Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Top 7 Survival Habits for Women

Several followers have told me that when they share information from MCS with their wives they often hear the complaint that most of it is good for men, but what about the women.
    As a husband and father of two girls, personal protection for women is very important to me. We teach AAA, Awareness, Avoidance, and Aggression. The thing that I like most about the first two As is that they are mostly mental, draw little to no attention to yourself, and if done habitually will help you avoid 99% of the scenarios where Aggression would be necessary. The other issue is that many times women are not alone. They have the kids with them, so being aware and avoiding any potentially dangerous situation is even more vital. So, without further ado, here are the top personal protection habits for women.

1- Trust your intuition- in my experience, women have much better intuition than men because they are naturally more often the victim of unprovoked attacks. Unfortunately, they also are more likely to discount these feelings because of not wanting to appear rude. Save that for people you know. When it comes to strangers, error on the side of survival and trust your instincts.

2- Back your vehicle in or pull through whenever possible- many assaults and abductions take place around vehicles. When your vehicle is pulled nose in, it is too easy to make the habit of just opening the door and getting in. When you are backed in, you are forced to turn around once you have approached the car and this gives you another chance to check your surroundings. Also, if you have car trouble, it is much easier to get a jump start and you will be facing forward if you need to wait for assistance.

3- Be the last in and the first out of any door- whether it is the door to your office or the door to the parking garage, be the courteous one and let everyone go before you and leave before they do. Never let anyone get between you and the door.

4- Stay off your phone in open areas- there are only really three types of areas; vehicles, structures, and open places. In vehicle and structures you can secure yourself or at least put your back against the wall as you get lost in your phone. This is not possible in open areas. A good rule of thumb is to stay off your phone unless you have something you can lean against.

5- Putting the kids in the vehicle- develop a way of doing things and stick to it. For many Moms deploying to Wal Mart with the clan mean lots of car seat and seat belt buckling. When possible, park close to other cars but leave space all the way around if possible. This way if you are distracted while loading the kids, it is harder for someone to sneak up on you. Enlist the help of the older kids to keep an eye out for danger and you deal with the little ones. Tell them to let you know if anyone approaches the vehicle. If space will allow, lock yourself in while getting the kids buckled in. Don’t be in the back of an unsecured vehicle with the engine running. It is too easy for someone to jump in the driver’s seat and take off.

6- Be wary of anyone trying to stop your movement- This may come in the form of someone asking for money or simply just blocking your path. Red flags should pop up. Get in the habit of saying “no thank you” without stopping. A great way to practice this is walking past kiosks at the mall.

7- Don’t be afraid to scream- noise of any kind is the best way to get attention. Shocking statements like “fire” and “leave me alone” are best.

Default Re: Top 7 Survival Habits for Women

Good advice for anyone.

#4 needs to be #1...it hasn't been drilled into heads yet and makes people most vulnerable. They lose all situational awareness when their phone is the object of their attention. To quote someone I heard talking about the subject, "phones are attention zombies."

(Allegheny County)

This is a good list for EVERYONE not just women. Can the OP please cite the source?

I never thought much about #3 as regards to it forces you to turn around. But I always did think it made it easier to put the door between you and an attacker and its easier to pull forward out of a space in one motion under stress vs having two motions and less visibility when backing out.

Ill add a couple driving tips I picked up.

1. Lock your doors. It does not take much to form a habit to do this.

2. When coming to a stop, if you cant see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you then you are to close. If you had to attempt an escape chances are you will just run into the back of the car in front of you.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    This is a good list for EVERYONE not just women. Can the OP please cite the source?

I never thought much about #3 as regards to it forces you to turn around. But I always did think it made it easier to put the door between you and an attacker and its easier to pull forward out of a space in one motion under stress vs having two motions and less visibility when backing out.

Ill add a couple driving tips I picked up.

1. Lock your doors. It does not take much to form a habit to do this.

2. When coming to a stop, if you cant see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you then you are to close. If you had to attempt an escape chances are you will just run into the back of the car in front of you.
    Im somewhat against locking my doors while driving, due the event of a fire, crash into water etc in which these systems could go due to the electronic compenet invovled in operation. I also have a seatbelt cutter and glass breaker handy as well

but to each his own...i understand both sides of this coin

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Im somewhat against locking my doors while driving, due the event of a fire, crash into water etc in which these systems could go due to the electronic compenet invovled in operation. I also have a seatbelt cutter and glass breaker handy as well

but to each his own...i understand both sides of this coin
    I've thought about "what if I need rescued?" scenario, but working in a fairly crime-ridden city, I do lock the doors immediately. I have had thuggish-looking people approach my car as soon as I sat down to beg for money or a smoke. One instance was a little concerning as I had just rolled my window down halfway and a bum was asking for money for a cab...and I was already planning in my head what I would have to do if he reached through.

The chances of me getting jacked or mugged in the city are far greater than me being trapped in the car in my opinion.

(Lycoming County)

I believe the OP is the source.

Be safe (and check out the link in his signature).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I believe the OP is the source.

Be safe (and check out the link in his signature).

Scott

http://moderncombativesystems.blogsp...for-women.html

This guy is the source. This you, mercop?