Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default South Mountain fish & Game gate key for sale

Hi everyone,
    I have discontinued my membership with South Mountain Fish and Game. When I became a member I had to purchase a gate key to the range. This purchase is a one time non refundable cost of $20. I have no use for the key now. I would sooner pass it on to someone else than throw it away. I'll sell it to a club member for $5 just to offset my trouble of meeting them.
    This is a good deal for anyone who is thinking of joining or someone who has lost their key or wants a spare key.
    I need to see a club membership card and $5 in exchange for the key.
    I'll give this about a week or so then throw the key away.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: South Mountain fish & Game gate key for sale

You can take it back to the club. Or Ill take it back up for you. It is still club property.

That's quite the scam that club has with the gate keys. charge $20 for a $2-$3 key and when they leave the club claim it's club property, get key back and give it to the next new member for $20, rinse-repeat.
    Tea actually...I'll kill you with my tea cup.

(Franklin County)

im going to a club meeting and see if i can get the 20.00 non refundable changed to refundable when a gate key is turned in.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    You can take it back to the club. Or Ill take it back up for you. It is still club property.
    I was under the impression that the $20 was a deposit until I called today and talked to someone, they said I could just drop it off but they couldn't refund. They said I "purchased" it. I checked the website and it doesn't say the $20 is refundable.
    I'm not sure how it can be considered club property if I "purchased" it.
    I would sooner hand it off to another member who may need it than use my gas and time to return something to the club just to have them turn around and sell it to someone else for $20.

Sure, you can stop by here and pick it up to take to the club if you would like, show me $5 and your membership card.

In fairness they did tell me to call back this weekend, there would be someone there who I could talk to about a refund. I'll wait to see what is said Sunday.

(Bucks County)

I'm not a member- but I'll buy your property for $10.00-
    Just to for the potential collectors item status. ...and to poke fun at a typical private club scam.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Adams County)

Just an FYI that 20 you paid for the key helps maintain the range so before you bash the club for charging you think about how many ranges there are in the area that you have access to use 7 days a week.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspecterbake View Post
    Just an FYI that 20 you paid for the key helps maintain the range so before you bash the club for charging you think about how many ranges there are in the area that you have access to use 7 days a week.
    I think you'll notice I never bashed the club or bitched about paying the $20. I would just sooner pass this along to someone else who may need a key but doesn't have $20 to pay for it.
    My only complaint is the club's expectation that I'm supposed to drive 30ish miles round trip and take an hour and half of my time to return a key that I bought for $20 and I get nothing but a thank you.
    My time and effort would be better spent letting another club member have it for a very reduced amount (enough to cover whatever effort to meet them).
    I guess I could've skipped the key altogether and walked the 150 yards from the gate to the firing line. Hell, I walk a lot more than that just to the targets and back a few times per visit.
    I didn't do that though, I paid my one time $20 key fee to keep the range open. I'll pass that along to another member as well.