Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Walther P99 opinions.

About to make a move on a Walther P99. I tried my friends P30 V3 and loved it however I can't drop $900 on the HK at this time. The P99 can be had for about $530. Opinions? Thx

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Walther P99 opinions.

Good guns. Very ergonomic. Have you considered the PPQM2? It's newer, and the same price.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Jefferson County)

I had a P99QA that I loved dearly, and I'm a revolver gun. It by far was the most accurate semi-auto that I was capable of firing.

The only thing I hated about it was that spare magazines were absolutely expensive(at the time). The only ones on the market were the OEM's(MecGar) and ProMag(pieces of shit). The OEM's were $50 each then.

However, since Walther has licensed out the design to 3-4 companies more OEM quality mags are available at lower prices. Just stay the hell away from ProMag. ...advertised for 15rds, can only get 13 or 14 in, fighting the last 2. And quite often the rounds would bind up. ...you would have to tap the mag on something hard like soldiers do to synchronize the column to the back of the mag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

I have looked at the PPQ. And it got great reviews just like the P99. But I like the DA/SA with the decocker feature and also the mag release "paddle" which most guys say it is strange but when you get use to it they liked it. Seems both triggers are best of class on the PPQ and P99 and people in reviews compared them to the Sig triggers with super short reset. However thanks for the advice. I will go back and look over the PPQ again. My reason for this purchase was: Higher round cap than my current 9mm carry which is a shield 8+1. Longer barrel 4'. But a good trigger with DA/SA is a must because 80% of the time I carry my 1911 in 45 and that is also my main range gun. Any other pistols I should check out just post them here. thx, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Good guns. Very ergonomic. Have you considered the PPQM2? It's newer, and the same price.
    Last edited by poconojoe; March 18th, 2015 at 03:43 PM.

(Northampton County)

PPQ M1 has paddle release.
    Just saying.

(Philadelphia County)

Good guns. Very accurate, has second strike capability if that's your thing. There is a decocker button on the slide to help with disassembly so you don't have to pull the trigger or fiddle with a small bar like the M&P. They're light, a little compact, and take 15 round magazines. Also they have a James Bond connection for a bit of extra cool factor.

(Montgomery County)

I have the "trifecta", 9mm and 0.40 in the P99 and 0.45 in the SW 99 (German frame, S&W slide). Both of the P99 are German guns and the 0.40 is one of the most accurate semis I own. They are all first generation with the paddle mag release and the decocker on the top of the slide. No problem obtaining mags in the time that I purchased them (CDNN used to have good sales on the original Walther and then SW mags). S&W decided to stop working with Walther as they would have cannibalized their M&P line. Dave_n

(Monroe County)

I almost bought a P99 AS last year. The one concern I had (being unable to shoot one beforehand), was upon completion of a slide lock reload the trigger goes into a 3rd AS(?) mode that is double action length, but, a light (pistol is already cocked) pull. I just didn't know if I could get used to that.

It might not be a big deal for most, but, I enjoy shooting IDPA and all reloads are from slide lock and I suck enough as it is.
    Last edited by Urban_Redneck; March 20th, 2015 at 07:26 AM.

(Chester County)

My 1st gen P99 is my favorite Semi although I treat it more like a collectible at this point in it's life.

Some complain about the anti-stress trigger or the decocker but like others have said, if you don't mind all the nuances of this gun then it may be the right one for you. Ergonomics are absolutely incredible.

Good luck!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Monroe County)

Thx. I am going to make a move on a P99 AS 9mm. I just can't see spending $900on my first choice which was a HK P30 V3. I have spent $1,300 and $900 on two other pistols. However, spending that dollar amount for a plastic gun with an okay trigger(according to ALL reviews) , no night sights, I just can't justify. There was one review where the guy had a trigger job that was $150 and that made everything perfect. So spend $1,050 on the P30, not happening. The Walther P99 get mostly great reviews and most love the trigger's short reset.

Quote Originally Posted by pacpiper View Post
    My 1st gen P99 is my favorite Semi although I treat it more like a collectible at this point in it's life.

Some complain about the anti-stress trigger or the decocker but like others have said, if you don't mind all the nuances of this gun then it may be the right one for you. Ergonomics are absolutely incredible.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast