Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Loaded Magazines. Legal or no?

I've tried searching for the answer but I can not find what I am looking for. If anyone can answer this I thank you.

What I'm wondering is if it is legal to have loaded magazines for a rifle of any type in a vehicle? An if so what is the proper way of doing so?

Just wondering because one day I forgot I had a loaded mag in the case I have and took it along with me in the car. At the time I did not have the rifle with me that the mag was for because I had something else with me at the time. So I'm not sure if it was legal or illegal.
    I need a better signature than this...

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Loaded Magazines. Legal or no?

PA prohibits having "firearms", rifles, and shotguns loaded in a vehicle. The definition of loaded is the following:

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    So, if you have any gun in the vehicle suitable for any of the loaded magazines - both the loaded magazine and the gun must be in separate enclosures. However, this doesn't apply to "firearms" if you have a LTCF.

If all that you have is a loaded magazine, but no gun that it works in - it doesn't have to be in a separate enclosure.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, but what about hollow points???

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Legalese is not even my second or third language. What I got from that, for my own situation, is: I'm in the car, LTCF in my wallet, not in Philly, if it matters, AR15 in my soft-side, multi-compartmented case, rifle (empty) in the interior compartment, several fully loaded mags in the exterior compartments, and ALL IS GOOD TO GO!
    Correct?

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

I already know the answer to the question but I'll ask, just what the hell are we securing the detachable mags and ammo from? Thieves, criminals, dust, x-ray vision...?

Zip Loc bags are just as "complete and secure" as any snapped or velcro'd pouch.

Another law with too much gray area.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PA prohibits having "firearms", rifles, and shotguns loaded in a vehicle. The definition of loaded is the following:

So, if you have any gun in the vehicle suitable for any of the loaded magazines - both the loaded magazine and the gun must be in separate enclosures. However, this doesn't apply to "firearms" if you have a LTCF.

If all that you have is a loaded magazine, but no gun that it works in - it doesn't have to be in a separate enclosure.
    You know somewhere out there is a cop that will make that AR mag fit in that man's 10-22

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

I already know the answer to the question but I'll ask, just what the hell are we securing the detachable mags and ammo from? Thieves, criminals, dust, x-ray vision...?

Zip Loc bags are just as "complete and secure" as any snapped or velcro'd pouch. AGREED!

Another law with too much gray area.Here let me fix this by changing it to, "Another law that needs to be rescinded because it violates the Constitution!
    My remarks in red.

(Berks County)

So, loaded magazine in a car with a rifle, legal?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    So, loaded magazine in a car with a rifle, legal?
    Depends on how you define "with".

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Okay, AR in it's case, magazines in my shooting bag, loaded.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast