Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Defective extended magazine for Ruger LCP

I got a Ruger LCP a few months ago, and more recently, I got the 7 round factory extended magazine for it. It has about 300 rounds fired with it in use.

A month or so ago, while cycling shells through the gun and magazine, I noticed that the follower was sticking in various positions, and the rounds would then be rattling around loose in the magazine. Not good.

So I took it apart and cleaned it well, and gave it a light layer of WD-40.

That seemed to fix it, but yesterday it started sticking again, and it hadn't been fired in the time since it was cleaned.

Is this a known problem, or did I just get a bad one somehow? Can I call Ruger for an exchange?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Defective extended magazine for Ruger LCP

Haven't had that experience, but a call to Ruger sounds like a good idea. Their customer service is pretty top notch, so they should correct your problem.

Has the magazine actually caused a malfunction? WD40 is not a substitute for proper gun oil or lub even cheap old rem oil is better.

(Dauphin County)

I wouldn't use WD-40 in any firearm application except water displacement (its original intended use) and maybe as a penetrating oil for stuck parts (but there are better products for that), and then only if followed by solvent and oiling. It tends to get gummy over time. If the mag was sitting with WD-40 in it for several months that might have been part of the problem.

Another cleaning is in order, and then back to Ruger for warranty service if it still doesn't work after that.

Like Klutch said below, there shouldn't be any lube or residual solvent in the mag after cleaning.
    Last edited by twency; March 24th, 2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: removed suggestion to use gun oil in mag
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Has the magazine actually caused a malfunction? WD40 is not a substitute for proper gun oil or lub even cheap old rem oil is better.
    Yes this. Not to mention I would remove ALL lube from the inside of the mag. It shouldn't be there

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Yes this. Not to mention I would remove ALL lube from the inside of the mag. It shouldn't be there
    Good point, I didn't think about that. I'm going to edit my comment above.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Okay, I will clean the whole thing out with isopropyl alcohol to get the insides gunk-free, and leave it dry and see how that goes. It has only been about 6 weeks since I cleaned and oiled it with the WD-40, and I kept the amount of oil to a minimum.

The sticking follower hasn't caused a malfunction while firing, but only because I haven't shot it since it was cleaned and oiled. I had to slap up on the bottom of the magazine pretty hard to unstick it.

I can't afford to risk it not feeding while in its use as a CC pistol.

(Allegheny County)

Update.

I figured out the problem. It was the bullets, not the magazine. I had the same 13 rounds in my 6 & 7 round magazines, and they all got run through the gun quite a few times. Some of the bullets moved in the cases a bit and came out a little. I found this by lining up the bullets on a table top and used the magazine as a straightedge to see that some bullets were higher than others. From now on I'll just leave them in the magazine and not cycle them all the time like a jackass.

The replacement 7 round magazine that Ruger sent me has worked flawlessly, I returned the old one. New bullets in it, not cycled through the gun many times.
    Last edited by timk225; April 26th, 2015 at 11:51 PM.