Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on my Beretta 92

I've got a Beretta 92FS Compact Inox that I really love. I've got a few hundred rounds through it, all flawless. It shoots where I point it, and its aesthetics are, in my opinion, akin to an Italian V-12 sports car.

That said, I've been reading quite a bit about the 92 series pistols. Some things came up about durability. I know that the locking block can crack at around 20,000 rounds. I'm not too worried about that one. The worry that I have is the trigger return spring, which I've read will only last for around 5,000 trigger pulls.

Has anyone heard about this 'weakness' of the Beretta 92 series? Should I be concerned about keeping and carrying this gun for defending my family? I'd hate for the trigger to suddenly take a dump if/when I'd need the gun.

Compared with other comparable brands (SIG, HK, Glock), would this model have similar long term dependability?

Thanks. (Here's a pic).
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Elk County)

Default Re: Question on my Beretta 92

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post

That said, I've been reading quite a bit about the 92 series pistols. Some things came up about durability. I know that the locking block can crack at around 20,000 rounds. I'm not too worried about that one. The worry that I have is the trigger return spring, which I've read will only last for around 5,000 trigger pulls.

Has anyone heard about this 'weakness' of the Beretta 92 series?
    Yes.

Should I be concerned about keeping and carrying this gun for defending my family?
    No. Fuggedaboudit.

Compared with other comparable brands (SIG, HK, Glock), would this model have similar long term dependability?
    Yes.

The locking block "failure" issue is rooted in a very few M9 pistols failing after shooting what amounts to +P+ ammo for extended periods, and it has been parroted by "fast operator" gun writers and bloggers ever since. For the casual shooter such as you and I, not a problem.

The trigger return spring is IMO another bunch of "fast operator" gun writer / blogger bullsch!+, just as the oft-told maxim that 1911 ultra compact recoil springs need to be replaced after 3000 rds. My SIG UC didn't get the memo; it is just past 4200 rds and climbing, nary a blip. I own four 92s and two 96s and they are every bit as reliable as their competition, IMO and experience.

There's simply too much opinionated bullsch!+ on the Interwebs, including my response to your post!

Seriously, fuggedaboudit.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Beaver County)

Agreed. I have two 92fs we've shot for years with no issues. Unless you are shooting ammo you shouldn't (don't do that) or TRYING to break the thing, it will be fine. The sky isn't falling.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Yes.

No. Fuggedaboudit.

Yes.

The locking block "failure" issue is rooted in a very few M9 pistols failing after shooting what amounts to +P+ ammo for extended periods, and it has been parroted by "fast operator" gun writers and bloggers ever since. For the casual shooter such as you and I, not a problem.

The trigger return spring is IMO another bunch of "fast operator" gun writer / blogger bullsch!+, just as the oft-told maxim that 1911 ultra compact recoil springs need to be replaced after 3000 rds. My SIG UC didn't get the memo; it is just past 4200 rds and climbing, nary a blip. I own four 92s and two 96s and they are every bit as reliable as their competition, IMO and experience.

There's simply too much opinionated bullsch!+ on the Interwebs, including my response to your post!

Seriously, fuggedaboudit.

Noah
    Great post, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Beretta. Sounds like you do some relatively higher volume of shooting, and your guns are holding up just fine, including your numerous Berettas.

I know the M9 series gets a lot of flak, but that seems mostly from people who just do not like the 9mm round, served in the military and got stuck with old and poorly maintained M9's, or who are apt to just repeat memes from the 'high speed operators'.

I personally love this cut-down version of the M9. Just slightly bigger than a G19, but has style and history.

You should get rid of it immediately and find another weapon. PM sent!

(Bucks County)

My 92FS is north of 10K rounds in the past few years with nary an issue, FWIW.
    It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it is hilarious.

Thanks for the feedback.

sounds like the 92 series will keep going without problems for a really long time. I'll be sure to shoot standard pressure factory ammo.

Whats up with word nary in this thread? Is it the word of the day or something?

(Bucks County)

while i was ordering parts for my 92 I seen this. it seems their was a problem..I bought 1 didn't get a chance to put it in yet

1st Paragraph from wolfs website

This product was developed at the request of the then INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service), which was largest federal law enforcement agency in the country, to solve the problem of trigger spring breakage in their duty weapons. After more than a year of development and tens of thousands of rounds of punishing testing by INS and Wolff Gunsprings, we are pleased top make this available to everyone. This product is a must for law enforcement as well as the serious shooter.

It's only 20bucks
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I know the M9 series gets a lot of flak, but that seems mostly from people who just do not like the 9mm round, served in the military and got stuck with old and poorly maintained M9's, .
    TRUTH!!

I used to read the message traffic about needing replacement but 99% of the ones carried in the navy for security get no PMS what so ever. I seen a more then a few get issued every day with no lube and bad rust. Go figure the one day they are shot the locking block cracked.

I carry a 92F not F/S that a police turn in. It has to have over 10k through it and that's just what I did. It has never failed.

Put a drop of lube on the pivot and slide of the bock and it will be fine. As for the spring, Get the Wolf if your really worried they are great springs. I put the full spring kit in my 92 F/S I shoot bullseye. It's sweet.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast