Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default RIA 1911 ejection issues

Good morning PAFOA,

Last night, the wife and I went to the club to do a little shooting at the archery range and indoor pistol. I have a fairly NIB RIA 1911 tactical that I wanted to break in. First mag ran fine with no issues, but the next 5 mags (all different) is when the problem occurred...

On the last round, and the last round only, this is what happens...

So, as shown, the last round fires and during extraction/ejection some how the tail end gets jammed back into the mag and the nose gets pinched on the ejection port of the slide. When I say jammed I mean really jammed in there and very difficult to remove.

Has anyone seen this issue? Is it an extractor problem? I have not stripped it down as of yet, but what do you guys think? Should I just send it in for repair and not mess with it?

Thanks,

ZSWARTLEY

PS: On a positive note, this thing is dead nuts accurate and cycles very nicely on everything but the last round.
    Last edited by zswartley; March 10th, 2015 at 07:55 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: RIA 1911 ejection issues

Try shooting without a mag in the gun, a well tuned 1911 ought to eject every empty. If it doesn't, make sure the ejector is well fixed and add a little tension to the extractor.

If the gun ejects empties without a mag inserted, but, not with a mag, there is a chance the mag is sitting too high, that would be a manufacturing defect and I would return it.

YMMV

(Northampton County)

Biggest issue with the rock island pistols is the mag , get some Chip McCormack or Wilson Combat Mags. Is it a new pistol ?
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck View Post
    Try shooting without a mag in the gun, a well tuned 1911 ought to eject every empty. If it doesn't, make sure the ejector is well fixed and add a little tension to the extractor.

If the gun ejects empties without a mag inserted, but, not with a mag, there is a chance the mag is sitting too high, that would be a manufacturing defect and I would return it.

YMMV
    Good suggestion, thanks. I will give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    Biggest issue with the rock island pistols is the mag , get some Chip McCormack or Wilson Combat Mags. Is it a new pistol ?
    Yes, it is a new pistol that I have owned for a little while and have not shot yet. The first thing I did when I received it was to throw away the factory mag. This failure happened with (2) Chip McCormack 8 rnd, (1) Chip M. powermag 10 rnd, (1) Wilson 8rnd, and (1) SA 7rnd.

I can safely say it is not the mag as all of these run fine in my other 1911's.

The case getting jammed in there and dented is a result of the slide not locking back after the last round was fired, but why is that case still there? Why didn't it eject like the others? Answer is pretty obvious. The next round in the mag helps the extractor hold the casing so it can ride up a little and get ejected. It can't do that when there isn't another round in the mag. Your mags or ammo are not likely the problem. You need some tension added to the extractor.

Any way you can post a pic of the back of the gun...just to see how the extractor looks from the back?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Erie County)

Insert each mag, emptied, into gun, then pull back slide and release. Does the slide lock up?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

My first question is how well did you clean it. I've had a number of RIA 1911's and they all needed cleaning and oiled. That said, What the others here have said about the Mag's is on point.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    The case getting jammed in there and dented is a result of the slide not locking back after the last round was fired, but why is that case still there? Why didn't it eject like the others? Answer is pretty obvious. The next round in the mag helps the extractor hold the casing so it can ride up a little and get ejected. It can't do that when there isn't another round in the mag. Your mags or ammo are not likely the problem. You need some tension added to the extractor.

Any way you can post a pic of the back of the gun...just to see how the extractor looks from the back?
    I will get some more photos tonight. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Insert each mag, emptied, into gun, then pull back slide and release. Does the slide lock up?
    I will definitely do this and report back. As it has sat around for some time after I purchased it I would figure I have done this and all works fine, but i do not specifically recall. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    My first question is how well did you clean it. I've had a number of RIA 1911's and they all needed cleaning and oiled. That said, What the others here have said about the Mag's is on point.
    It was field stripped, cleaned, and lubed, but I did not detail strip/clean it. I will detail strip tonight and post more photos of what is found in the AM. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    He's having issues with all the mags, so it can't be a mag problem. The slide isn't locking back on the last round. A 1911 can eject rounds with a recoil spring that's too stiff, but keep it from going back far enough to lock on last round (weak ammo will do the same thing). That doesn't explain why the last casing didn't eject. If the slide locks back like 'Gun' suggests, then the extractor is the only thing it could be. Making sure the slide gets back far enough to lock on the last round is also a concern, as well. That could be something as simple as it being tight in that spot (slide to frame fit gets snug just before slide lock...that would take some warm ammo to get past it, or some hand racking to lap in, some).

I have handled a couple RIA 9mm's that were extremely tight, and one of my 9mm PT 1911's was so tight, the casings only fell out of the E port. I actually lapped it in with some 3-M super duty and it took a good number of hand racks to loosen it just to tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast