Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default TIME TO FESS' UP

I started a thread back in November, 'I can't say ouch'

Look at pic below (my head). The reason I am revisiting this is to demonstrate a reason 'why this should have never happened'. My scope dinged me not once , but twice on a firearm that was part of me.

In the 3 other pics is what contributed to my problem. These parts were not the problem, they contributed, but I caused it.

In my narrative I said "I was uncomfortable"----This dictated a restart before firing, to answer WHY !!! On my Parker Hale .270, the California Rolled Cheek Rest was the best fitting rifle I have ever owned---Not that day--That is your clue.

See if you can assemble the parts that contributed to me getting dinged, with a reason. This lack of focus still bothers me today---The injury is long gone.

Hopefully someone will learn from this and 2x or 3x check, before sending one downrange. What happened to me is UNACCEPTABLE, period.

fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: TIME TO FESS' UP

Forgot to loc-tite the scope screws, didn't you? That, and you were using a cheapie set of scope mounts.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: TIME TO FESS' UP

ManX:

They are Weaver's that go back 30 /40years. I have used them hard for years.

Clue 2-----Concentrate on Ring Bases.

fossil

(Lancaster County)

Looks like the one base is missing the piece under the nut that locks it down?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    ManX:

They are Weaver's that go back 30 /40years. I have used them hard for years.

Clue 2-----Concentrate on Ring Bases.

fossil
    I'm with Manxdriver, your rings are AFOSSIL. I never did like Weaver rings, all my rigs sport Talley. RemSPS sees the problem, your nuts were loose.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by RemSPS View Post
    Looks like the one base is missing the piece under the nut that locks it down?
    RemSps was close and a good catch, but not the end result.

If you look closely I have 2 sets of ring bases. Low and medium.

I mismatched a medium on the front, with a low on the rear of my .270. This created a cant-----Scope lower in the back and higher in the front.

"I was uncomfortable"---The scope was shadowing / blacking out. More than enough was going on to stop and check 'What's goin' on'----A dynamic, if that is the right word, caused me to slide down the cheek rest and move forward toward the eye relief. Thereby getting nailed with the top back edge of the scope. The ring bases were #5 & #7 in the pictures. Not much of a difference in thickness, but enough.

When I got home I noticed this-----Still bleeding, I was so PO'D I exchanged the front for a low, went right back to the benchrest, pulled the bolt, boresighted, adjusted scope and shot 2 rounds, adjusted up for 1 more shot------------Close enough (see pic)-----Went home and still PO'D

It should have never happened. I am lucky that it did not build a flinch into me. That was a really bad day.
    fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; March 14th, 2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add

(Berks County)

Why are you moving scope around? I mount a scope and hats where it stays.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Why are you moving scope around? I mount a scope and hats where it stays.
    I admit that I am a scope mover arounder. Why ????? Time for a change ???

I kinda' believe I get bored with the crosshairs. Is it a good reason ??? Probably not, but it is a reason.

Here is a good case in point. My new love the H&R .204 Ruger has had 5 scopes riding on top of it, 2 of them have been of top a few times.

The only other reason I can think of (just an analogy)----If we were all the same it would be a boring world.

fossil

(Carbon County)

I saw somebody do that to his head with "See through" mounts on his .35 marlin. He said he never really checked to see if his sights were on or not. The result was a ring cut in his head(The older scopes had no rubber at the eyepiece). I may have a set of "Tip-Off" bases/mounts if you like to move scopes around. That way if you get a right black eye, you can tip the scope over and get a matching left eye. Sorry, I could not resist that.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I saw somebody do that to his head with "See through" mounts on his .35 marlin. He said he never really checked to see if his sights were on or not. The result was a ring cut in his head(The older scopes had no rubber at the eyepiece). I may have a set of "Tip-Off" bases/mounts if you like to move scopes around. That way if you get a right black eye, you can tip the scope over and get a matching left eye. Sorry, I could not resist that.
    Gunplummer
    That's good----I am far from thinned skin. That is a reason I enjoy these Forums.

As I sit here kinda' chuckling, I have to go back and recreate my screw up. One thing (this compounds what happened) I vaguely recall saying to myself, "SELF, why is your bolt handle soooooo close to the eye relief" as I was jacking one into the chamber, on my first ding. To qualify recreate, I am not putting a live one in there and pulling the trigger again.

Maybe there was what I call another 'dynamic' in play, which really shows how badly I screwed the pooch.
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; March 15th, 2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: qualifier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast