Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I should really stop selling my guns

So over the years I have amassed quite a collection... I have been holding back lately because I don't have as much disposable income as i did last year.

Anyway, I was on a selling spree in November and I accumulated almost $6000 from selling some guns that I didn't feel too bad about parting with. I had plans to get a jeep or something else...Well guess what. I have nothing really to show for it and the $6000 is gone. I kind of kick myself in the ass when i think about where the money went. I guess i can comb through my bank statements but its a little late for that.

Point of the thread is... short of an emergency... i really don't think its a good idea to sell your guns, unless you have the discipline to save for what you really want... I just sold a rock river over the weekend and was going to put the money toward a PS90... but guess what... I spend about half of it already on who knows what... shit i didn't need for sure.

(Berks County)

Default Re: I should really stop selling my guns

Money always finds a way to be spent.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

I think the only way I'd sell some of mine if I was planning on buying something else, like you stated, was if I bought said item right after selling my stuff. Money always tends to disappear way too fast.

(Washington County)

Same thing happens to me too. I parted out my Jeep Cherokee that was a trail riding trailer queen with the goal of spending all the money from it on an MP5 clone pistol. The money ended up going to other things, like a drop ceiling for my basement and some books for grad school.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    So over the years I have amassed quite a collection... I have been holding back lately because I don't have as much disposable income as i did last year.

Anyway, I was on a selling spree in November and I accumulated almost $6000 from selling some guns that I didn't feel too bad about parting with. I had plans to get a jeep or something else...Well guess what. I have nothing really to show for it and the $6000 is gone. I kind of kick myself in the ass when i think about where the money went. I guess i can comb through my bank statements but its a little late for that.

Point of the thread is... short of an emergency... i really don't think its a good idea to sell your guns, unless you have the discipline to save for what you really want... I just sold a rock river over the weekend and was going to put the money toward a PS90... but guess what... I spend about half of it already on who knows what... shit i didn't need for sure.
    No offense, but I think the real point of the thread is that you need a BUDGET. Granted I may take it to the extreme, but I can go back 6 years and tell you in any given month, to the dollar, what my net income was, how much I spent, and exactly what it was spent on. You can learn (and save) an awful lot by studying your spending habits.
    Last edited by BionicMan; March 12th, 2015 at 09:58 AM.

(Tioga County)

Yep, don't have money in your wallet unless you want it spent.

I spent too much last year and my income went down over the winter, so I've been on a budget myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    No offense, but I think the real point of the thread is that you need a BUDGET. Granted I may take it to the extreme, but I can go back 6 years and tell you in any given month, to the dollar, what my net income was, how much I spent, and exactly what it was spent on. You can learn (and save) an awful lot by studying your spending habits.
    I do have a budget with my monthly bills, groceries, etc. I keep it all on an Excel Spreadsheet.

What I am talking about is my disposable income. The money i put towards guns, eating out, ammo, hookers, etc.

Timely thread. After a few years of non stop work things appear to be slowing substantially. I was hoping I could get one more year, but we'll see.

I don't plan on selling any guns. I will do something to make money.
    I will only sell a gun if I have absolutely no need for it. They cost a lot more to replace. If I'm still breathing at 70 I will unload most of what I own.

My budget will definitely need review.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: I should really stop selling my guns

I have a "gun envelope" that money goes into, if available, every week or so or when I sell a gun. I made a deal with myself that it's only gun and ammo money. It's worked out really well. I only take it when I'm going to the gun shop or when I buy a gun online, I deposit the money in my bank account.

It works for me. You need to find something that works for you.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I have a "gun envelope" that money goes into, if available, every week or so or when I sell a gun. I made a deal with myself that it's only gun and ammo money. It's worked out really well. I only take it when I'm going to the gun shop or when I buy a gun online, I deposit the money in my bank account.

It works for me. You need to find something that works for you.....
    I have a seperate bank account that I use like this. I put whatever extra I have every week in it so I don't have to much cash on me. At least it gives me time to think about what I'm buying when I'm on my way to the atm .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast