My previous 20-60x Cheap-O, auction purchased at $130 spotting scope crapped out on me at the end of last year. The threads to screw in the eye piece were probably on their way out when I purchased the scope, and it's no longer possible to screw it in with any positive traction, even with plumber's tape.

It was a CELESTRON - yeah, I know, top of the line...

Whoever was behind the scope could call out adjustments to the shooter out to 600 yds. from behind it's mini-table-mounted tripod.

So I've spent the last winter shoveling my driveway and deck, and looking at alternative spotting scopes as possible replacements.

I've looked at SWARO's, KOWA's, LEUPOD's, etc. and honestly, while I'm pretty adept at quoting the number of grains of powder to drop behind a bullet, I'm pretty confused and need the help of all the brain-trust folks here who have a favorite or have researched the matter better than I.

There's no hunting "spotting" involved, so it's totally for the range. We used to shoot just out to 600, and the deceased scope did just fine (God rest her soul), but we're going to go out several hundred yards further, and I'd rather not make another cheap mistake - or an expensive mistake either!

No, we don't plan to shoot at Camp Perry, but we have many rifles that could...

The budget ranges from "Buy once, cry once" for something that will burn through mirage to something that does the job and is more affordable. Comes with a guarantee and will last for at least 20 years.

Well, even if the guarantee doesn't last that long, hopefully the scope would.

The thing that vexes me is that some packages include just the main body of the scope - and then you have to pay additional for the ocular that lets you actually see through it. And if you need a stand, and in most sights I've searched, THERE ARE NO RECOMMENDATIONS for the stand. And then you need the scope cover if you're shooting in inclement weather.

What works for you?

Do I need a 20x80?

I just don't know, so I'm respectfully turning my problem over to the erudite members of PAFOA and hoping that you can recommend something that works for me.

While I'm not a prolific poster, I usually learn something new every time I log-in to PAFOA because of folks like you, many who have long-ago become embedded in my DNA.

Thanks to each of you who have taken the time out of your day to read this post for "HELP!"