Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default LPRGC - Membership, talk to me...

I see a lot of threads mention LPRGC. They're definitely the closest game in town to my new home (Collegeville/Worcester); so I'm seriously considering joining.

I've got a few questions tho, so perhaps some members can shed a little light on a prospective member. I've poked around the club webpage, but sometimes I get a better perspective from actual members as opposed to the website which obviously puts it's best foot forward.

Work Party. What is it, what's involved?
    I assume it's just range cleanup, but maybe there's more to it, or maybe It's not range cleanup at all. (If it's range cleanup, considering the rules make members clean after themselves, what's left to clean up that takes 4 hours?)

Meetings. How long are they? What's the topics of discussion? Are folks happy to be there, or are they reminiscent of begrudging churchgoers on Superbowl Sunday?

Crowds. Are the ranges packed with people? I know, weekdays are emptier than weekends, but for the typical M-F 8-5 worker, who only has evenings and weekends available; what's that look like?

Indoor Range. I see you need to qualify for the indoor range. What's involved in that? How hard is the qualification? Why the need for qualifying for the range?(What's the rationale behind the requirement?)

NFA? I don't have any NFA at the moment, but somewhere down the road, I'll be investing in Suppressors, SBR's and eventually F/A. Just wondering which (If any) might be allowed.

Anything else I might need to be aware of. I'm looking for all the good and bad, I'd just like to get as much info/input before taking the plunge.

Thanks.
    Fidelis ad Mortem

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: LPRGC - Membership, talk to me...

Work party: usually range clean-ups, but may involve other tasks needed, weather may be a factor with it.

Meetings: about an hour or two; depends on what is scheduled for discussion. Usually low-key, but like anything else, rarely gets a bit "heated".

Indoor range: qualification is to make sure everything is done in a safe manner. Watch a video (about 15 minutes), then they take you inside the range and explain the setup and procedures, then 10 shots at ten yards for the card. Primary focus is about SAFETY, not necessarily how accurate you are, although accuracy is important. Qualification with caliber nets you that caliber and below; i.e. 45 nets you 45, 40, 9, and anything below 45 non-magnum. If you qualify 9 and wish to move up caliber size, you have to requalify on the new caliber. Not something I'm particularly fond of, but that's the rules. You can qualify .22 LR rifle indoors, but requires separate qualification. Action qualification required for firing from holster and move while shooting; good luck getting this; it's rather difficult to get. You're only allowed to shoot behind a bench with regular qualification, the bench can be moved for distances; that is explained in the video.

NFA items: full-auto not allowed, but SBR's and suppressors are welcome. Rifle range qualification required, but not caliber-specific like the indoor range. Ten shots on paper at one hundred yards (depending on caliber, .22 might be shorter, but I'm not sure) nets you rifle range qualification on your card; one time is all that's required. You will be only allowed to shoot from the bench; exceptions for shotguns (read rules); action qualification required for standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone shooting.

Hopefully this answers your questions about LPRGC. You can always go to the website www.lprgc.org for rules, ranges, events, etc. I've heard that it can be a bit cliquish, to a small extent it's true, but I've found that most everyone is pretty friendly and I have a good time every time I'm out at the rifle range. Most people are willing to help you out with something if you ask. I think one of the biggest downsides to joining is the cost; $150 one-time fee, $150 per year membership, no friends or family for the first six months, two guests for $50 per year after that timeframe, junior membership is $15 per year (that's reasonable), these costs add up and does make people balk at joining. They are in the process of upgrading the indoor range, and recent upgrades have been made to some of the other ranges as well; this may explain a bit why the costs are high.

But I know that you can get your money's worth from there, they do offer free pistol clinics every month (can't remember which day that was, but it's listed on the website), plus they also offer courses and have events there constantly to participate in, so it's all about how much and often you want to go for the value. That's about all I can think about right at this moment, so I hope that helps you out!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: LPRGC - Membership, talk to me...

Almost forgot:

Crowds: they do have lots of events going on, so certain ranges may be closed on certain days at times. Always check the events calendar on the website before you leave. First Saturday of the month is rifle range qualification, bonus is they'll help you sight in a new sight or scope if you desire. 25-yard outdoor range gets tied up frequently with IDPA matches and the like, again check the calendar. Pistol clinic on the indoor range does get crowded, the earlier you show up, the better. Ranges do tend to get a bit crowded on the weekends, but that's like every range out there; most people are off weekends as well. If I show up and there isn't a lane available on the range I'd like to use, I just usually chat with others around until one opens up. I figure I'm free from the wife and kiddies, might as well make the most of it.