Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 915

Default S&W model 915

Just found this Smith & Wesson 915. It looks like it hasn't been fired, finish is perfect, not a scratch or blemish on it. I like how it feels, has a carbon steel slide and alloy frame. Nice and lightweight.

Anybody else like these older S&W autoloaders? I plan to shoot this one a lot, and make it a carry gun. Are these alloy S&W's durable for high round counts?

Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: S&W model 915

I get them in all the time for refinishing after they have seen years of usage from their original owners> the seem to hold up pretty good I never have encountered any with frame of functioning issues.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    I get them in all the time for refinishing after they have seen years of usage from their original owners> the seem to hold up pretty good I never have encountered any with frame of functioning issues.
    Thanks for the input. Seems like a well-made design. Alloy frame autos seem to have gotten a reputation of being less durable than polymer or steel.

(Chester County)

I wish S&W would go back to producing them. I'd take one of their 3rd generation SA/DA pistols over a M&P any day. I'll admit there are better pistols out there, but they are very good looking firearms.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Just found this Smith & Wesson 915. It looks like it hasn't been fired, finish is perfect, not a scratch or blemish on it. I like how it feels, has a carbon steel slide and alloy frame. Nice and lightweight.

Anybody else like these older S&W autoloaders? I plan to shoot this one a lot, and make it a carry gun. Are these alloy S&W's durable for high round counts?

Thanks.

Nice pistol! I'd love to run across one like that.

My dad has a S&W 3914 that he refuses to sell to me. He tells me that I'll get it in time.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I wish S&W would go back to producing them. I'd take one of their 3rd generation SA/DA pistols over a M&P any day. I'll admit there are better pistols out there, but they are very good looking firearms.

Is that the 4506? I've heard great things about those.

This 915 seems comparable in size and weight to a Sig P228.

(Montgomery County)

I have my uncle's 915 that he bought in the early 90's. We've fired a lot of rounds through it over the years with the only issue ever being ammo related. Its been a dependable work horse. I haven't found too many mags for it as of lately though.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a bunch of those old third generation S&W's. They shoot well, if not I'd not own them. My two favorite are the 5903 and 4506. The closest I have to the 915 would be my 908. Buy it, shoot the chit out of it.

(Cumberland County)

They are amazing guns - nice catch. It will serve you well! I have only one of the blued versions, they were made as the "economy versions" but I could never tell other than the finish (blued) what made them economy My blued one is a model 457 and it is awesome. Enjoy!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Thanks DaveIam, pennlineman, cruzans, I appreciate your input.

The ergonomics of this gun are phenomenal. I'm used to carrying a Colt Government 1911 or 4 inch .357 revolver, so this gun also feels light on the hip. Mec Gar makes flush 17 round mags for this gun, I think I'll like those.

I think this is a great blend of size, weight, and capacity in an all metal 9mm. Looks very nice as well. (similar in slide/profile to a Browning Hi-Power).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast