Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Post What if I shot a bear in self defense . Almost happend last night

Delete
    Last edited by Her9852; August 24th, 2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Were you wearing 5.11 pants?I make you guys all the time.

(Washington County)

Default Re: What if I shot a bear in self defense . Almost happend last night

Um, pretty sure you just call the game commission and tell them to do a clean up? I don't think it's that big of a deal in obvious self defense scenario like that, but I could be wrong. Just guessing here. I'm not even going to say how this would go down in my area.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Me personally, I would follow the 3 "S" rule. Just saying hypothetical.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Northampton County)

Just yell, "It's coming right for us!" before you fire.

It's an open secret that a woman's first cold body on the street is free (just kidding - sort of), I would think you'd get some consideration on a bear you shot at close range as well.

Keep a drop gun on you and if you shoot it, put the gun near the bear and tell the police you feared for your life. Hey, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

(Northampton County)

Sprinkle some crack on him.

(York County)

Yea, just call game commission/animal control to come get the carcass.

If it was a residential area, call 911 and let them know what happened/why a firearm was discharged. A police officer would most likely come out to take a report but that's about it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Her9852 View Post
    I'm apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong sub forum , but didn't seem right to post in carry conceal sub .
    I was walking my dog and the bear was out .
    I always carry when I can .
    I avoided any confrontation with the animal .
    The bear stood up on his hindlegs and puffed up and was about to charge me and my dog .
    I was ready .
    I clapped and stompt like a nut . The bear kept comming directly towards us .
    I was about 75 yards away , now my street is one way in and one way out . There's a big field that I walk my dog .
    I was in luck a a car came up on the hill and the bear stopped and ran the opposite way back into the woods .

There's a lot of what if? Questions running through my head .
    So if I shot a bear in self defense ,what would happen ? Would I get arrested, fined, firearms taken away ?
    Any help would be great .
    I am not looking for a reason to shoot the bear but if that car didn't come up and start beeping .
    I would have had to discharge my firearm at this bear .
    This bear is huge btw .
    Any info links would be great
    Assuming you survive antagonizing the bear with the handgun, you will have to providing convincing proof that the shooting was a necessity of self-defense. The shooting will be investigated by a game commission officer for assessment with a finding of justification or charges under various game laws.

34 Pa CS § 2141. Killing game or wildlife to protect person.

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for a person to kill any game or wildlife as a means of protection unless it is clearly evident from all the facts that a human is endangered to a degree that the immediate destruction of the game or wildlife is necessary.

(b) Report, safekeeping and investigation.--A person killing any game or wildlife under this subchapter shall report the event to an officer as soon as possible following the incident but in no case later than 24 hours, provide for safekeeping of the game or wildlife intact at the place where it was killed and be available for interview by the officer. The person killing the game or wildlife shall answer, without evasion, any pertinent questions of the officer making the investigation.

(c) Exoneration.--At the conclusion of any investigation when any game or wildlife is allegedly killed as protection to a person, the officer may exonerate the person for the otherwise unlawful killing of the game or wildlife. In all cases the officer shall seize and dispose of the game or wildlife as required by this title or upon instructions of the director.

(d) Prosecution.--Any officer making an investigation when game or wildlife was allegedly killed as a protection to a person shall proceed with prosecution as though the game or wildlife was unlawfully killed if the officer is dissatisfied with the explanation of the person killing the game or wildlife or if the physical facts of the killing do not support and sustain the facts alleged by the person killing the game or wildlife.

(e) Penalties.--A violation of this section relating to:

(1) Threatened or endangered species is a misdemeanor.

(2) Elk or bear is a summary offense of the first degree.

(3) Deer is a summary offense of the second degree.

(4) Bobcat or otter is a summary offense of the third degree.

(5) Wild turkey or beaver is a summary offense of the fourth degree.

(6) Any other game or wildlife is a summary offense of the fifth degree.
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

I PM'd R.W.J, I assume he'll have something to say about this when if he shows up.

(Mercer County)

Smear bear blood on you
    Crawl underneath it
    Take photos
    Make thread on poofa about how 9mm really IS enough for bear
    Win internets
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast