Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beretta Tomcat 3032... Opinions?

Looking at the Beretta Tomcat 3032 for my wife (CC)... She's been having a hard time racking a slide since her carpal tunnel operation...

Anyone familiar with them? opinions?

Default Re: Beretta Tomcat 3032... Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    Looking at the Beretta Tomcat 3032 for my wife (CC)... She's been having a hard time racking a slide since her carpal tunnel operation...

Anyone familiar with them? opinions?
    i've never owned one, but I have done some reading about that model because I've thought about it as a pocket gun.

From my research, it seems that some models have a propensity to crack in the frame after only a 1,000 or so rounds. If I were you, I'd look into a small revolver if slide-racking is hard. Perhaps a small, lightweight alloy .22 lr. The Ruger LCR 22 has gotten good reviews.

(Delaware County)

I have one that functions OK. Others have reported that quality control was hit or miss with this particular pistol. I did have another one that never managed to go through an entire magazine without hanging up (FTE) at least twice. Certainly better to use the pop up barrel if you have trouble working the slide. Just try and make sure that the thing functions OK.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

Bought my wife one back around 1992. It functioned fine, but have to say probably didn't put 50 rounds through it so can't really attest to reliability. At the time, got a surprise how unavailable .32 ACP was and expensive when found.

Trigger was a little tough for her, paid a gunsmith $95 to ease it up (as much as he could, which wasn't much).

Replaced it with a Ruger LCR .38 Special. She has fired +P in it with no problem (and she is a small lady).

Have you tried applying grip tape to the slide?

(Allegheny County)

I had one years ago I sold it. They are well made, they have a flip top barrel so she wont have to rack the slide to chamber one unless she doesn't carry it hot. You'll want to be very mindful of slide bite with this little gun, the rear of the slide is like pointed daggers. Theres also issues with cracked frames but that from what I remember is due to overcharged reloads.

Theres lots of other options to explore, The 32 round is nice to shoot but really hurts the wallet. Im sure others will follow with commentary to help guide you.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Cumberland County)

I like mine. Small, light, minute of paper plate at 10yds - ammo didn't seem to make a difference. Hand loads and factory ammo functioned fine. No FTF, FTE, etc.

The only thing that I would call a "problem" (for lack of a better term) is the lack of an extractor. It is a straight blow-back gun, so there is no need to have an extractor, but if you have a dud, "tap, rack, bang" will be of no help.

With that said, it's the gun that I carry when I'm not carrying a gun - usually on my ankle.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Lycoming County)

From what I've read, once you find ammo they like, they run fine. .32 is kind of pricey for what it is, but locally it isn't any worse than .380. The frame cracking issues where on the early blued models. If you are going to buy used you might want to look at getting the inox model. These never had any of the frame issues the blued ones did.

I don't own one, but I researched them a while back because I wanted one. I ended up getting a jetfire for a really good price instead. So far it has been good. I've only ran @ 100rds through it so far, but no issues at all with those. Little recoil and pretty darn accurate for such a small gun. Only problem is.25acp is even harder/pricier than .32 to get, so I haven't been able to shoot it much yet. If you can find a used jetfire it might be something to look at also.

(Montgomery County)

Default I like mine!

I carry it in an Aherns Pocket Natural holster. While it is bigger and heavier than a Seecamp LWS 32, it still isn't much of a front pocket load or bulge. It holds one more round than the Seecamp and the extra 0.6" height lets you get two fingers fully on the grip. The Tomcat has sights - and they are good sights.

The tip-barrel system is really neat. I think the Tomcat has one of the safest manual-of-arms of any semi-automatic pistol. Not having to ever rack the slide is a major advantage. Unloading is easy - remove the mag, tip the barrel and dump out the live round into your hand. No worries about first round set-back from frequent load/unload cycles!

On the other, if your wife plans to carry in her purse rather than pocket, a .38 or .357 revolver might be a better choice. More moxie, more handle to hold, cheaper ammo and a very safe manual-of-arms. If she likes this idea, encourage a little more barrel length - whatever will fit in her planned holster/purse.

(Lancaster County)

I got one (mainly to go with other .32s that I have for ammo commonality), The one I bought was used, I noticed the cracked frame after I bought it (from a LGS) took it back, they sent it back to Beretta who replaced it no charge in about 2 weeks. I like this little gun, it fits cleanly in a back pocket almost invisibly.
    I like the tip up barrel (I have the .22 bobcat as well, which I actually like better !) BUT the switch to tip the barrel is VERY difficult to use (good in a carry gun, but almost impossible if someone has arthritis). The DA/SA thing is difficult for me, as the switch to SA requires me to change my grip to accommodate.
    Accuracy is good (sights suck) and I can put all of the rounds in a paper plate at 10-15 yards (paper plates are my go-to target as well...)

As a carry gun it has its place, but I too would suggest a wheel-gun - maybe a tad bulkier in thickness and maybe not as glamorous, but ammo is cheaper, more powerful, and operation is almost idiot proof (NOT calling your wife an idiot! but for me, simple is better)

If you are near Elizabethtown PA, you and your wife are welcome to try mine,you supply the ammo.

Cb

P.S. I have accidentally dropped the mag by pressing the mag release during the draw from the back pocket.
    Last edited by solrac7; March 24th, 2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: ps

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    i've never owned one, but I have done some reading about that model because I've thought about it as a pocket gun.

From my research, it seems that some models have a propensity to crack in the frame after only a 1,000 or so rounds. If I were you, I'd look into a small revolver if slide-racking is hard. Perhaps a small, lightweight alloy .22 lr. The Ruger LCR 22 has gotten good reviews.
    Came to post this.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast