Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Question All LEO's Please read

Ok, this thread is not to be taken personally or backlashed on me. I just have an inquiring mind and would like to find an answer. Please im not trying to pick a fight.

Ok, I have read that alot of LEO's that are a member of this site have stated that they did not understand fully the gun laws of pennsylvania until they joined this site and did some research. But if you did not know the laws fully why would u "assume" that open carrying is illegal. And im only saying some LEO's. Please don't take offense. It's just a ? I mean i didnt understand the laws fully until i joined this website and did my own research. But it's not my job to know all the rulz(ok i know i should but nobody knows them all). I was just wandering if when encountering an individual open carrying and you didnt fully know the laws what did you base you actions off of? Just opinion or the rumor mill?

Don't take this the wrong way. Im not trying to be a smart@$$.
    That's how we Stand.
    That's how we Pray.
    That's how we Live.
    That's how we Fight.
    That's how we'll Die.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: All LEO's Please read

Quote Originally Posted by rcshank469 View Post
    *snip*
    Just opinion or the rumor mill?
    Both. More than likely, an officer exercises "common sense". By that, I mean they don't set out to step on civil rights, but "everyone knows" OC is illegal. "Everyone knows" that if you have an LtCF, concealed is the only option. It's a "concealed carry permit" right?

Once they have made that call, if they back down, they risk losing face and by extension, losing control of the scene. Pride is powerful motivator. That's the point where you separate the good cops from the bad. Once the officer is shown the law, or has checked it out, a good one will back off. He may not like it, but the law is the law. The bad...well, they arrest people and take their guns.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Monroe County)

I would venture to add that the whole culture of GUN=BAD plays a large role in the reactions of LEOs, who feel they are the first line of defense against bad guns....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Westmoreland County)

But the people openly exposing the weapons are not the ones to be worried about. I know that plays to ones common sense. I hope!!!
    That's how we Stand.
    That's how we Pray.
    That's how we Live.
    That's how we Fight.
    That's how we'll Die.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Both. More than likely, an officer exercises "common sense". By that, I mean they don't set out to step on civil rights, but "everyone knows" OC is illegal. "Everyone knows" that if you have an LtCF, concealed is the only option. It's a "concealed carry permit" right?

Once they have made that call, if they back down, they risk losing face and by extension, losing control of the scene. Pride is powerful motivator. That's the point where you separate the good cops from the bad. Once the officer is shown the law, or has checked it out, a good one will back off. He may not like it, but the law is the law. The bad...well, they arrest people and take their guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I would venture to add that the whole culture of GUN=BAD plays a large role in the reactions of LEOs, who feel they are the first line of defense against bad guns....

I am not a leo but I agree with what these guys said. if the officer admits that you know more about the law than he does he loses a bit of control. A good part of the officers job is to control situations.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Keep in mind, also, that it is not the police officers that don’t know the rules that are the main problem. The main problem is the police officers that don’t know the rules, don’t bother figuring out what the rules are from a knowledgeable superior, don’t gracefully bow out of the detainment once they do find out what the rules are, or simply don’t care what the rules are.

The latter case is why the police need to be educated. The one’s who simply don’t know, but do their job and find out when the time comes, are unfortunately getting a bad rap because of their colleagues’ bad attitudes.

(Westmoreland County)

I understand what you are trying to say. It does make perfect sense. But if the LEO feels that they are losing control of a cituation be it they did not fully know the laws or they feel threatened being told what the laws actually are y was there a cituation to begin with? As for the police that just don't care what the laws actually states they should be removed from public trust. I'm sorry but if it happens once ok fine, they are told, if it happens all the time thats habit and old habits die hard especially for those of us with big ego's. (us meaning humans) And humans do make mistakes. But why escalate a situation if there wasn't one to begin with?

This is not a message with intent to piss anyone off. Just a differing view that's all...

I'm more of an idealist even tho i know nothing is ideal.

Except for Uumpa Lumpa's
    That's how we Stand.
    That's how we Pray.
    That's how we Live.
    That's how we Fight.
    That's how we'll Die.

(Montgomery County)

Fact of the matter is the job attracts a certain type of personality. The type that won't back down even when they've plainly been shown they are wrong. That makes them even more incensed because they don't like admitting being wrong. If, in the face of facts, the officer refuses to back down, ask for a supervisor. I can't think of any reason why they would decline the presence of a supervisor. They're usually the older, more mature officers (hence being a super.). One can only hope they'll "reign in" the hothead.

(Luzerne County)

How many non-LEO "gun people" do not know open carry is legal??

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    How many non-LEO "gun people" do not know open carry is legal??
    True. There are also the cops that know what is legal or not, but chose to curtail behavior they disagree with even if there is no law against it.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast