Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's if Worth

(Cumberland County)

Default What's if Worth

So I asked another member here already and got his answer which I think is solid - but wanted to throw it out there. Guy I know has a S&W pre 27 that I really like. He got it from a guy that came into his shop and wanted to sell it. He believes it was re-done at some point, although I am hard pressed to see that I see prices all over the boards for these. For sake of argument, let's say it is re-finished so no real collector value. Thoughts on what it's worth?

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What's if Worth

I have no clue on the value, but my personal thoughts are - if you can get it for under 4 bills, take it.

And since it is something that I want, let me get this in before you buy it(since we know you will) - I hate you... lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Cruzans, The Smith & Wesson Model 27 is a great shooting revolver and are very well built.

From the pictures you provided, I can safely say it has been refinished and some sort of work done to the front sight(See the two pins)

The reason I'm convinced it's been refinished is that Smith & Wesson revolvers had sharp edges and if you look at your gun they're a bit rounded.

The cylinder flutes show over buffing from front to back.

The under-lug is rounded especially at the front.

Finally, the side plates on Smith & Wesson revolvers have super close tolerances with sharp crisp edges and the gun in the pictures shows a side plate with rounded edges.

Now, if the gun has good lockup on all of the cylinders and the trigger doesn't drop if you push it when it's in single action I'd purchase it foe $375.

Let us know how you make out.

Kobsw.
    Last edited by kobsw; March 15th, 2015 at 08:49 PM.

(Elk County)

I agree with "kobsw" above; especially w.r.t. the sideplate being over-buffed. On a S&W of that vintage, the joint line between the sideplate and the frame should be almost undetectable, and in the photo it looks like the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg.

The grips are recent production S&W.

The two pins holding the FSB to the barrel are original to some early S&W pre-Model 27s.

If it carries up and latches tight on all six cylinders, it's a good shooter, and IMO would be a fair buy at ~$450 to $550, given that an unmolested original with correct grips would be ~$1200 - $1400.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys! The seller is a friend and he was up front right off the bat saying it was refinished and has new S&W grips on it. I just liked the look and feel of the gun and it locks up super tight. He wants right around $400 so I said I would be in to see him and take it. I see many of these going for $1,000and up if original - so for a tight shooter, don't think I can loose at $400.
    And, he has a mint model 28 Highway Patrolman, all original with box, tools, and original paperwork too. Will give both to me for a grand - decisions, decisions.
    And Knight, being told you hate me again means I'm on the right track
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Thanks guys! The seller is a friend and he was up front right off the bat saying it was refinished and has new S&W grips on it. I just liked the look and feel of the gun and it locks up super tight. He wants right around $400 so I said I would be in to see him and take it. I see many of these going for $1,000and up if original - so for a tight shooter, don't think I can loose at $400.
    And, he has a mint model 28 Highway Patrolman, all original with box, tools, and original paperwork too. Will give both to me for a grand - decisions, decisions.
    And Knight, being told you hate me again means I'm on the right track
    A 27 and a 28 for 10 Ben's?

You'd be a fool to pass that up.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Looks like a nice refinish. $450-$500 tops, IMO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

Damn all you enablers...... I told him I'd take both. Now off to the Gunshow Saturday - expensive week, might have to take the wife out soon
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lehigh County)

Cool Re: What's if Worth

We got to enable somebody!! Nice pair you are adding to the herd!

(Cumberland County)

Here's a bad picture of the 28 highway patrolman. I noticed that although pretty much mint, there is a small chip at the bottom of the grip - I smell $900 for the pair Has factory installed target grips that is also marked on the original box. I'll post some better pics when I pick them up later in the week.

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast