Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: bolt/single shot ar15

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Buy one of the old Vulcan/Hesse rifles. All they made were single shot ARs.
    Yeah, but that one shot is very expensive.

(Berks County)

I know this is an old thread but I have been thinking about building an AR-15 for hunting deer in PA and I may have found something worth a look.

As you know, in general, we're not allowed to use a semi for big game like deer, bear, elk, etc. They only recently passed the law to allow for using something like a Ruger 10/22 for small game... I'm looking at building a single-shot AR-15 with a lower that doesn't have a magwell. In theory, that should work fine... I could drop a 6.5 Grendel on it and use it for deer without issue. Another option, which I just recently found, would be to change the bolt-catch so that you have to manually release the bolt after every shot - much like a pump action or bolt action rifle.

Does anyone see any issues with either of those options? In my mind, the weapons are modded in such a way that they are not easily converted while afield. Okay, yes, you could pull two pins and throw another lower under your upper half but then you'd have to carry the second lower out there with you. But, the same could be said with a break action rifle; I could just carry a second rifle! The point is: if someone wants to break the law, they'll find a way.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

(Allegheny County)

Go with this and remove the gas system on your upper. Turns the AR15 semi into a single shot bolt gun.

https://www.safetyharborfirearms.com...gle-shot-lower

or add their upper and you should be good to go.

https://www.safetyharborfirearms.com...ts/shtf-uppers

However, many people say that it's still up to the WCO to decide if you are in compliance regardless of what you can prove in the field.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I have been thinking about building an AR-15 for hunting deer in PA and I may have found something worth a look.

As you know, in general, we're not allowed to use a semi for big game like deer, bear, elk, etc. They only recently passed the law to allow for using something like a Ruger 10/22 for small game... I'm looking at building a single-shot AR-15 with a lower that doesn't have a magwell. In theory, that should work fine... I could drop a 6.5 Grendel on it and use it for deer without issue. Another option, which I just recently found, would be to change the bolt-catch so that you have to manually release the bolt after every shot - much like a pump action or bolt action rifle.

Does anyone see any issues with either of those options? In my mind, the weapons are modded in such a way that they are not easily converted while afield. Okay, yes, you could pull two pins and throw another lower under your upper half but then you'd have to carry the second lower out there with you. But, the same could be said with a break action rifle; I could just carry a second rifle! The point is: if someone wants to break the law, they'll find a way.
    Yes, the single-shot lower receiver was in one of my links but mine was an 80%-er. With their upper, being bolt action, does the bolt still slide back into the stock, allowing the buffer/spring to absorb recoil?

Oh, and, any officer can be a jackass if they choose to be one. However, if you've not broken any laws, that should shake out in the end, right? After all, if ignorance of the law doesn't excuse one from breaking it, the same should hold true for the officer.
    Last edited by RKillcrazy; October 24th, 2018 at 05:17 PM.

(Delaware County)

After all, if ignorance of the law doesn't excuse one from breaking it, the same should hold true for the officer.
    You new here?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    You new here?
    HA! Hey, it costs nothing to dream, right!?

(Butler County)

I bought one of these for my 300blk. It is basically too short to have the gas have any effect on the bcg. It's straight pull and the buffer spring sends it forward.

http://www.jlbillet.com/kalikey

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post
    I bought one of these for my 300blk. It is basically too short to have the gas have any effect on the bcg. It's straight pull and the buffer spring sends it forward.

http://www.jlbillet.com/kalikey
    Do you hunt in PA with it in that configuration?

(Allegheny County)

Do you hunt in PA with it in that configuration?
    I don't think the Kalikey would be acceptable in PA for modifying a AR to single shot. IIRC, the rule says something about not being modifiable in the field. The Kalikey can be swapped out for a regular BCG/CH in a few seconds in the field.

A Kalikey coupled with a single shot lower may meet the criteria.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

The "rule" does not say anything about being able to return to semiauto function in the field. It also does not address the subject of manual action being "permanent".
    I've hunted with an fal for the last 3 or 4 years. The only modification is a gas cylinder I made in the shop that prohibits semiauto function. It get locked in place with a key that stays home while I'm hunting.

Most of the fish cops don't have any idea what the actual statute says. You will be at the mercy of whomever stops you. Given the Fudd attitude of most of the conservation force it is very likely you will receive a summons. If you get in front of a fair minded magistrate (or better yet a real judge) the matter should be dismissed.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast