Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PSP's report on Operation Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    OK, so you are only referring to complying with the requirement to provide proof of licensure, registration and insurance, not with the DUI aspect of a checkpoint. Got it. Thanks.
    Nooooooo.... Enforce the provisions of this title. "This Title" is Title 75...the vehicle code. It allows the police to ensure all of the provisions of the title....including DUI.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    OK, so you are only referring to complying with the requirement to provide proof of licensure, registration and insurance, not with the DUI aspect of a checkpoint. Got it. Thanks.
    Not at all, if they order me to dismount and walk the line, or maybe blow into the little box thingy, I will comply.
    I just won't answer questions without an attorney present because that is my right.

I guess it pisses me off in 2 directions, REAL PC/RAS is never really established, it's only established because of a law that never should have been passed says the government can stop you for check point type events. (Observing me swerving up to the checkpoint is perfect PC/RAS).

The second I imagine will make most of you laugh but I HATE the whole "where are you coming from" and "where are you headed" type questions. I know they are just trying to determine If I had been drinking or are drunk/high but I just chaps my ass, its an intrusion into my life that is none of any bodies business so I AM WILLING to answer these questions but only through a lawyer that they can provide.

On the flip side, If I wreck my car and they ask then they DO have PC/RAS and I will be more than happy to answer without legal counsel.

Yes I realize this means a long stay along side of the road or a personal invitation to visit their station just to stand my legal ground to a guy that is only really just trying to do his gig and get the drunks and such off the road.

Ironically for all of my bitterness, I have never experienced a Checkpoint and don't drive in a manner that I ever get stopped.
    I just don't dig the whole Checkpoint thing.

Clearly, I'm gettin' old and crabby. Lol
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    The second I imagine will make most of you laugh but I HATE the whole "where are you coming from" and "where are you headed" type questions.
    Questions during a traffic stop are to be limited to licensing, registration, insurance, and the violation itself. Anything other than that is a no-no.....

Comm v. Lopez

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19926...M%20v.%20LOPEZ

(Chester County)

I guess that's what I get for talking on rumor vs what actually happens.

Thanks!!!!
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Franklin County)

Funny how they mention "illegal guns", yet describe heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana, and Rx drugs as "illegally possessed." As if the guns are *always* illegal, but the other items are ok in certain situations.

With the exception of Rx drugs, it seems completely ass backwards to me...but of course, there's no hidden agenda.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    . . . I just won't answer questions without an attorney present because that is my right. . .

The second I imagine will make most of you laugh but I HATE the whole "where are you coming from" and "where are you headed" type questions. I know they are just trying to determine If I had been drinking or are drunk/high but I just chaps my ass, its an intrusion into my life that is none of any bodies business so I AM WILLING to answer these questions but only through a lawyer that they can provide.

On the flip side, If I wreck my car and they ask then they DO have PC/RAS and I will be more than happy to answer without legal counsel. . .
    First of all, are you sure that you qualify for a public defender? Second, remember that whether you feel they are justified in asking you questions or not, ANYTHING you say can be used against you. So you have nothing more to lose by answering questions in your first example than if asked about how you wrecked your car.

In the overwhelming majority of encounters courteous, matter-of-fact answers to police questions will most likely have you on your way in short order. But many (if not most) here on PAFOA would encourage you to take advantage of your Fifth Amendment rights. It's none of my business what you choose to do.

I agree that these checkpoints are total bullshit, but they are an unfortunate fact of life that we have to live with.

Of course I'll include the standard IANAL disclaimer.

(Bucks County)

Cool Re: PSP's report on Operation Nighthawk

Late to the game, just saw this. So, am I reading this correctly? Out of 928 vehicles stopped, 807 were wives or other family members of cops! Wow, that seems to be an inordinate amount of cops wives and kids out driving around at night. You'd think someone would have warned them which streets to avoid, huh?

Oh Thank God they got those dangerous no-seatbelt-wearing scofflaws rightly punished too. I can't tell you how many times Sally SoccerMom has endangered my family by refusing to buckle her seatbelt!! It's SCARY!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Late to the game, just saw this. So, am I reading this correctly? Out of 928 vehicles stopped, 807 were wives or other family members of cops! Wow, that seems to be an inordinate amount of cops wives and kids out driving around at night. You'd think someone would have warned them which streets to avoid, huh?

Oh Thank God they got those dangerous no-seatbelt-wearing scofflaws rightly punished too. I can't tell you how many times Sally SoccerMom has endangered my family by refusing to buckle her seatbelt!! It's SCARY!!!
    Good thing this wasn't in WARMINSTER!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Good thing this wasn't in WARMINSTER!
    Oh, they'd kill your Grandma in Warminster for far less than a seat belt infraction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234