Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default S&W M&P Pro Series CORE 9mm

Hey All,
    Been looking at this gun for quite some time now.

I mainly want it for my 9mm suppressor I have coming and like the gun overall. I do not do any competition shooting and I do have a shield and love it.

I was just curious which model to go with the 5" barrel or the 4.25" barrel? The main purpose of this gun would be for my suppressor and just for fun shooting. Lot of people are telling me the 4.25" but I'm really not sure.

I found one dealer that has the 5" instock online and the 4.25" seems to be instock at a lot of places. I'm not really sure which length to go with. None of the LGS have these instock for me to look at. The silencer I have coming is the AAC Ti-Rant 9.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated! Also any suggestions on where to get a suppressor barrel from would be awesome too. I did look at KKM but that is all I have looked at so far. Storm Lake I cannot find instock anywhere.

(Chester County)

Default Re: S&W M&P Pro Series CORE 9mm

If you don't plan on carrying, go with the 5". No reason not to. Extra sight radius might help you
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Cumberland County)

I've had a Glock with a milled slide/RMR for about a year now. I'd say you should get the 4.25" barrel if you're planning on using a red dot on the pistol. I say this because 1)when using a red dot you don't benefit from the extended sight radius of the longer slide, 2)if you're worried about increased velocity of the extended barrel you can still use a 5" extended barrel with the 4.25" slide, 3)you have the shorter 4.25" slide which is better for CC if you want to use it for that.

(Union County)

Thank you both for the replies. I do plan on getting a red dot at some point for it probably later this year. I contacted a LGS to see what ones he could get in for me. Hopefully hear back today. I know the 5" is hard to find though.

(Berks County)

Would the 5inch burn the powder more complete and put less dirt in the suppressor? I don't have a can but I've read some on it and dirt seems like it can become an issue.

(Berks County)

No idea about powder burn times. I'm not a reloader.

But I just picked up the m&p 9 core 5" a month ago. It's pretty awesome. This is my second m&p, the first being a full size 45 FDE two tone that i sold (the triggers on newer models are much better for me.) I love the 5" barrel, a hold over from my affinity with 1911s. Barrel length is all personal preference. There are minor advantages and disadvantages to each, but at 6', 180lbs I carry the 5" all day, just like my full size 1911s. All depends on what you like.

I will say, the long slide is a bit harder to find holsters for, especially if you're a lefty like me. I've settle on, for now, a comptac flatline, because wait times for blade tech was pushing 6 weeks. After about 350 rounds, no complaints! Good luck!
    Last edited by tgriffit; May 7th, 2015 at 10:01 PM.