Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS?

So I've been looking at optics for a Scar 17. I'm going to go with a variable power scope, probably a 1-6x or something similar. I want something of decent quality and, not knowing a whole lot about scopes, have narrowed it down to a Leupold Mark 6, Kahles K16i, or maybe a Trijicon VCOG.

Then I notice the 1-8x scopes such as the Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS. I look on optics planet and see they start at $2,400. Ok, a few hundred dollars more than the Mark 6, but I expected that. I see it has an illuminated FFP mil/crosshair reticle but there are other options. I see a horseshoe reticle similar to the Mark 6 that I like better and holy shit... $3,500!!!!!

I looked at it and it's the same scope, FFP illuminated, only a different reticle. I even checked other sites and for different reticles it's about a $1,000 difference in price. Maybe I'm missing something but does it really cost over $1,000 to make a different reticle??? I'm having a hard time believing that so can someone shed some light on this?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS?

You really want it right?

That's the thousand dollar difference.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    So I've been looking at optics for a Scar 17. I'm going to go with a variable power scope, probably a 1-6x or something similar. I want something of decent quality and, not knowing a whole lot about scopes, have narrowed it down to a Leupold Mark 6, Kahles K16i, or maybe a Trijicon VCOG.

Then I notice the 1-8x scopes such as the Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS. I look on optics planet and see they start at $2,400. Ok, a few hundred dollars more than the Mark 6, but I expected that. I see it has an illuminated FFP mil/crosshair reticle but there are other options. I see a horseshoe reticle similar to the Mark 6 that I like better and holy shit... $3,500!!!!!

I looked at it and it's the same scope, FFP illuminated, only a different reticle. I even checked other sites and for different reticles it's about a $1,000 difference in price. Maybe I'm missing something but does it really cost over $1,000 to make a different reticle??? I'm having a hard time believing that so can someone shed some light on this?

Yes, this is probably some version of an ass-backwards promotion to get you to purchase a second SCAR and a half instead of a "We sell this to the military all the time and they just pay up thanks to the taxpayers" kind of scope.

Some days, especially after reading pricing disparities such as the one you encountered, I'm totally OK with open iron sights.

After all, wars were won without scopes for millennia - just think of the range of wars starting with the Greek phalanxes to the grunts in Vietnam.

Most wars within the last century or two weren't won by scopes - they were won by massive concentrated artillery, naval power (mostly to blockade ports, interrupt commerce on the open seas, and as platforms to launch strikes), and putative aerial bombardment of the enemy's civilian population.

So if you're hunting groundhogs, pinging steel, or punching paper, all you need is a scope that holds together under recoil and can quarter your target.

If you can quarter your target at any distance and know your ballistics, you can hit it.

I'm sure there's more than a few scopes under $500 that will work just fine for you.

Just sayin...
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

I have a Mk8 CQBSS with TMR and a Mk6 1-6 with CMR, and while they are both good scopes, there are some differences.

First, the reticles you are looking at that are $1,000 more are Horus reticles. These reticles are purchased from HorusVision and then placed inside the CQBSS. The "best" reticle is the H27D, which is an illuminated horseshoe that is daylight visible and can be used as a red dot type sight. It's very good, I actually was able to use use one to compare it my TMR Mk8.

The TMR Mk8 CQBSS has illumination, but it is not daylight visible so can't be used a red dot, but still usable.

The Mk8 CQBSS is very durable and robust and the glass quality is outstanding. The Horus reticles (27D) are outstanding and not only give 1x capability, but also contains information to allow you to use holdovers, windage to make 1000+ yard shots. The CQBSS has rings in both 5.56 77grn and 7.62 M118LR for click adj as well.

The thought process these days is that your optic is really your weapon. It allows you to see your target, identify your target, and allow you to use your data to position the optic to give you the most probably targeting data. The rifle under the optic merely delivers the bullet. It's the optic that does most of the work. Of course, this assumes that you have a quality rifle.

The CQBSS w/ H27D is almost universally acknowledged as the best all-around optic for dual role guns (0 - 1000 Meters).

To OP's point about the SCAR 17, the SCAR 17 is supposedly a little rough on optics, so you might want to invest in the most durable optic you can afford. We had someone run a CQBSS on a SCAR 17 over 2 days and 1000 rounds and it was fine.

(York County)

Thanks Michael! I did not realize they contracted another company for the reticles.

Is the glass still Leupold's then or are there clarity differences between the TMR and Horus scopes?

Also is your Mark 6 with CMR reticle daylight bright? And is the 6x fine for out to 300 yards? I might shoot farther but usually only between 25-300.

i don't know if your dead set on a leupold CQB scope, but bushnell, vortex and sightron also make a CQB scope for less than $1,000 and you get good optical quality and good C.S.
    especially if your only shooting to 300 yards no need for a busy horus reticle, FFP and the extra cost.
    Last edited by usmc21; March 27th, 2015 at 02:34 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc21 View Post
    i don't know if your dead set on a leupold CQB scope, but bushnell, vortex and sightron also make a CQB scope for less than $1,000 and you get good optical quality and good C.S.
    especially if your only shooting to 300 yards no need for a busy horus reticle, FFP and the extra cost.
    I was checking out the Vortex Razor HD 1-6 also. It would just be nice to have a FFP reticle it seems to be consistent at any magnification. But you're right the Vortex line seems nice for the price. I wonder how they would hold up to the recoil. I've heard of bushnells breaking on a Scar 17.

(Bucks County)

The reticles are Horus, the scope is Leopold, they just put the reticles inside the scope. I don't know what the procedures are, but Leopold makes the scope so it's great quality.

The Mk6 is fine all the way out to 1000 yards. The CMR reticle is daylight visible. I will say that you have to have your eye behind the scope. The eyebox is not that large, but you shouldn't have that much issue with it.

If you're shooting out to 300 yards max, you can probably get away with any of the really nice 1-4 options like Vortex, etc. at a much lower price. I have no experience with Bushnell's, so I can't speak to their quality or how they would fare on top of your SCAR17.

If I had to do it over, I would not have bought the CQBSS in TMR, I would have waited for the CQBSS in H27D. Now that I'm running a Mk6 1-6, I think it's fine for dual use. I'm sticking my CQBSS on my SR25 EMC which I will zero with the M110 suppressor attached and leave it like that.

Vortex has descent glass and tracks pretty good and is more suitable for field conditions
    Sightron would have the best optical clarity and best tracking, but would not want to beat it up. I emailed sightron about recoil and was told s3 line is 50 bmg tested..not sure about theit tactical scopes.
    Bushnell would be the cheapest and prolly my last choice.

Just wondering...I know I have looked at 6 power through my 6x24x50 s3 and have difficulty seeing the target...curious how that would compare to a 1x6 power at 1k yards

(Philadelphia County)

Once you start to get to 6x and certainly 8x....do you really need 1x?

How about a nice 2-7 or 3-9? They can be found for much cheaper.
    Put a set of offset irons, or even a canted red dot and you're in business.

If you've got the scratch and don't care, which it seems you might, screw kt, take a look at the kahless or vcog

Maybe take a look at the cheap vortex or psa 1-6 scopes as a proof of concept, and if you like them upgrade to a quality one and sell the old one for about what you spent on it
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast