Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Chester County)

Arrow Can you folks help me out with a spotting scope recommendation?

My previous 20-60x Cheap-O, auction purchased at $130 spotting scope crapped out on me at the end of last year. The threads to screw in the eye piece were probably on their way out when I purchased the scope, and it's no longer possible to screw it in with any positive traction, even with plumber's tape.

It was a CELESTRON - yeah, I know, top of the line...

Whoever was behind the scope could call out adjustments to the shooter out to 600 yds. from behind it's mini-table-mounted tripod.

So I've spent the last winter shoveling my driveway and deck, and looking at alternative spotting scopes as possible replacements.

I've looked at SWARO's, KOWA's, LEUPOD's, etc. and honestly, while I'm pretty adept at quoting the number of grains of powder to drop behind a bullet, I'm pretty confused and need the help of all the brain-trust folks here who have a favorite or have researched the matter better than I.

There's no hunting "spotting" involved, so it's totally for the range. We used to shoot just out to 600, and the deceased scope did just fine (God rest her soul), but we're going to go out several hundred yards further, and I'd rather not make another cheap mistake - or an expensive mistake either!

No, we don't plan to shoot at Camp Perry, but we have many rifles that could...

The budget ranges from "Buy once, cry once" for something that will burn through mirage to something that does the job and is more affordable. Comes with a guarantee and will last for at least 20 years.

Well, even if the guarantee doesn't last that long, hopefully the scope would.

The thing that vexes me is that some packages include just the main body of the scope - and then you have to pay additional for the ocular that lets you actually see through it. And if you need a stand, and in most sights I've searched, THERE ARE NO RECOMMENDATIONS for the stand. And then you need the scope cover if you're shooting in inclement weather.

What works for you?

Do I need a 20x80?

I just don't know, so I'm respectfully turning my problem over to the erudite members of PAFOA and hoping that you can recommend something that works for me.

While I'm not a prolific poster, I usually learn something new every time I log-in to PAFOA because of folks like you, many who have long-ago become embedded in my DNA.

Thanks to each of you who have taken the time out of your day to read this post for "HELP!"
    - bamboomaster

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Can you folks help me out with a spotting scope recommendation?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

what is your budget for spotting scopes?
    are you looking to see bullet holes on paper at 600 yards or more or are you using the scope to see spotters at 600-1,000 yards as well as wind conditions,bullet splash, and mirage?

(Bucks County)

You may benefit from browsing this man's site.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/default.htm

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post

He definitely has good prices on Kowa's. I've had mine for about 15 years, doubt it'll ever give up but if it does, that's what I'd buy again. I like their long eye relief because of my prescription glasses. Almost everyone who shoots Black Powder Silhouette (200 - 500 meters) eventually picks up a Kowa. Clear optics, easy to see mirage, bullet splash, bullet wake.

kowa spotting scopes are top notch and they do have the option of the LER for an extra $350.

i know you have down the celestron road before, but take a look at the regal 80 M2 ED...it got an 80MM obj lens, wide FOV, you can interchange any standard optical lens, and also has the LER.

it's right around $700..

it reads mirage on your target and you can also see the mirage from 4 other targets around yours. no problems reading spotters also.

compare kowa, celestron and see what best suits your needs.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc21 View Post
    what is your budget for spotting scopes?
    are you looking to see bullet holes on paper at 600 yards or more or are you using the scope to see spotters at 600-1,000 yards as well as wind conditions,bullet splash, and mirage?
    Don't need to see the bullet holes at 600, for we measure them after the fact. My wife's best ten shot group from our AIAW (proned out) was 2.62" @ 600. But to see spotters at 600 - 1000 yards, wind conditions, bullet splash, and mirage would be great, for if I can read it, she can hit it.

The budget is anywhere from "buy once, cry once" to just something that will just do the job, even if it isn't a brand name.

Thanks so much for taking the time to offer your remarks...
    - bamboomaster

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post

Thanks so much for each of you pointing me in a direction where I could at least read about possible recommendations that you have already perused.

I'm very grateful! And am gonna be offline for a while clicking in to your recommended links.

Kindest regards,
    - bamboomaster