Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Taurus Model 638 Question

There is a used Taurus Model 638 in .380 at the local gun store.

I LIKE the looks and the capacity.

I have read MIXED reviews on the pistol. (maybe that should say enough)

Your opinions of this pistol are appreciated.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Taurus Model 638 Question

I won't own a polymer Taurus pistol. I would buy a revolver from them, and maybe a PT1911 if I were going to work on it a bit, but their polymer pistols aren't good enough for me to own one, let alone carry one.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Cumberland County)

^^^^^ what he said - exactly !
    I owned one Taurus semi - a PT145 - garbage. Stopped going bang after 50 rounds. I do own Taurus revolvers and have not had any issues. I have also heard their 1911 models are decent, and their 92's are or were built in South America in an old Berretta plant with the same equipment so exact copies. I heard Beretta sued Taurus a few years back for continuing to build exact copies so not sure if/when they stopped?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Washington County)

Taurus = junk. Only junk brand I've had 3 of an all 3 had catastrophic failures wouldn't take one. For free

Hokkmike Guest

hmmm...first three replies are definitely trending. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    hmmm...first three replies are definitely trending. Thanks guys.
    I guess I gotta be the fish bone in the throat, I guess. I'm not going to go in to the success I had with Taurus polymers except to say I was careful about which ones I bought. It seems like the smaller carry guns made by them are the headache guns. The ones I owned and shot the shit out of were all full size 24/7 Pro/G2, and 800 series guns. I never had trouble with them and have a 24/7 Pro that just hit a documented 7800 rds without a single failure. That's where the rubber leaves the highway.

There have been some cases where these guns (the 638) were sent in for minor parts changes probably due to specs being off, from waht I can tell. Most people have been happy with them once they were repaired. Question is, do you risk buying this gun and having to send it in...on YOUR dime, or do you pass. I'm a hard headed MF, so I don't really listen to those who know more than me, but if you choose to get this gun, call Taurus, first, just to be sure there are still parts a plenty for it. If the price is over $200, I'd pass, and if you need to rely on it, immediately, I'd definitely pass. $200 or less and time to play with it and make sure it will be reliable??? It may be a decent deal.

Honestly, if Taurus put as much into the ignition and ejection parts as they do the build quality of their polymer frames and slides, as well as the ergonomics, the company could legitimately compete with Glock and S&W.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Not that I would own either , but I do think their semi-autos are better designed and made than their revolvers. Their revolvers are simply awful.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Not that I would own either , but I do think their semi-autos are better designed and made than their revolvers. Their revolvers are simply awful.
    See, you open up a can of worms every time you ask for opinions - lol.
    My experience is that their revolvers are good with no issues but stay away from semi's. And here someone has the total opposite experience. Unfortunately, that could mean what many say - Taurus overall is bad and you can just get good or bad in any format.................skip it and get a nice older Beretta 380 if you are looking for a hi cap 380
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    See, you open up a can of worms every time you ask for opinions - lol.
    My experience is that their revolvers are good with no issues but stay away from semi's. And here someone has the total opposite experience. Unfortunately, that could mean what many say - Taurus overall is bad and you can just get good or bad in any format.................skip it and get a nice older Beretta 380 if you are looking for a hi cap 380
    I wonder why Beretta stopped make those? Sales I suppose. I think they are a good option!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I wonder why Beretta stopped make those? Sales I suppose. I think they are a good option!
    MO is stay with 9mm. The recoil diff between two guns the exact same size isn't that much and it is much more plentiful, plus, if the SHTF, .380 will be gone, fast, and no one will be making it. It's not a fighting round. Some itches are better left unscratched...they'll eventually go away.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast