Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Thumbs down Final nail in the coffin for Grice gun shop

I urge everyone to stop giving grice their business. I understand the draw, large selection, good prices on stuff etc. but would it not be worth it to spend 20, 50, or even 100 dollars more at another store for a gun and not deal with their terrible customer service. I use to ALWAYS be on the hunt for the best deal. Best price on ammo, Cheapest gun, cheapest suppressor, etc. Now at the ripe age of 21 I no longer do this and really only give business to 2 "local" shops. (Bobs Army & Navy in Clearfield and Goodmans Arms in Mcelhatten (Outside of Lock Haven) Which I have much good to say about both.)
    I've gotten tired of poor selection and outrageous prices (IE Grices in clearfield, Nationals in Jersey shore) among others. To start Grices has lied to us before. They ordered in 2 QD muzzle brakes for us, a 556 and a 7.62, they said $62 a piece, when they finally got in they charged us 80 to 90 a piece for the muzzle brakes and just said "oh well idk who said that, but that's the price"
    Now the main reason for this post.

As I have probably posted months and months ago my father and I purchased a YHM 762 phantom (QD) from them. They've been running $600- $700 and grice's had one for $580. we jumped on it and bought it and did the paperwork. It was paid for on 4-6-14 about 2 or 3 days before E-File was shut down. We asked for them to try and e-file it. But if it didn't work or what not we figured they would just send it snail mail.
    About some time in June or July my dad had stopped by or called ( I cannot remember which) and asked them about the status. To which they responded with, "oh you wanted it sent in the regular mail then?" Uh yea that's what all the other shops do. Well we didn't hear anything, didn't hear anything. In the winter my dad stopped in and asked about the status and they said they hadn't heard anything yet. My dad got the serial number from them in the beginning of this month (March) and on the 12th I called the ATF to check the status because that was about 11 months waiting. 9 at the latest (if they did wait till june/ july to send it in) but the wait time is down to 6 months) I talked to the ATF guy and he said he had NO RECORD of that transaction. My dad called grices and they said they would look into it and would call back. about 5 days later he got a call and stopped in. They "lost the paperwork". They literally "lost" everything, our trust, the form 4, the everything. lol. luckily they could print out the sales receipt.
    So they wasted 11 months of our time and our $580 plus dollars. Which we did get back but no offer, no im sorry we messed up, heres a small discount, free hat, free I don't know. We weren't NEEDING a free whatever but I felt they would offer something with a screw up that big but no, just a, sorry that happened.
    What we believed happened was they posted the wrong price and sold it to us for the wrong price, found out the price they sold it for was for the direct thread 5.56 can at their dealer pricing of $580 and didn't find out until after we did the paperwork or when we called in june/ july and then they just "lost" the paperwork so they wouldn't take a hit. Even thought they messed up and could afford a $100 or so hit. This is just a hypotheses of what most likely happened and its one that makes the most sense.
    But once again Mike at Goodmans Arms REALLY helped my dad and I out. He got us the 762 QD phantom, the one we wanted, and almost matched their price on it. He pretty much gave it to us for dealer pricing I assume. Mike has helped me out before and most of my business is through him. While he was looking into his pricing he asked how much we paid and the $580 exactly mirrored the dealer price of the direct thread 5.56 phantom. the MSRP for the 762 QD phantom is about $800 now-a-days. So that's what we get for trying to get the best deal.
    I will NOT spend a penny more there and they entered the list of shops I will NEVER step foot in again and I hope my father wont either and I urge you forum members to think before stopping there again. Its not always about the best price.

Thank you
    I'm finally 21 and almost a real "Adult" according to the Govt

(Centre County)

Default Re: Final nail in the coffin for Grice gun shop

Woof! Sorry for the bullshit. Grices has switched prices on scopes right in front of my face even though the price was clearly marked.

Have you tried J&E Guns in Bellefonte? They usually have good prices and are a class 3 dealer.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Bummer you had bad experiences with the shop.

I guess I don't understand why you'd have the shop order you parts instead of buying it online. I seldom us a gun shop when I know I can find it less expensive online and it will ship directly to me. I avoid using the gun shop as the middle man...even when I buy firearms...I typically will order it online and have it shipped to the shop.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Woof! Sorry for the bullshit. Grices has switched prices on scopes right in front of my face even though the price was clearly marked.

Have you tried J&E Guns in Bellefonte? They usually have good prices and are a class 3 dealer.....
    Not since they opened their new store I use to go to the store by the courthouse. But I'd stop by at some gun shows. I live in Clinton County so I havent had the chance to stop at j and e and I haventered been to bobs army and navy in probably almost a year.
    I'm finally 21 and almost a real "Adult" according to the Govt

(Westmoreland County)

Good post. You have had more than one bad experience with this shop. That's a good thing to know. People in shops make mistakes. That happens. But, it's how they handle the mistake that makes the difference. Obviously this store believes they have "so many" customers that you don't matter. Well, with that philosophy, ultimately their "so many" customer base will dwindle away to the point of "hey....what happen to all of our loyal customers"?

I ran a service business for 25 years with two partners. No client was to big or to small. When we made a mistake we made up for it. OTOH, there are some people that you can never make happy. It doesn't sound like your one of those.

I have a local guy that I deal with. In fact, for two years in a row he's been voted the best local gun shop on the Tribune Review. Why? Because he's a solid guy and straight forward. Can't ask for more than that.

Dave

Hokkmike Guest

Was there for their anniversary sale. Man, were they packed with people - like the gun shows of old. And customers were spending $$$$. Lots of guns going out.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I would have complained to a higher up there.

Many of my friends are satisfied Grice's customers. I have never purchased from them. They are not much at all into AK's and their bulk ammo is not discounted enough off of the per box price.

It does seem to be the place to go for discounted little pistols.

But many people do not realize that Bob's Army Navy will price-match Grice's.

I'd like to know more about Goodman Arms sometime.

Thanks for your post.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by john12wa View Post
    . . . I use to ALWAYS be on the hunt for the best deal. Best price on ammo, Cheapest gun, cheapest suppressor, etc. Now at the ripe age of 21 I no longer do this and really only give business to 2 "local" shops. (Bobs Army & Navy in Clearfield and Goodmans Arms in Mcelhatten (Outside of Lock Haven) Which I have much good to say about both.) . . .

It appears that you have also learned the value of the concept of Total Cost of Acquisition, limiting your purchases to shops who can provide value to loyal customers, and in the case of one of those shops, is fairly close by to you.

I counted four (4) "stops" at Grices for either you and your father, or just your father through the ordeal. Add the cost of those four down-and-back trips to the $580 price of that YHM that didn't work out. That's ~ 66 miles one way, center of of town to center of town. Round it to 140 mile round trip, X 4 = 560 miles. At 20 mpg and $3.50 a gallon, that's almost another $100 in fuel, not counting wear and tear on the vehicle and tires. Add in the cost of meals and other incidentals, the wear and tear on the vehicle, and you'll have close to $800 Total Cost of Acquisition in that $580 suppressor, regardless where you bought it, because the trips to Grice are a sunk cost in the acquisition one way or another.

You avoid all that by making most of your purchases at one or mote value-added dealers, preferably close to home. Sure, gun shop road trips are fun, but driving all over hell's half acre to find the "best / cheapest deal" is too often false economy, increasing the Total Cost of Acquisition significantly above that of the purchase price and sales tax alone.

Last December an acquaintance of mine drove 72 miles one-way to buy two bricks of 22LR, saving $5.00 a brick. We calculated that at 17 mpg for his truck, he spent $25 in fuel to save $10 in ammo cost. $15 in the hole for the trip, and the $25 when added to the $45 per brick price made the Total Cost of Acquisition of the 22LR ammo (with tax) $60.20 a brick. His LGS had 22LR for $50 a brick, which would have been $53 a brick (with tax) had he purchased at the LGS on his way home from work.

I seldom go to Grice anymore; if Elk County Ammo and Arms or River Valley Surplus has what I want / need, I buy there and save time and $$$. The only time I visit other gun shops is only if business or pleasure takes me close by to those other shops. I don't make special trips anymore. Also why I buy a lot from Amazon; the Prime membership saves a lot of shipping cost, and I don't have to spend time, $$$, and wear and tear driving to find something.

Best wishes,

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; March 25th, 2015 at 09:18 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Was there for their anniversary sale. Man, were they packed with people - like the gun shows of old. And customers were spending $$$$. Lots of guns going out.
    You couldn't have paid me to go there during that fucking sale. It's assholefest and zero service. I go during the week during the day when normal people work......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

grice's is cool to go atleast once to check out as you can spend all day in there checking out all the latest and greatest. that's about it though, good luck trying to get to the scope and rifle section as they are stacked 5 deep and dealing with camo wearing hillbillys trying to shove the line foward like it's going anywhere. i can find guns online and have them shipped to my local ffl and transfer it for $20 and still be cheaper than grice becuase i got it at about the same price as they advertised and i didn't have to drive 4 hours and gas money to get what i wanted.

(Allegheny County)

I have also had a horrible experience with them. Back when the new Winchester 71 came out, they introduced it at the NRA show here in Pitt. Grice had a pre-sale in their paper for a deposit of $50 and it would save you a spot. My father called that day to save his spot, they charged his card and sent him a receipt. I called a few days later and they said they only a few spots left for their allotment.

Well 1.5 years later, the 71 finally came out and I got a call. They said they oversold their allotment and it would be another 2-6 months for anymore to come in, if they even do. I complained like no other and about 1 month later I got a call and they said they had one left. The price was more than the price advertised and agreed upon, even on the receipt. I asked why my dad hasnt been called and they stated he is automatically in the "another 6 month" pool, even though he called and reserved his spot a week before me. I declined to buy the gun at the upmarked price and I asked my dad if he wanted it and he said no I want the price on my receipt. 2 weeks later I magically got an invoice for the gun in the mail, and said if I dont buy it at the price marked, then I would not be refunded my $50. I never bought it and my dad and I have yet to see our deposits back after more than 3 years, 6 phone calls and 2 letters each asking for the $50 each back....I will never buy form them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast