Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Lefever Shotgun by Ithaca Arms Circa 1911-Anyone Familiar?

My father in law passed at the end of last year and my wife has asked me to look at his gun collection to determine its' value. I'm looking at a double barrel Lefever shotgun that was made by Ithaca Arms in New York in 1911. Is there anyone here familiar with this shotgun? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Lefever Shotgun by Ithaca Arms Circa 1911-Anyone Familiar?

The 1911 date confuses me as Ithaca purchased Lefever in 1916. I will assume that the 1911 date is a patent date. There should be a model on the shotgun somewhere, most likely a Nitro Special. Ithaca did continue making Lefever Sidelocks till about 1919, These are hard to find and valuable especially in the higher grades. In 1921 Ithaca started production of the Nitro Special which was a boxlock, a very popular gun it was made until 1948 then dropped from the line.
    In order to get some idea of value, we need to know the model, grade, guage, and condition of the shotgun.

(Berks County)

The Ithaca Lefever Nitro Specials were designed by Ithaca. The are made to use smokeless powder loads. They were made till around WWII.
    I had a low end Nitro Special 12 Ga several years ago, and it was a fine gun in the field, even if not worth a fortune to a collecter.
    Mine was very easy to handle and point, and it was a pleasure just to carry it.
    There were a lot of them in PA for some reason, but not too many for sale, ever.
    You won't find anything close to it today without spending a whole lot of money.
    Enjoy it - it's a classic American shotgun.
    mark

(Chester County)

Post as much detail as you can including pictures and we will try to help you out. Get good close ups of the screws,lever,frame to barrel fit.
    These are fairly common guns and should not be confused with true Dan Lefever guns which are much more valuable.
    The small gauges in this gun -particullary the .410 are valuable

(Montgomery County)

Default Here you go guys!

First of all, I'd like to thank each and all of you for your kind offers to help. I've taken several pics for you. They didn't come out real well because the camera was set to Macro to get close-ups of some of the detail you asked for. Even though the photo with the serial no is a bit blurry, you can still see the numbers. I got the "Date" info from a website on the Ithaca Arms Co. which listed the manufacturing date based on the serial numbers. I just googled the name and found it. Sorry, but I am not sure what guage this shotgun is. I own handguns but not a single rifle of shotgun (as of yet). I have found some other info but I'd like to hear your thoughts first. Thanks a bunch guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Here's one more photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

take the barrels off and look at the markings for the gauge

(Chester County)

my reference says was made in 1926. measure barrel length and write don all the markings on the water table for more specific ID. It looks to be a used but not abused shotgun from one americas most prolific maker of doubles.
    I would not shoot heavy loads through this gun ,try to keep to low pressure loads if possible. I am not sure but this might be a short chamber gun made before they went to the standard 2 3/4". The length will depend on the gauge 2 1/2, 2 9/16, 2 5/8. you can buy shells from RST. Give them a call they are up by the New york border or ask on the lefever forum!
    Last edited by bt-99; July 20th, 2008 at 07:38 AM.

(Northampton County)

I agree on the 1926 date, right on. Blue book has 60% 12 ga. at $450.00, which is probably right for this gun. It all depends on the gauge, 16 ga. $650.00, 20 ga. 875.00, .410 ga. $2450.00.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the input guys. I have no intention of firing this weapon. My father in law made it clear to me that he did not intend for me to have any of his guns. There are several more (that I'll be asking for help with) but this is the only one I have in my posession right now. I am trying to help my mother in law (she's a sweetheart) determine their value as she is interested in selling some or all of them (I don't ask). Anyway, I'll have to look up online how to remove the barrels and when I do, I'll let you all know what I've found. Thanks again all, you guys are great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast