Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Walther pistols and my ignorance

Please school me on them. My specific interest is in the PPQ, P99, PPS all 9mm. What are the differences in the designations of the P99 i.e AS,QX.

I don't know much about any of them but I really like them as far as looks goes. The PPS is cool cause it's like a mini P99 and a good CCW pistol.

Are they worth getting or does my M&P line up fit the bill better?

I know the PPX is another one but from what I gathered it's a cheaper model? I'm inquiring about that one too...
    Last edited by *Klutch*; March 31st, 2015 at 09:36 AM.

Default Re: Walther pistols and my ignorance

Way better stock trigger than the MP line.

They just arent as widely adopted in our market for accessories or holsters or anything of that nature.

Something to be said about "common use" pistols such as MPs and Glocks.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Please school me on them. My specific interest is in the PPQ, P99, PPS all 9mm. What are the differences in the designations of the P99 i.e AS,QX.

I don't know much about any of them but I really like them as far as looks goes. The PPS is cool cause it's like a mini P99 and a good CCW pistol.

Are they worth getting or does my M&P line up fit the bill better?

I know the PPX is another one but from what I gathered it's a cheaper model? I'm inquiring about that one too...
    I had a PPS in .40. VERY CONCEALABLE and never missed a beat. But the felt recoil was tremendous. Except for that I love it. The recoil was so bad that when I took it to a men's shoot it was the ONLY gun that when offered a second magazine to fire off everyone said NO. PPS, by the way, stands for Police Pistol Slim. It probably would be much better in 9mm. If you are not recoil sensitive I could recommend it. I have always been impressed with Walther quality. I have only ever heard GOOD THINGS about the PPQ. It is a bit larger than the PPS. My current CC is a pocket pistol. My larger piece is a a revolver. If had to buy again I would certainly consider the PPQ. Have FUN, the research and choosing is half the enjoyment. Let us know what you pick.
    Very enjoyable topic - thanks.

PS - extra magazines for the PPS cost upwards to $60 each. Forgot to mention that. A little pricey, but once you have one, you have one.
    Last edited by Hokkmike; March 31st, 2015 at 02:47 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Well, they're very accurate guns with excellent triggers, but they've been a bit overlooked in the US market, which is probably their own fault. Most use a paddle-style mag release which is unusual here, and may take some getting used to for those of you with ingrained habits. The PPQ M2 and the PPX use the more common button release. The P99 was a joint venture with S&W, and they handled distribution for Walther from 1999 to 2013. Smith & Wesson continues to manufacture the PPK for Walther Arms, Inc. and CARL WALTHER will continue to manufacture the M&P22 handgun for S&W. Walther now has their own US setup at Fort Smith, Arkansas, and they now offer a Lifetime warranty on all guns built since 1994.

The P99 models are described as follows:

The P99 offers the choice between Full Size (FS) and Compact (C) frame sizes.
    The P99 is available in 9mm x 19 and .40 S&W cartridges, and with Anti-Stress, Quick-Action and Double-Action-Only trigger actions.
    Anti-Stress (AS):
    Traditional Double-Action/Single-Action trigger with Decocker.
    Quick-Action (QA):
    The pre-set trigger action with short trigger travel and same trigger pull from the first to the last round, and Field-Stripping Aid.
    Double-Action-Only (DAO):
    Double-Action Trigger with same trigger pull from the first to the last round. The striker returns to its de-cocked position after each shot.

I love my PPX, even though it's considered an entry-level gun, and ugly by most accounts until you hold one and shoot one. I doubt you can find a better gun for the price (currently CDNN still has it at $280, and $300 for the threaded barrel version).

Maybe someday I'll have a PPQ.
    My goal in Life is to become the kind of problem that people throw money at.

(Bucks County)

Kutch, contact Tanners Sports Center in Jamison PA. They have the PPQ M1 Classic brand new for $450. That is an incredible price for an incredible handgun. There is no better striker fired handgun on the market.

(Bucks County)

I am only familiar with the PPQ M2, which I have now had for a couple months and a few hundred rounds. I used to be a Glock fan. But once I tried the PPQ trigger, I was sold.

Today I was shooting the M2 with stock sights and one of my G19s (which happens to have an RMR on the slide) to test some new handloads. My G19 groups are twice the size of the M2, even when slow firing. Some of that difference is due to shooter fit and preference, but I attribute much of it to the excellent stock trigger and fit of the M2.

along those lines, anyone get to hold a CCP yet? They look sleek and if they are anything like the PPQ i could definitely add that to my short list.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by harp28 View Post
    Well, they're very accurate guns with excellent triggers, but they've been a bit overlooked in the US market, which is probably their own fault.

Maybe someday I'll have a PPQ.
    When they came out with the button mag release in the PPQ M2 we jumped on two of them in 9mm which now have become our daily carries. There's a good selection of holsters out there - mine is an IMI.

The trigger reset is out of this world for a stock trigger.

They will feed any round I have put in the magazine from 115 gr RN to 122 gr RNFP to 124 RN to 147 RNFP. Commercial ammo or my reloads.

My wife's is the 4" barrel and mine is the 4.5" suppressor-capable Navy model. I actually like her 4" better because it's a quicker draw and you'll need a wrap or two of plumber's tape to keep the thread protector on the 4.5" model from coming loose during range time. Putting Locktite on the threads isn't an option because you need to take the thread protector off during cleaning in order to remove the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I am only familiar with the PPQ M2, which I have now had for a couple months and a few hundred rounds. I used to be a Glock fan. But once I tried the PPQ trigger, I was sold.

Some of that difference is due to shooter fit and preference, but I attribute much of it to the excellent stock trigger and fit of the M2.
    They are accurate right out of the box and the stock trigger compares favorably to the stock trigger on a Wilson Combat. There are three grip straps (put on the one that works for you). The three dot sights are just fine for our purposes and I have never felt a need to futz with after-market modifications. We've never really been double stack people, but having 15 rounds in the mag and two additional mags as back-up, is, well, reassuring...

And since there's two of us, that's 90 rounds of "Come and whoop our ass..."

We do understand that the primary purpose of our PPQ M2's is to fight our way to our battle rifles...

Just sayin'.
    - bamboomaster

I've never shot a PPK or PPQ. I am a big fan of the Walter PPS though. My best friend bought one for his wife, and I've put several hundreds of rounds through it. I've only shot one in 9mm, and the recoil isn't bad at all, and is very controllable. I can see if you had it in .40 S&W, higher pressure round, how it could be pretty snappy and hard to control with my big mitts. So I can see Hokkmike's experience happening in .40 S&W and that pistol in some people's hands. In 9mm, the pistol is so slim and shoots great. The triggers are nice, and the pistol just fits well in the hand. As everyone has said, the triggers are very nice, short crisp break and very short reset. I'm actually a big fan of the paddle style mag release. Maybe I just got used to it from my Walther P-22, but I really like it. I just keep my trigger finger straight out on the frame where you'd have it in a "non shooting" position, and push down with my middle finger. Mag drops right out and you're good to go. They're probably not for everyone, but if you can get your hands on one or shoot one, I'd definitely recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    along those lines, anyone get to hold a CCP yet? They look sleek and if they are anything like the PPQ i could definitely add that to my short list.
    I held one at the Harrisburg show with a stainless slide. I don't know what the PPQ feels like but the CCP is F-ing sweet. That's the gun that got me to start looking into them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast