Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Missing 13 y/o Newtown Square boy found dead of self-inflicted GSW

Sad news from the coroner's office that a 13 y/o kid missing from Newtown Square, PA, died of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. The kid went missing last Wednesday, the night of a major Philly-area snowstorm, after receiving a call from a teacher about not completing a project or a bad grade or something. The kid apparently became very upset and left the house abruptly, and now it's reported he took a gun from the family home with him.
    Waiting for the fall-out over the use of the family firearm. It's reported the gun had a "gun lock" but the young man was able to remove or disable.
    The family owns a multi-million dollar home on some 13-17 acres in an affluent, up-scale area. I mention this only because I'm wondering if a new, well-financed anti-gun crusade is about to be launched out of this tragedy...

http://6abc.com/news/medical-examine...-wound/545977/
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Missing 13 y/o Newtown Square boy found dead of self-inflicted GSW

All those press together trigger locks are easily defeated with nothing more than a small screw driver. No one should rely upon them to secure a firearm with any child older than 3.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Prayers sent. So sad and pointless.

My dad told me something when I was younger. He said that if it is bad enough to kill yourself tonight, then it should be bad enough to do it in the morning. Don't ever contemplate suicide in the evening when emotions are high and you are at your wit's end.

Don't get me wrong, my dad never condoned suicide. This was last resort advice, and I hear it might have saved some people over the years.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    All those press together trigger locks are easily defeated with nothing more than a small screw driver. No one should rely upon them to secure a firearm with any child older than 3.
    I had firearms and ammo in my bedroom when I was 13. Or maybe it was 14, I'm not sure. That type of decision is going to vary by parent and kid of course.

But your greater point is acknowledged, a trigger lock is not a baby sitter.

(Allegheny County)

Default Another head shot

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I mention this only because I'm wondering if a new, well-financed anti-gun crusade is about to be launched out of this tragedy...
    We will probably also hear about how it is "unfair" to grade the work of students in school, or even expect them to bother completing any work, as it leads to head shots like this one and other horrible things. The recommended solution will be to allow the completion of work to be optional, especially for those less-fortunate students who may not have the proper home environment to allow them to complete school work, let alone make high marks.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I had firearms and ammo in my bedroom when I was 13. Or maybe it was 14, I'm not sure. That type of decision is going to vary by parent and kid of course.

But your greater point is acknowledged, a trigger lock is not a baby sitter.
    I have to wonder how much pressure was put on this kid to get constant high grades that he felt his only solution to getting a bad one was suicide. I've made it clear with my kids that I don't expect them to be 100% correct on everything, and that getting somethings wrong is just a part of life. I don't want to see them stressed the way I've seen some kids in school.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Another head shot

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    We will probably also hear about how it is "unfair" to grade the work of students in school, or even expect them to bother completing any work, as it leads to head shots like this one and other horrible things. The recommended solution will be to allow the completion of work to be optional, especially for those less-fortunate students who may not have the proper home environment to allow them to complete school work, let alone make high marks.
    Except this kid attended the exclusive Shipley School in Bryn Mawr on the Philadelphia Main Line. It's one of those exclusive Ivy-league prep schools where students are under pressure from parents and peers to excel in order to get into the right college.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

I live about 20 minute drive from where he lived. Local media has been abuzz with the fact that he was missing and his description. It is all too sad that this boy felt he had to take his life. The story is that his parents received an email from a teacher expressing that he was not meeting his school obligations. When the parents confronted him he left the house and the rest is now history.

I think this story should be a wake up call for parents. Children live in a high pressure world where achievement is everything. I am so happy that when either of our two kids were underachieving my wife and I sat them down, did not chastise them, and worked through what was going wrong. My kids are now 35 and 40 years old and doing well.

I have to place some blame on the parents in this case. Based upon the news reports they are wealthy and privileged. I do not begrudge them that achievement. I am just sad to hear that they did not have to common sense to understand how to deal with a kid having a problem.

Too sad!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Another head shot

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Except this kid attended the exclusive Shipley School in Bryn Mawr on the Philadelphia Main Line. It's one of those exclusive Ivy-league prep schools where students are under pressure from parents and peers to excel in order to get into the right college.
    Sure. And clearly the parents here wasted their money. But that won't keep others from rewriting the narrative to suit their agenda.

http://www.palycampanile.org/archives/1215

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/wor....html?intc=mcs

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I have to wonder how much pressure was put on this kid to get constant high grades that he felt his only solution to getting a bad one was suicide. I've made it clear with my kids that I don't expect them to be 100% correct on everything, and that getting somethings wrong is just a part of life. I don't want to see them stressed the way I've seen some kids in school.
    People say there are no bad dogs, only bad owners. That is not true. Same with kids. Some are defective, some are fragile, some are demon spawn.

Putting that aside, I think love and hope are more important than what standards a kid is held to or what stress they are exposed to. Obviously you don't want to run your kid through a combine 24/7. But I think an understanding of how adversity and mistakes (like you said) fit into what is important in life, and a solid base in God and the family will generally ground, motivate, and embolden a person.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast