want hunters to take more interest in protecting my shooting rights and my rights to carry I need to take an interest in theirs.

    The world counts numbers. How many hunters are there? Only a handful then why should we listen to them? Small numbers translates to small number of voters so who cares about them? Some might also say if not many people are doing it then it must not be very much fun.

    I was thinking about getting a hunting license just to bring up the numbers and urge others to do the same.

    What are the draw backs?
    Are there enough licenses for everyone or are they limited?
    Will having a hunting license make for problems if I carry my handgun while backpacking? (that's the big one)

    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Although I share you love for target shooting and "shooting" in general (unloading hundreds of shells for fun), I have to say that the "group" of hunters in Pennsylvania is in no way small in numbers.

    You are exactly right when saying people count numbers and it could not hurt to go out and support the cause.

    PS: Have you ever been hunting? I am fairly new to it, maybe 3 years ago-ish. but the first time I went it was awesome. Every little noise in the woods puts you on edge and fills you with adrenaline. Once you learn to clean your game it is fairy satisfying.

    The thought of going out on your own (or with friends) and stalking prey and taking its life. And then the thought of feeding your family, having a possible trophy, and the sheer satisfaction of knowing that when the shit hits the fan you will be able to fend for yourself.

    But any way... I cant imagine the number of hunters in PA is in any way insignificant.... But please.... SIGN UP! haha.
    FU BHO.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia/Honesdale, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    287417

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Anywhere to buy hunting lic in Philly?

    Joe

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,722
    Rep Power
    21845

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by stopphillysmrdrrate View Post
    Anywhere to buy hunting lic in Philly?

    Joe
    walmart, most sporting goods stores, or online
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

    Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,722
    Rep Power
    21845

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Although I share you love for target shooting and "shooting" in general (unloading hundreds of shells for fun), I have to say that the "group" of hunters in Pennsylvania is in no way small in numbers.

    You are exactly right when saying people count numbers and it could not hurt to go out and support the cause.

    PS: Have you ever been hunting? I am fairly new to it, maybe 3 years ago-ish. but the first time I went it was awesome. Every little noise in the woods puts you on edge and fills you with adrenaline. Once you learn to clean your game it is fairy satisfying.

    The thought of going out on your own (or with friends) and stalking prey and taking its life. And then the thought of feeding your family, having a possible trophy, and the sheer satisfaction of knowing that when the shit hits the fan you will be able to fend for yourself.

    But any way... I cant imagine the number of hunters in PA is in any way insignificant.... But please.... SIGN UP! haha.
    you are correct, there are between 850k - 900k hunters in PA annually.

    If you use a PGC firing range you should absolutely buy a license... since you are using the hunters money to shoot on this land
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

    Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Newport, Pennsylvania
    (Perry County)
    Posts
    1,338
    Rep Power
    4973

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Although I share you love for target shooting and "shooting" in general (unloading hundreds of shells for fun), I have to say that the "group" of hunters in Pennsylvania is in no way small in numbers.

    You are exactly right when saying people count numbers and it could not hurt to go out and support the cause.

    PS: Have you ever been hunting? I am fairly new to it, maybe 3 years ago-ish. but the first time I went it was awesome. Every little noise in the woods puts you on edge and fills you with adrenaline. Once you learn to clean your game it is fairy satisfying.

    The thought of going out on your own (or with friends) and stalking prey and taking its life. And then the thought of feeding your family, having a possible trophy, and the sheer satisfaction of knowing that when the shit hits the fan you will be able to fend for yourself.

    But any way... I cant imagine the number of hunters in PA is in any way insignificant.... But please.... SIGN UP! haha.
    There are also programs out there that you can donate your deer meat to and it goes to help feed the homeless I believe.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,722
    Rep Power
    21845

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    There are also programs out there that you can donate your deer meat to and it goes to help feed the homeless I believe.
    yeah its called Hunters Sharing the Harvest

    http://www.sharedeer.org/
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

    Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, PA
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    12957

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Just wondering. I took the hunters safety course in the mid to late '80s here in PA. I have just moved back to the state and would love to begin hunting again. I don't have a copy of my license anymore, am I still good to get a license or will I have to re take the course?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,327
    Rep Power
    21474866

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    Just wondering. I took the hunters safety course in the mid to late '80s here in PA. I have just moved back to the state and would love to begin hunting again. I don't have a copy of my license anymore, am I still good to get a license or will I have to re take the course?

    Technically you are good to get a license if you did in deed take and pass it, but you should really have that card. ...You can file for a replacement card. They have them on record back to 1987 or so. Before that you have to sign an affidavit swearing to having taken and passed the course.


    clicky linky below:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=587168&mode=2

    I had the same problem before. I took the course when I was 12yo in 1984, but lost it. Instead of getting a replacement card I just retook the course with a cousin who had just turned of hunting age back in '92.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 18th, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, PA
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    12957

    Default Re: PA Hunting License Information

    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Technically you are good to get a license if you did in deed take and pass it, but you should really have that card. ...You can file for a replacement card. They have them on record back to 1987 or so. Before that you have to sign an affidavit swearing to having taken and passed the course.


    clicky linky below:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=587168&mode=2

    I had the same problem before. I took the course when I was 12yo in 1984, but lost it. Instead of getting a replacement card I just retook the course with a cousin who had just turned of hunting age back in '92.
    Thanks. I really appreciate the quick reply. I will call them tomorrow.

    Oddly enough, I took the course in '87, so I should be on record. I am going over to my parents house this weekend to see if by some miracle it is still somewhere with my stuff from when I was a kid, just in case.

    Againg, thank you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops