Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking for a range with rentals

Hey guys! I just moved into Pittsburgh from NJ last week. I got my driver's license and everything else all settled and since I've known for a year that I'd be moving here, I wanted to get my LTCF once everything is all done.

So I have been trying to find a decent place around here that does rentals, because I would like to try something out before buying. Back home, very few people own guns and we don't have carry options at all, so no one owned any of the firearms I'm interested in.

I'm in West View (15229) and the only two places that come up for me on Google are Anthony Arms, which has terrible reviews on Google, and A&S Indoor Pistol Range, which is 50 mins away. Is there anywhere closer that I would be able to do rentals at?

In case anyone's wondering, I'm not a beginner and I own 21 firearms. I'm just looking for places to go shooting around here. Also, the main two firearms I'm considering for when I get my LTCF are a Glock 19 and/or the M&P9c. I doubt I'll be disappointed with either, but I'd really love to get some trigger time in.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Looking for a range with rentals

Commercial ranges are rare around Picksburgh. There are tons of clubs but many of them have closed membership lists.

(Allegheny County)

Yea, I've noticed that since I've been here. I've been dying to get some range time. With the move and everything being so hectic I haven't gotten to shoot in over a month.

(Allegheny County)

Just north of West View here. I've never had any issues at Anthony Arms. Not a frequent visitor, I usually manage to go there mid-week on off-hours. Buying their range ammo is quite literally a price to pay but $10 to rent a gun seems reasonable to me. Certainly got me interested in a Colt 1911.

Most of my range time is at the also much-disparaged State Game Lands in Wexford. Only issue I ever had was a few years ago before the current permit system was in place. I walked up...saw activity I didn't like...I walked away. No rentals there, of course, just giving you another option for the future.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tvtog View Post
    Just north of West View here. I've never had any issues at Anthony Arms. Not a frequent visitor, I usually manage to go there mid-week on off-hours. Buying their range ammo is quite literally a price to pay but $10 to rent a gun seems reasonable to me. Certainly got me interested in a Colt 1911.

Most of my range time is at the also much-disparaged State Game Lands in Wexford. Only issue I ever had was a few years ago before the current permit system was in place. I walked up...saw activity I didn't like...I walked away. No rentals there, of course, just giving you another option for the future.
    Thanks for the input. I have some time off before work and school start so I'll probably go check them out during the day sometime.

I'm pretty familiar with the state game lands ranges. Back in NJ all we had were private ranges with ridiculously expensive membership fees, so I always used to come to PA to shoot at the indoor ranges around Philly and then the game lands for rifle.

(Allegheny County)

FYI the state game lands require a use permit ($30), but this did very little to get rid of the unsafe element there. If you have a hunting license you can also shoot there, its cheaper to get that but you need a hunters education course, I'm not sure how it works if you did not take one in PA. Its still unsafe to shoot there IMHO.

This link documents my dealings with the SGL.

http://forum.pafoa.org/allegheny-27/...xford-sgl.html

PMSC is one of the best clubs around. I also live near you and do not mind making the 40 minute drive to shoot there. A friend of mine in West View is a member and a co-worker is singing up soon and lives out near Robinson.

PAFOA has a group shoots at PMSC. Four per year. The first one is on April 25th. Lots of different type of firearms show up and everyone is usually more than willing to let you shoot theirs. It does not hurt to make requests in the group shoot thread:

http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...-4-2015-a.html

You can also use the opportunity to meet PMSC members for sponsorship if you are so inclined. In addition PMSC offers open to the public Trap and CMP shoots on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Check the calendar for specific times.

http://www.pmsconline.com/

Welcome to PA and PAFOA.
    Last edited by QuackXP; March 12th, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

It's been a few years but I've always liked A&S Range when visiting Pittsburgh.

Depending how you go there, you can hit the Red Caboose in Rostraver for good hot dogs.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-red-caboose-rostraver

(Adams County)

The wife and I went to A&S last weekend, for our first range trip after moving to Pittsburgh in January (we still haven't managed to make it to a PMSC meeting; between work and weather it just hasn't been in the cards for us yet).

They were friendly, fast, quite inexpensive, and the range was well-kept, modulo brass being everywhere since shooters aren't required to police their own.

It was a bit of a drive from the south hills, but worth it. We'll almost certainly be back.

(Allegheny County)

Cool. Looks like I don't need to post an invite to the group shoot now.
    Come on out and join us!

The two ranges mentioned are the only ones I know of that offer rentals.
    I bought my G19 at Anthony Arms nearly 20 years ago I think. I only bought it there because it was slow and they let my wife try a bunch of different rentals so I figured I'd give them that sale. Aside from that, I've never been overly impressed with anything about the place except the amount of inventory. I've probably been there three times since then.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Come to the group shoot! I might even be able to bring some pork roll again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast