Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning BT99

Default Browning BT99

I need the wisdom of the forum. I am now retired and going to return to trap shooting. I have not shot trap in 5 yrs. I have A BT 99 that I picked up a few yrs ago. I have not had any real time to shoot it. That changes tomorrow. My average when I was shooting trap (stoeger condor supreme) was 22 with a few 25s thrown in for good measure. With this BT 99 (12ga. 32" barrel) I am lucky to hit 20 birds. I have a complete set of chokes for this shotgun. What choke for trap shooting?
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Browning BT99

I'd shoot an improved modified choke out of a BT99.

To begin to address the drop in score, I would start with eye/ barrel alignment. Go to your bathroom (***make sure your gun is unloaded***) and mount the gun looking in the mirror. The pupil of your eye should be directly above the bead. If you're lining up well, next time you're out there stack the beads, open your other eye and call for the bird. Don't aim, just look at the bird. Your brain will compute the firing solution. If not: You're going to need to hit the patterning board and will most likely have to make comb/ rib adjustments for a 70/30 pattern. There should be some guys at your field who will more than happy to help you.

This advice is only meant to get you over the hump to pick up a couple birds next time you're out. You're still going to need to hit the patterning board and will most likely to make comb/ rib adjustments for a 70/30 pattern.

Hope this helps.

Frank

I went out today and shot around of trap. I nailed the first 5 without a problem. I then started thinking about what I was doing when I hit one. the score went to 4 then to 3 and finished with 2 more 3's. One miss was because of poor placement on the shoulder. Some more misses were because I was way high, as in the bird was below the barrel when I fired. Most misses were hard right. Thinking about it my foot placement was wrong. It did not allow me to swing right. I do plan on patterning the gun this week.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

I didn't use a BT99 when I was active in trap.(out of my price range at the time) However the improved modified choke worked for me in my Browning pump.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    I went out today and shot around of trap. I nailed the first 5 without a problem. I then started thinking about what I was doing when I hit one. the score went to 4 then to 3 and finished with 2 more 3's. One miss was because of poor placement on the shoulder. Some more misses were because I was way high, as in the bird was below the barrel when I fired. Most misses were hard right. Thinking about it my foot placement was wrong. It did not allow me to swing right. I do plan on patterning the gun this week.
    Truthfully, from 16 yards you can break 25's all day with any gun, any choke, any ammo if you are on your game and assuming nothing is dreadfully wrong with the gun. If you are losing focus and breaking 2 or 3 at a station it has nothing to do with the fit of the gun and everything to do with looking "up" for the break (high misses, your eye is the rear sight) and/or stopping the gun to see if you hit the target (missing behind). Swing and follow through, bro, and keep your d*** head down on the stock ;->

(Westmoreland County)

Good advice from all....and RobW. Also, as a relative newbie to this, make sure when you place your feet.....you keep them their the entire 5 shots. Don't move them as your shot alignment will then move. So, when you get to your "spot" set your feet, mount your gun (empty) and take a few "dry runs" of swinging where the birds could fly out of the trap. If you feel comfy with that, then keep your feet planted there....if not, move your feet until you do....then keep your feet planted.

And as was said....cheek on "cheek weld"! Why do you think they call it a "cheek weld"???

I can't swear to it but I keep my head down on the OU I have. I really like watching the birds break and I had a heck of a time breaking that habit. The swing and follow through I think is a problem the barrel is 4" longer than the OU and it seems like it swings slow. I am going out again this week end after I pattern the BT99

(Westmoreland County)

Longer guns do swing slower. Think of a baseball bat when you were a kid. The short ones were quick 'n easy to swing fast....but they didn't achieve the energy to knock the ball out of the park that the longer ones did. Not that the longer shotguns allow for more energy....but they will keep the pattern tighter for a little longer.

BTW....here is an interesting read...FWIW http://www.herosarms.com/Selecting.htm#Length-of-Pull

(Berks County)

I have the best luck with a full choke in my BT-99, I have not gave a true test to pattern the other chokes.

(Westmoreland County)

Most of what I've read and heard from experienced trap guys is use a full choke all the time. Read your breaks and get an idea how you're shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast