Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: PSP's report on Operation Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    And if 7 out of 8 were given tickets instead of warnings, someone else would be complaining about that.
    Not me, if 8 out of 8 were stopped for real reasons. If I am stopped for a violation of the law, so be it, give me a ticket or a warning at your discretion. Of course, I would prefer a warning, not a fine. That's human nature. But if I get a ticket, that's my problem, if I was doing something wrong.

I DO NOT want to be stopped as some part of a random checkpoint (even if it is part of a court approved program, the court is wrong) while I am doing nothing to give RAS to anyone. I DO NOT want someone sticking their nose into my car and sniffing for alcohol simply because he did it to a car three cars ahead of me, and will do it to the third car behind me. That is unconstitutional, regardless of what a court declares. I would much rather see roving patrols looking for suspicious activity than a checkpoint. Most of all though, I would like to see police just do their job while following the law themselves.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I DO NOT want to be stopped as some part of a random checkpoint (even if it is part of a court approved program, the court is wrong) while I am doing nothing to give RAS to anyone. I DO NOT want someone sticking their nose into my car and sniffing for alcohol simply because he did it to a car three cars ahead of me, and will do it to the third car behind me. That is unconstitutional, regardless of what a court declares. I would much rather see roving patrols looking for suspicious activity than a checkpoint. Most of all though, I would like to see police just do their job while following the law themselves.
    Exactly, stop me if I actually do something wrong, otherwise have a nice day!!
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    Exactly, stop me if I actually do something wrong, otherwise have a nice day!!
    The "have a nice day" stuff does not work in Pennsylvania. Checkpoints here are not like the ones in other states where you can choose not to "comply".

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    The "have a nice day" stuff does not work in Pennsylvania. Checkpoints here are not like the ones in other states where you can choose not to "comply".
    What do you mean? That you cannot choose to not comply in PA? Please explain.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

Nonsense. Lol
    Here is my DL any questions can be answered through a lawyer that you furnish me and I don't give permission to any searches.

I comply without complying. I AM willing to answer questions (I am complying within the law) but only through a lawyer. (and that is my legal right)
    I don't give consent for any searches (but they will do as they wish anyway.)
    I am required to show my license while operating a motor vehicle and I did.

SEE, now what could possibly go wrong? buhahahahaha
    Last edited by dunno; April 2nd, 2015 at 12:54 PM.

(York County)

Agreed, but has our court system approved checkpoints for license, registration, and insurance? I was under the impression that the court found DUI checkpoints were a violation of the 4th, but for the good of the public. IF only DUI checkpoints, not a request for other items, are acceptable, then the conversation should go something like this:

Officer: DUI checkpoint, license and registration please.

Me: Sir, could you please tell me the pattern in which you are pulling over cars to conform with state law?

Officer: every third vehicle, license and registration please...

Me: this is a DUI checkpoint correct?

Officer: Yes

Me: If this is a DUI checkpoint, then why are you asking for my license and registration? Since when did the courts approved this violation of my remaining 4th amendment rights?
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    What do you mean? That you cannot choose to not comply in PA? Please explain.
    No.. you can not. 6308B of the vehicle code states...

(b) Authority of police officer.--Whenever a police officer is engaged in a systematic program of checking vehicles or drivers or has reasonable suspicion that a violation of this title is occurring or has occurred, he may stop a vehicle, upon request or signal, for the purpose of checking the vehicle's registration, proof of financial responsibility, vehicle identification number or engine number or the driver's license, or to secure such other information as the officer may reasonably believe to be necessary to enforce the provisions of this title.

Checkpoints are considered by the courts as "systematic checking's of vehicles"

(Philadelphia County)

(b) Authority of police officer.--Whenever a police officer is engaged in a systematic program of checking vehicles or drivers or has reasonable suspicion that a violation of this title is occurring or has occurred, he may stop a vehicle, upon request or signal, for the purpose of checking the vehicle's registration, proof of financial responsibility, vehicle identification number or engine number or the driver's license, or to secure such other information as the officer may reasonably believe to be necessary to enforce the provisions of this title.

Let's give them something to really think about:

Produce driver's license on demand.
    (a) General rule.--Every licensee shall possess a driver's license issued to the licensee at all times when driving a motor vehicle and shall exhibit the license upon demand by a police officer, and when requested by the police officer the licensee shall write the licensee's name in the presence of the officer in order to provide identity.

(Chester County)

That's why I said show my DL upon request. Lol
    I guess I should have included my insurance card and registration.

(Dauphin County)

OK, so you are only referring to complying with the requirement to provide proof of licensure, registration and insurance, not with the DUI aspect of a checkpoint. Got it. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast