Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default .22LR semi-auto rifle

My wife would like to get back into shooting. She hasn't shot in about 18 months due to our first child. She wants a semi-auto .22 rifle just to punch paper at the indoor range and occasionally outdoors when weather permits. Price is an issue due to our 8mo.old baby, we were thinking 300 bucks or less. Give me some good options or if there is nothing of quality for that price let me know. Thanks in advance!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Default Re: .22LR semi-auto rifle

With a budget of $300, you'll be able to get a quality 22 rifle and a *lot* of ammunition. Does the budget include logistic needs like eye & hearing protection, or do you have these items already?

The most popular rifle is the Ruger 10/22, although it isn't the only choice. It's very popular and about the closest to modular-oriented as they get. If you choose this option, I would stock up (heavily) on high capacity magazines -- fast.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    With a budget of $300, you'll be able to get a quality 22 rifle and a *lot* of ammunition. Does the budget include logistic needs like eye & hearing protection, or do you have these items already?

The most popular rifle is the Ruger 10/22, although it isn't the only choice. It's very popular and about the closest to modular-oriented as they get. If you choose this option, I would stock up (heavily) on high capacity magazines -- fast.

The Wife has all safety equipment and thanks for the speedy reply!
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; February 4th, 2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added content

(Luzerne County)

I'm with Rifleman on the 10/22 and his Hi-cap mag hoarding advice. It's tough to beat the 10/22 in the "fun for dollar spent" factor. Also, the 10/22 has more upgrades and accessories than any other 22 made...perhaps all other 22s combined!!! It can grow with you/her and be what ever you want it to be for surprisingly little cash. There is something about shooting a semi-auto 22 that just puts a smile on your face whether you are a newer shooter or an old dog.

(Delaware County)

The 10/22 is OK but the Marlin out of the box shoots better and is less finicky about ammo/accuracy. Plenty of indoor palces to shoot in Delco and in Philly. Keep that family shooting.
    Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post
    The 10/22 is OK but the Marlin out of the box shoots better and is less finicky about ammo/accuracy. Plenty of indoor palces to shoot in Delco and in Philly. Keep that family shooting.
    Best regards,
    chalmitch
    Is the Marlin you speak of the model 60? We usually shoot at Targetmaster for our indoor trips.

10/22 gets my vote too. I love mine. You won't have any feed problems once you find what it likes. Mine loves winchester powerpoint but will also feed federal bulk reliably..
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Montgomery County)

honestly, go with the 10/22, and skip the Marlins.

the marlins mod 60s are fairly iffy on quality, and you see them used in gunshops all the time, at low prices....they have no resale value.
    they look good, they shoot ok, but easily break.

the 10/22 has been around a long time, and there are hundreds of makers of aftermarket bolt ons from barrels to stocks, to triggers/sears, etc.

buy a standard 10/22 carbine, shoot it, and later, if you want, start upgrading it with a better barrel, and such.

you will enjoy it longer than the Marlin model, i guarantee it.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Blair County)

another vote for the 10/22. Factory mags and butler creek 25rd mags with remington high velocity keep it running like a top.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    Is the Marlin you speak of the model 60? We usually shoot at Targetmaster for our indoor trips.
    Yes it is. If you want to try a worked 10/22 you can borrow mine, as I live up Smithbridge from TargetMaster. It has new barrel, fancy stock, good optics. I bought it because in 5 shots I knocked the 5 silhouette chickens over at 50 yards, offhand. But never since-go figure.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast