Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Safety first.

(Monroe County)

Default Safety first.

This is why we must always be vigilant about range safety.

http://youtu.be/HUzTIKAbI3k

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Safety first.

Holy shit!
    How does no body notice that?
    I wonder what happened next?

Good God man.....

(Montgomery County)

That was really inexcusable. It amazed me.

But today I had an incident at an indoor range. When a cease fire was called, I cleared and put my gun down. I took off my ear protection and stepped back from the baffle separating me from the shooter on the left. Then he fired a shot downrange from his .40, and now my left ear is really impaired. Hopefully it is not permanent because I can barely hear properly with it. I hear background noises like fans, radios, tires on the road louder than the voice of person just off to my left. He was banned from the range. Unfortunately that does little for my hearing.

Anyone ever had this kind of hearing outcome? What was the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

But today I had an incident at an indoor range. When a cease fire was called, I cleared and put my gun down. I took off my ear protection and stepped back from the baffle separating me from the shooter on the left. Then he fired a shot downrange from his .40, and now my left ear is really impaired. Hopefully it is not permanent because I can barely hear properly with it. I hear background noises like fans, radios, tires on the road louder than the voice of person just off to my left. He was banned from the range. Unfortunately that does little for my hearing.

I was attending a training. Found myself prone with an M4 rifle in line with about fifteen other guys. Just as the command to fire the next string was given, I realized that my left plug was dangling next to my face. I had some ringing in that ear for a number of days. It eventually went away. Mine was direct rifle fire from a 14.5 inch barrel, but then again, I was outside.

(Berks County)

How does that even happen?

(Washington County)

was going back and forth shooting suppressed 45 and un suppressed gun indoors. took one shot without ears on with the wrong gun. Wasnt THAT bad but deff ached for an hour even tho earing returned after 30seconds of high pitched whine. gun in question was a 1911. Shot my ruger 22/45 with a comp on the end yesterday purposefully without ears just to see how loud it was and i have to say it was as bad as the 1911 indoors. cant even imagine what my 357 or 44mag would sound like.

I now practice shooting w no ears on using the shoulder & hand to ear style occasionally. if you have the ability to take a shot indoors while providing some ear pro for that first shot youll have an entire sense that anyone else in the room wont have for the next few seconds of combat.
    Last edited by Dont4get2doubletap; March 23rd, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

(Tioga County)

This incident is one reason why I am not a fan of the Attack of the Mongolian Cardboard Horde stages with a bazillion targets, orange walls, solid walls and all the rest. Too much video gamey bullshit and too hard to thoroughly keep safe by all involved because the line of sight is so limited. It's introducing something similar to a shoot house concept and training that people that do that for real endure days of classroom and practice before even throwing Simunition around, much less real ammunition in a properly built shoot house. I'm also not a fan of the right off the mark perpendicular targets as it is way too easy to break 180 and while a shooter like this is wildly swinging around it's too easy for them to trip or loose balance too close to the line. It's an unnecessary risk that adds nothing of value to the stage.

Also I think it's important that the shooters always back up the RO or SO. While the RO/SO might be the manager and safety overseer of the stage and the one who has the ultimate responsibility to ensure safety and to commence firing, the shooters also need to concisely communicate with one another and ultimately if need be the RO/SO to ensure the stages are clear and ready, especially those with limited sightlines.

Basically there is a whole lot of head up their assery here.

1. The RO is asleep at the wheel. He is staring straight ahead and you can clearly see the numpty through the orange wall for several seconds before the RO spots him.
    2. The shooter is completely oblivious with zero situational awareness and again swings his firearm right past the numpty and completely misses it. Like the famous worst tactical video of all time showed, he's getting "targets on rounds" and is out to lunch.
    3. The numpty brass picker uper really has his head totally up his ass and WTF is he doing. How he didn't end up looking like a cheesegrater is his lucky day.

Personally I would throw DQ all 3 idiots, flog them with a rubber hose and ban them permanently from the club.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I never take my "ears" off in such an environment. If you have not tried them get some Howard Leight or Peltor electronic ear muffs. These have a microphone that shuts off over 80 db and you can adjust the volume as well. It allows you to have a conversation with someone without taking your hearing protection off. If I am shooting a large caliber rifle often I will back them up with in ear plugs.

Hopefully since the noise wasn't sustained for a period of time you will not have any long lasting damage.

(Allegheny County)

Best comment on the video.... "Remind me never to wear a khaki shirt to the range". WOW!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast