Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default S&W 915 dis assembly question

I just got a LNIB S&W 915, and I have an idiot questions on field stripping.

When I field strip the pistol, as the slide comes forward (after removing the slide-stop), the hammer falls with a loud 'SMACK', contacting part of the (alloy) frame. This can't be good for the frame. I looked with a flashlight at the part of the frame that the hammer contacts with the slide removed, and it didn't look cracked.

Can anybody tell me if I'm doing something wrong here? I'm not pulling the trigger. Should I do something to prevent the hammer hitting the alloy frame?

Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: S&W 915 dis assembly question

Yes, lower the hammer first. I'm not posting every step, you know how to clear a gun.

It disassembles much like a 1911. Are you decocking it before you attempt to take the slide lock out? It is possible you're pulling the slide too far back so the sear engages the hammer before you align the take down lever with the TDL slot on the slide.

Be sure it is decocked (mag out and cleared, first, of course).

Pull slide back only far enough to align take down lever/slide stop and take down notch on slide and remove lever.

Slide the slide off, slowly. The hammer should not have locked back.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Okay, these post do help. I have 1911's, and I haven't had any problems with those (except a faint idiot mark on my Colt).

I think I'm pulling the slide to far back to get the slide-stop out, which is causing the hammer to cock.

I know it's bad ju-ju to pull the trigger on a field stripped pistol, and when I heard the hard smack as the hammer fell onto the frame, I flipped out and knew it shouldn't do that.

thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Okay, these post do help. I have 1911's, and I haven't had any problems with those (except a faint idiot mark on my Colt).

I think I'm pulling the slide to far back to get the slide-stop out, which is causing the hammer to cock.

I know it's bad ju-ju to pull the trigger on a field stripped pistol, and when I heard the hard smack as the hammer fell onto the frame, I flipped out and knew it shouldn't do that.

thanks for the info.
    I will tell you I cock my 1911's to disassemble them 'cause I don't use a BB tool....only my fingernail. Once I get the slide off, I simply walk the hammer to decock. I don't recommend anyone do this, but it is easier not having the hammer spring to contend with along with the recoil spring. I honestly can't remember if the 915 will do this, but you could try it and be sure to remove the slide slowly enough that the hammer doesn't fall on the frame...just for piece of mind in the event you fully cock it when you disassemble. You also have to be sure you do not accidentally pull the trigger before getting to the 'walk the hammer to decock'.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

The 915 will decock itself as the slide is being moved forward off the frame as the decock lever in the frame is depressed when moving the slide over it. This is normal. If it bothers you, after you remove the slide stop, place your thumb on the hammer spur and ride the hammer down gently while moving the slide forward off the frame. Also, the 915 has a magazine disconnector so when the magazine is removed, the trigger is inoperable. This is of course if the magazine disconnect is still in the gun. The way to check is with the slide off the frame, press the trigger...it should just be free space and the hammer should not move.

(Bucks County)

When I disassemble my S&W's, I have the decocker on and as the slide comes forward I turn the decocker off. Now the hammer is home and not slapping anything!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise