Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 1911 feeding issue

Hey guys got a question I just got my first 1911. It's a Taurus I traded for it is used and only came with one magazine. I will start by saying I have not shot the pistol yet nor had the previous owner however the owner before him had shot it quite a bit. When I insert the magazine I noticed it does not go up the whole way if you attempt to chamber a round it will push the round into the feed ramp. And not chamber. If I hold the bottom of the magazine and push up it will chamber the rounds flawlessly. My question is what could cause this? Is this a magazine issue? Is the mag release? The magazine does not fall out or anything like that. I am new to 1911s. Thanks for any help as usually guys! Upon further review it appears that the first round of the magazine is loaded with it's full 8 rounds just needs to be placed carefully to have the proper pitch to feed. Looks like I need some
    New magazines?
    Last edited by Mastiff4570; March 28th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 feeding issue

There are some good 1911 troubleshooters here who will chime in I'm sure but with those kinds of issues I always start with the mags.

Take a gander at this Hilton Yam 1911 Magazine Article... I'm a BIG Fan of the Yam...

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-magazines/

Yes, I'd say new mags are in order. I use Wilsons & Chip McCormic mags. Tripps are good too. While you're at it, since the age & round count aren't known, you might want to replace the recoil spring. They're pretty inexpensive. Have fun.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Are you riding the slide when cambering a round or letting it slam shut like you should? If your riding the slide try slingshoting it like you would normally so and see if it's still happening.

Not all 1911 mags are created equally I typically stick with Chip McCormick's myself but Wilson makes some excellent ones if you want to pony up a few extra bucks.

(Allegheny County)

Getting another mag is probably the easiest way to figure it out. If the new mag works fine, then the mag was the problem. As Hodgie stated, don't use the slide stop, but manually drop the slide. What ammo were you trying to load? 1911s are notorious for having feed issues with hollow-points. You could also try polishing the feed ramp, which is really simple to do if you have some high grit sand paper laying around. That won't fix your issue, but will help with overall reliability.

(Lancaster County)

Sounds to me like the Mag is not seating properly. Try a new (or different) mag and see if you get the same result. Try it empty and see if if it fits flush, and then try it with 3 rounds and see if they load - then get some Wilson mags and through the old one away !

Good luck ! Cb

(Westmoreland County)

As always thanks for the great advice I will pick up another mag and give the a shot I will start at the feed ramp if that does not fix it I have tried with both fmjs and hollow points. I am gonna tried to get it to the range this week once I pick up a new mag and see if that helps. I am aware of not riding the slide. This is why this is the best gun forum online positive and respectful help!

Who made the mag that came with it?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lawrence County)

Oh my goodness.

There are a number of possibilities, but the first place I'd try is looking at the mag lips toward the front. They are likely too tight and the round is sitting too low and stalling on the ramp. Try spreading the lips a bit.

(insert dirty joke here).

Lycannotwithouthumorthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

This might be a really stupid question but is it an 8 rd mag? Standard is 7. My stock Springfield mags are all 7rds I had to buy Chip McCormick and Wilson combat mags for the 8rd. If you are stuffing 8 rds into a 7rd mag it might be why it won't seat properly.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast